2015 Academy Awards (BIRDMAN Wins Best Picture and Director)

Just got done with American Sniper. 9/10. Bradley was incredible. I have him number 1 in the best actor category. I gave boyhood an 8.5 so I rate this a tad above that for my best picture. Still need to see Selma, Foxcatcher and Birdcage.

When you see Birdman you might change your mind on the Front Runner for Best Actor.

Just got done with American Sniper. 9/10. Bradley was incredible. I have him number 1 in the best actor category. I gave boyhood an 8.5 so I rate this a tad above that for my best picture. Still need to see Selma, Foxcatcher and Birdcage.

Film was garbage, and Goober is a terrible actor. His best was Hangover, and everything after that was shit. He's a poor man's Daniel Stern.

I actually agree that American Sniper was damn good and I don't really see all the flack. Just got back now and while yes the narrative is a little standard (think The Imitation Game where it seems like most other biopics you've seen without really adding its own really notable mark), the movie was very well made and involving throughout. I think Cooper was very good and the only reason he's getting heat is because his nomination meant Jake G. and David O. got the short end. DiCaprio missing out on best supporting actor nom for Django was to me one of the bigger snubs of the past few years though because I couldn't really see how Alan Arkin doing his usual Alan Arkin schtick was more deserving than him. My point being- it happens- sometimes actors who deserve it get left in the cold. Keaton's winning everything anyway so it's all sort of moot.

*when I say that narrative was standard, I don't mean Kyle's story itself which is an amazing one. I just mean the way the film unfolds and is done is your sort of typical biopic format- just with a bit less backstory than they usually have.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
Princess Kaguya
Wait, wait, wait, wait....what in the Batman's blue balls? Where in the fuck is The LEGO Movie? This was the surest lock in any category this year as far as I'm concerned. Did it not qualify because some of it was live action?

I just did a search of the thread and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only poster left agape. There better be some technical/bureaucratic explanation for this snub. Fucking disgrace. Oh, and 8 nominees in the Best Picture again when there are 10 slots leaving out films this radically innovative and interesting while the same, tired, formulaic humdrum like The Imitation Game gets a nomination. Man, the Oscars is really losing touch. It's turning into the Grammy's for movies.

Also, Brad Pitt deserved a nomination over Cumberbatch and Cooper. The snub of Fury is another reason this year sucks, and another example of the Academy's weakening grasp on serious relevance. Apparently Fury wasn't a war drama on the level of War Horse.

Last edited:
Man, the Oscars is really losing touch. It's turning into the Grammy's for movies.

THIS

#1 Jake snubbed for best actor in Nightcrawler. He was amazing, even if the film didn't do that much beyond give him a sandbox for his fantastic, and (more impotantly)- ORIGINAL character.

#2. Whiplash director snubbed.

#3. Jodorowsky's Dune snubbed for best doc.

#4. Lego snub.

In my opinion it was good enough to warrant a best picture nomination for sure. We've seen far shittier fare get nominated for the big one. I thought Imitation Game was damn solid just a bit standard and narratively derivative (seemed like many other types of biopic movies with the jumping time line- didn't really bring anything new to the table). But I'll be damned if Cumberbatch didn't bring his a game particularly in that final scene with Knighley. Really well done scene.

Nah. I agree that we've seen shitter films nominated but we've also never been so overly familiar with every part of that formula the way we are now. It was worth a watch, but didn't do anything worth an award. The last scene actually bothered me a lot, although I agree it was well acted.

(think The Imitation Game where it seems like most other biopics you've seen without really adding its own really notable mark)

Not just that, but the way certain parts were tacked on made it feel like it was reaching to be good at everything, without doing a great job of anything.

Oh, and 8 nominees in the Best Picture again when there are 10 slots leaving out films this radically innovative and interesting while the same, tired, formulaic humdrum like The Imitation Game gets a nomination.

Pretty much. Although 8 still feels like a lot.

Hard to see American Sniper winning anything because the Oscars are basically run by a bunch of libtards.

All of the nominations are clearly just part of their nefarious scheme.

THIS

#1 Jake snubbed for best actor in Nightcrawler. He was amazing, even if the film didn't do that much beyond give him a sandbox for his fantastic, and (more impotantly)- ORIGINAL character.

#2. Whiplash director snubbed.

#3. Jodorowsky's Dune snubbed for best doc.

#4. Lego snub.

This might be the biggest snub of all.

Jodorowsky's Dune is a 2013 film.

Not like it was nominated last year either though.

Man, the Oscars is really losing touch. It's turning into the Grammy's for movies.

Losing touch? It lost touch a long, long time ago. I can't remember the last time I took the Oscars seriously.

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel the other day and although it's pretty good, it's not really exceptional. It has a great cast, but most of them just have small parts. It's mainly Rape Fiennes and his young love interest, Zero (don't know the name of the actor). I guess he spends so much time with Zero to offset all of the old hags he's banging. I'm not sure the movie is all that interesting outside of M. Gustave. It's the only movie I've seen from the Best Picture nominees so far, so I can't comment any further.

I agree with all of the people wondering where the The Lego Movie nomination is at. I usually don't care for animated movies and expected to not really care for it, but I ended up liking it.

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel the other day and although it's pretty good, it's not really exceptional. It has a great cast, but most of them just have small parts. It's mainly Rape Fiennes and his young love interest, Zero (don't know the name of the actor). I guess he spends so much time with Zero to offset all of the old hags he's banging. I'm not sure the movie is all that interesting outside of M. Gustave. It's the only movie I've seen from the Best Picture nominees so far, so I can't comment any further.

I agree with all of the people wondering where the The Lego Movie nomination is at. I usually don't care for animated movies and expected to not really care for it, but I ended up liking it.

I agree with you re: Budapest. I'm a big fan of W.A., but I felt this movie got bogged down with too many guest stars/characters that took away from developing the story -- which I thought could have been amazing had some of the cast been cut out.

I haven't seen Selma or the Theory of Everything, but I've seen the rest and
Whiplash is the best movie of the bunch. Birdman is awesome with enough quirky originality and sentimental value (Keaton) to take home a lot of awards, but Whiplash is the best movie this year. I would recommend you see that next if its still in theaters by you.

I agree with you re: Budapest. I'm a big fan of W.A., but I felt this movie got bogged down with too many guest stars/characters that took away from developing the story -- which I thought could have been amazing had some of the cast been cut out.

I am by no means an advocate for GBH, but how does this surprise you? Most of those characters were Wes regulars. All of his films have ensemble casts, no matter how minor the role.

I am by no means an advocate for GBH, but how does this surprise you? Most of those characters were Wes regulars. All of his films have ensemble casts, no matter how minor the role.

It didn't surprise me. Once I saw how fucking enormous the cast was I was worried. I was still disappointed in how it turned out. I think, mainly, because of what could have been. A lot of that could have been left in the editing room, and other parts could have been developed.

Snubs that stick out for me:

Best Picture:
Gone Girl

Best Score:
Trent Reznor, Gone Girl

Best Director:
David Fincher, Gone Girl

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Gillian Something Or Other, Gone Girl

Best Supporting Actor:
Tyler Perry, Gone Girl

Did I Mention:
I Loved Gone Girl

Oh shit, no nom for Jake G in Nightcrawler for Best Actor?

That's some shit too. Dude was amazing.

Back