1994: The Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction

Morgan Freeman Narration is way more epic than slow pace of Pulp Fiction. My only favorite parts of Pulp Fiction are when Uma Od's and Marcellus gets ass raped

Shawshank is great, but PF is on it's own level.

Either way imagine giving Forrest fucking Gump the Oscar over both these classics.

<45>

"You know, most movies that win a lot of Oscars, I can't stand. "Sophie's Choice", "Ordinary People", "Kramer vs. Kramer", "Gandhi". All that stuff is safe, geriatric, coffee-table dog shit. Like that Merchant-Ivory clap-trap. All those assholes make are unwatchable movies from unreadable books. They ain't plays, they ain't books, they certainly ain't movies, they're films. And do you know what films are? They're for people who don't like movies. "Mad Max", that's a movie. "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", that's a movie. "Rio Bravo", that's a movie. "Rumble Fish", that's a fuckin' movie. And, "Coming Home in a Body Bag", that's a movie. It was the first movie with balls to win a lot of Oscars since the "The Deer Hunter"."

"You know, most movies that win a lot of Oscars, I can't stand. "Sophie's Choice", "Ordinary People", "Kramer vs. Kramer", "Gandhi". All that stuff is safe, geriatric, coffee-table dog shit. Like that Merchant-Ivory clap-trap. All those assholes make are unwatchable movies from unreadable books. They ain't plays, they ain't books, they certainly ain't movies, they're films. And do you know what films are? They're for people who don't like movies. "Mad Max", that's a movie. "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", that's a movie. "Rio Bravo", that's a movie. "Rumble Fish", that's a fuckin' movie. And, "Coming Home in a Body Bag", that's a movie. It was the first movie with balls to win a lot of Oscars since the "The Deer Hunter"."

Lee Donowitz was a criminally underrated Director, yeah.

Little known fact, his father was in Inglorious Basterds and was known as Bear Jew!

Shawshank

Love Pulp Fiction tho
Exactly this!
tenor.gif

Was in my 20's when I saw both for the first time, so obviously I preferred the cool and slick gangster movie, now I don't even watch it when it's on TV.

Shawshank for me

Pulp fiction

SR is masterful though

If we are talking about textbook cinematic film..... Shawshank has it all.

buf if you're looking for more style and originality = PULP fiction

Pulp Fiction but both are great movies.

I’ve read separate Interviews from both Darabont & King, stating they basically pulled theme, ideation, and dialogue from every prison movie they’d seen and mashed it together.

And no, I’m not going to dig around the Internet for the 20 year old articles.

Having said that, in terms of watchability Shawshank wins hands down.

You’re bored on Saturday afternoon, turn on your tv, and it’s midway through Shawshank? You are going to finish the rest of it. We all have a handful of movies where this is the case.

Pulp Fuction? Not so much.

Shawshank by far. I only gave Pulp Fiction a 4 out of 10.

For me it comes down to PULP FICTION's superior handling of tension and immediacy. SHAWSHANK is a pleasant enough watch: good texture, great characters, easy to follow and root for. Sparkling moments but it deflates like a hot air balloon anytime Andy leaves the narrative. Woo prison life. So go the trappings of a film that endeavors to capture the slow molasses no-time feel of waiting for nothing to happen.

PULP FICTION feels like real memories about crazy ass nights you barely survived.

Lee Donowitz was a criminally underrated Director, yeah.

Little known fact, his father was in Inglorious Basterds and was known as Bear Jew!

Clarence would definitely have preffered Robins in Jacobs Ladder to Shawshank as well.

Pulp Fiction is much better.

Shawshank Redemption isn’t even that good.

***This intensification of inner life helped the prisoner
find a refuge from the emptiness, desolation and spirit-
ual poverty of his existence
, by letting him escape into
the past. When given free rein, his imagination played
with past events, often not important ones, but minor
happenings and trifling things. His nostalgic memory
glorified them and they assumed a strange character.
Their world and their existence seemed very distant
and the spirit reached out for them longingly: In my
mind I took bus rides, unlocked the front door of my
apartment, answered my telephone, switched on the
electric lights. Our thoughts often centered on such
details, and these memories could move one to tears.

As the inner life of the prisoner tended to become
more intense, he also experienced the beauty of art
and nature as never before.
Under their influence he
sometimes even forgot his own frightful circum-
stances.***

***In spite of all the enforced physical and mental
primitiveness of the life in a concentration camp, it
was possible for spiritual life to deepen. Sensitive
people who were used to a rich intellectual life may
have suffered much pain (they were often of a delicate
constitution), but the damage to their inner selves was
less. They were able to retreat from their terrible
surroundings to a life of inner riches and spiritual
freedom.

***He talked about the many comrades who had died
in the last few days, either of sickness or of suicide.
But he also mentioned what may have been the real
reason for their deaths: giving up hope.

https://archive.org/stream/MansSearchForMeaningViktorE.Frankel/Man's+Search+For+Meaning+-+Viktor+E.+Frankel_djvu.txt

Last edited:
Shawshank is one the top 5 movies of all time so Shawshank wins

Back