2016 and I recently discover Takanori Gomi..

Gomi is virtually universally loved by folks who were following MMA during his run. And for good reason.

Gomi is a fun guy to discover. Good fights? You can watch nearly all of them. He is just an exciting fighter. Start with his first and go all the way through them.

Homeboy definitely brought it in the mid 00's but now he is just one in a long list of Japanese fighters that suddenly suck the second the plane touches down at McCarran Las Vegas.

He's certainly one of my favourites... I've always rooted for him, can't think of a single sight I didn't, and I'm a huge Diaz, BJ, and Chute Boxe fan, but there was something special about Gomi... He was also a borderline psycho back in the day, with a horrific ego, much like Chute Boxe, and because it was just him on his own it just made him seem more awesome.

Plus the guy threw the most crazy hadoken punches...

His fight with BJ was what people pointed to for a long time as evidence Penn was the LW GOAT. So, says a lot about Gomi essentially being that era's #2 LW.

The only time I rooted against Gomi was when he fought Penn. Other than that, I've always been a supporter. It's just insane how irrelevant he is now, considering the great first half of a career he had.

Gomi is the Japanese god of War.

Seeing the crowd go absolutely bananas when his name came up in Pride intros was the best. He'd just be like 'I know'.

Gomi is awesome.

So happy to have seen him fight live at UFC172. Lots of people there were rooting for him too. Wish he entered the UFC in his prime, but at least he got that badass Griffin KO and some other wins too.

Glad that a newer fan can look back and appreciate the old dogs and pioneers of the lighter weights. Gomi is a beast, his boxing was amazing for a Japanese fighter. You should also look up Norifumi Yamamoto another great fighter. It's a shame these guys got into the UFC late into their careers.

Gomi pre golyaev robbery was the best lw on the planet aside from BJ. His style was so exciting and he always went for it, NEVER EVER played it safe. he was the complete antithesis of gsp. Huge huge fan of that Gomi, probably one of my 3 favorites of all time. His ufc run has been a gargantuan disappointment, save for the Ville-Flagg fight and the Tyson griffin KO, he has been abysmal.

Thanks for all the comments, already watch Penn, Pulver, Sakurai and Griffin fight. What a fighter! love his style.

I would of loved to get Gomi vs Sakurai one more time.

Gomi pre golyaev robbery was the best lw on the planet aside from BJ.

I always wondered what his career trajectory would have been like had he gone to Dream or straight to the UFC after Pride closed down.

Grappling match between Gomi and Uno. Shame we never got a proper MMA match between the two.

He's probably the #2 LW ever behind BJ.

Gomi at one point was very highly regarded but i'd say he's a little underrated in the big picture by most, he was a fucking beast at his best.

Thanks for all the comments, already watch Penn, Pulver, Sakurai and Griffin fight. What a fighter! love his style.
How about Gomi vs Kawajiri in PRIDE? Please watch that if you haven't, great fight.

If you can't dig The Fireball Kid then fuck you!

He catches a little shit for going after the chute box guy after the fight was over, but I'm still a huge fan

WAR GOMI!

1678t1s.gif

Back