Movies Tom Wilkinson, Star of ‘The Full Monty’ and Two-Time Oscar Nominee, Dies at 75

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very good actor. RIP

Tom_Wilkinson.jpg

Tom Wilkinson, the British actor who appeared in films including “The Full Monty,” “Shakespeare in Love” and “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” died Saturday in the U.K., the BBC reported. He was 75.

“It is with great sadness that the family of Tom Wilkinson announce that he died suddenly at home on December 30. His wife and family were with him,” the statement from his family to the BBC read.

He won a BAFTA for supporting actor for “The Full Monty,” in which he plays an unemployed steel worker who joins a male striptease dance group who decide to strip completely — “go the full Monty” — in order to make money. Wilkinson reprised his role as Gerald in “The Full Monty” for the recent Disney+ series which revisited the characters 26 years later.

Wilkinson was Oscar-nominated for his roles in “Michael Clayton,” in which he played an attorney who has a manic episode; and Todd Fields’ “In the Bedroom,” as the doctor husband to Sissy Spacek’s character.

Variety‘s Todd McCarthy wrote about his “In the Bedroom” role in a 2001 review, saying, “In an about-face from his fine turn as the arrogant Gen. Cornwallis in ‘The Patriot,’ Wilkinson gives enormously sympathetic shadings to Matt, who comes off as an ideal father and quite a good husband, Ruth’s later objections notwithstanding; it’s a large, warm-blooded performance.”

Wilkinson also appeared in films such as “Rush Hour,” in which he played the evil British ambassador, and “The Grand Budapest Hotel.” He also had roles in “The Green Hornet,” “Batman Begins,” “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.”

On television, he played Benjamin Franklin in “John Adams,” James A. Baker in “Recount,” for which he was Emmy-nominated and Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. in “The Kennedys.”

He once again played a historical American in Ava DuVernay’s feature “Selma.”

Born Yorkshire, Wilkinson attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and then began acting on TV in programs including “Martin Chuzzlewit,” with a small part in “Sense and Sensibility” in 1995.

Wilkinson is survived by his wife, actor Diana Hardcastle, and two daughters.

Great actor. Ugly as a woman, but great actor. He was very good in The Patriot as well, a movie that doesn’t get enough credit.

Bugger. :(

Bloody good actor, who could play a wide range of characters.

RIP and condolences to his family.

He was great as Gen. Cornwallis in the Patriot. Probably even better as Benjamin Franklin in John Adams.

I think his performance in Michael Clayton is still one of the best acting performances I've ever seen.

RIP. Sad one for sure- he wasn’t particularly old. I think of him as one of those consistently great actors who could deliver regardless of the size of the role.

I think his performance in Michael Clayton is still one of the best acting performances I've ever seen.

He was great in that.

The scene in In the Bedroom where he and Spacek go at each other with all the vitriol of a couple on the brink due to terrible trauma is probably one of the more visceral, realistic type of marital arguments I’ve seen in a film. Two great actors. I thought the film itself was a bit uneven but their performances were riveting and both could have certainly won the award that year.

I probably think of him in movies like Rush Hour, The Patriot, Michael Clayton and Batman Begins. He had a good run.

Really liked him in The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

RIP

Back