18 million views on Ronda's fight so far

So why doesnt UFC take the fight down?

Because facebook video is like the wild west right now. Youtube and Vimeo have DMCA scans and copyright claims that anyone can use to remove infringements. Facebook, on the other hand, is a cesspool of stolen videos at the moment. It's difficult to get infringements removed, even for the UFC.

I really, REALLY hate when people rip youtube videos and upload them to facebook. It takes away from the creators.

Hopefully this shit gets fixed. For the youtube creators I mean. I could care less about the UFC vids getting uploaded. :icon_chee

Last edited:
You realize she is getting more popular by the event. Meaning she is a lot more popular now than she was 7 months ago.

She's not a "lot more popular now than 7 months ago." And so there's no reason to believe that her PPV numbers would come close to doubling in that time frame.

Im not saying she is generating Lesnar numbers yet but it's stupid to think you can predict her PPV buys based on what she did in previous events.

It's not stupid at all. It's how the business is run. You'd better believe that Dana knows those numbers and that they are part of the UFC's promotional planning.

They will eventually. For now, it's viral advertising and only helps them.

I'm not sure if you're implying that the UFC is voluntarily letting this video stay up on facebook, but I assure you, they're not.

Impressive for such a shitty card. It's not about the fights after all.

She's not a "lot more popular now than 7 months ago." And so there's no reason to believe that her PPV numbers would come close to doubling in that time frame.

Yes she is. 7 months ago was right before the UFC 184 card. Her stock is higher now. It's a fact. Her Wrestlemania appearance was fucking huge and she just won the ESPYs. Add on Entourage movie and Furious 7 were both released with the last 4 months. Web traffic over the last 7 months also backs up her popularity increase.

It's not stupid at all. It's how the business is run. You'd better believe that Dana knows those numbers and that they are part of the UFC's promotional planning.

Trust me, wait for Meltzer's numbers to come out. I'm not saying she's doing Lesnar numbers yet but I guarantee you the fight did extremely well and broke the record for PPV buys for an event not held in North America. And it is stupid because it's impossible to predict PPV buys for people who are on rise like this. It's like the dumbasses who said McGregor would only do 500k for UFC 189 when Aldo got injured because their was no data to support that McGregor could sell PPV buys.

A lot of soccer moms dreaming they could KO people like that.

Yes she is. 7 months ago was right before the UFC 184 card. Her stock is higher now. It's a fact. Her Wrestlemania appearance was fucking huge and she just won the ESPYs. Add on Entourage movie and Furious 7 were both released with the last 4 months. Web traffic over the last 7 months also backs up her popularity increase.

Of course
Also people must understand that a female fighter doing anything over 200k on a PPV event is amazing.
Its so insipid to compare her draw in 2015 to Brock's in 2008.
The fact that she is even headlining popular PPV's is where the story should be.
The same people that claimed she would never do 150k in buys moved the goal post to 300k & then to 500k & now they are moving it to Brock levels

Sherdoggers are so amusing

Impressive for such a shitty card. It's not about the fights after all.

It has long been established that it is almost impossible to predict good and bad cards based on the fights - some of the shittiest cards, on paper, have produced some cracking fights. And it has to be said, vice versa.

Even if more casual fans are tuning in just to see Ronda, it's win-win for MMA. As I posted earlier in this very thread, for the first time, MMA has been in the mainstream media in the UK thanks to the fight last night. That's a big deal.

Easily the biggest star MMA has ever had and maybe will ever have. Guys like GSP, Lesnar, Anderson etc don't even remotely compare to the public appeal Ronda carries.

Those are lagging, not leading indicators. Ronda appeared at Wrestlemania and won the ESPY awards and was given cameos in a couple of movies because she was already popular. Those are indicators she had already attracted attention and won popularity.

It's ironic that you compare Ronda to a "stock," because like most amateur stock pickers, you appear to think that the time to buy a stock is when its price has already increased. But any good stock picker will tell you that's the time to either hold or sell.

Trust me, wait for Meltzer's numbers to come out. I'm not saying she's doing Lesnar numbers yet but I guarantee you fight did extremely well and broke the record for PPV buys for an event not held in North America. And it is stupid because it's impossible to predict PPV buys for people who are on rise like this. It's like the dumbasses who said McGregor would only do 500k for UFC 189 when Aldo got injured because their was no data to support that McGregor could sell PPV buys.

Well, give some numbers. I've already given mine.

I think UFC 190 does between 500,000 and 600,000. Those are excellent numbers for that kind of international event with that kind of weak card. I'll be surprised, but not shocked, if it passes 650,000, and I'll be shocked if it passes 750K.

It will NOT do better than McGregor/Mendes.

Call me crazy, but i think alot of those views have to do with the fight being so short... thats what casuals want.. a 15 second fight with a ko.. im sure these same casuals dont have the attention span to watching a 25 minute fight between the same fighters...

Of course
Also people must understand that a female fighter doing anything over 200k on a PPV event is amazing.
Its so insipid to compare her draw in 2015 to Brock's in 2008.
The fact that she is even headlining popular PPV's is where the story should be.
The same people that claimed she would never do 150k in buys moved the goal post to 300k & then to 500k & now they are moving it to Brock levels

Sherdoggers are so amusing

Idiot. Do you do anything other than post on Sherdog? Didn't your mother give you a kitten or puppy you can play with?

I've already admitted in this very thread, which apparently you didn't read, that I was surprised by how well Ronda has done. When she first made her UFC debut I probably would've guessed she would draw 100,000 to 200,000 PPVs for an event she headlined on a weak card. That's Mighty Mouse territory.

She's obviously done much, much better than that, and I've admitted I was wrong. In this thread, no less.

But she's had enough promotion and fights to now know that she's nowhere close to Brock Lesnar levels or even GSP levels and that a little leprechaun like Conor McGregor also easily outdraws her.

Easy to go viral with a 30 second KO

Call me crazy, but i think alot of those views have to do with the fight being so short... thats what casuals want.. a 15 second fight with a ko.. im sure these same casuals dont have the attention span to watching a 25 minute fight between the same fighters...

Easy to go viral with a 30 second KO

Of course

But all this does is make the Tate fight even bigger.
This fight had a small fraction of the media attention that they should give Tate & Ronda & Tate is someone media likes & they have a built-in story.
Most of Ronda's ever growing fanbase have not lived through Tate/Rousey yet

this will be fun & .... WAR TATE!

Let's assume everything you say is true.

350K was still a good number.

It's higher than Lawler v Hendricks event that followed it. It's significantly higher than Barao v Faber 2 - and many people consider Faber one of the most charismatic fighters in the lower weights. It was the same draw as Jones v Teixeira. It's well above any of Mighty Mouse's fights. It's almost double Werdum v Hunt. It's slightly higher than Pettis v Dos Anjos.

It's a good number. Not a great number, but a good number.

So I would say that Rousey's average drawing power, up until last night, looked to be around 500,000 and trending slightly higher.

For that reason, I'd be surprised if last night's fight did better than 650,000, and I'd be shocked if it cleared 750K.

Still a damn good figure, but she's not the top draw in the UFC, and there are three or four retired fighters who could come out and do better than that.

Are you claiming that not a single solitary soul bought the ppv to see nog/shogun or struve or big nog or bigfoot or either of the tuf finales?

Seems like a big fucking presumption despite all your other statisticsing

Aw, I wasn't even talking to you Dopey ...
I was talking in general
Nice melt-down though ... :p

You were responding to someone who was talking to me. Now post another six thousand times in the next year and maybe mommy will give you a new kitten to play with.

Those are lagging, not leading indicators. Ronda appeared at Wrestlemania and won the ESPY awards and was given cameos in a couple of movies because she was already popular. Those are indicators she had already attracted attention and won popularity.

Those are events that happened leading up to this fight. It will translate into PPV Buys on some level. We have every indicator so far showing there was extreme interest in this fight.

It's ironic that you compare Ronda to a "stock," because like most amateur stock pickers, you appear to think that the time to buy a stock is when its price has already increased. But any good stock picker will tell you that's the time to either hold or sell.

No you came to that odd analogy by yourself.

Well, give some numbers. I've already given mine.

I think UFC 190 does between 500,000 and 600,000. Those are excellent numbers for that kind of international event with that kind of weak card. I'll be surprised, but not shocked, if it passes 650,000, and I'll be shocked if it passes 750K.

It will NOT do better than McGregor/Mendes.

I don't think it goes under 700k. I don't know what the ceiling is because I've never seen something with so much interest while being held outside the U.S. but people saying this is going to do 500k need to pay attention a bit more.

Luke Thomas retweeted the following;

Holy shit. Looking at the Social Stats from last night. UFC190 was tweeted 993k times. UFC189 was 424k.

I don't see how it's possible to have so much interest in a fight for it not to translate to PPV buys on some level and not do well north of 500k. It's not just from web traffic but from even from every indicator i've seen. I've read mutiple accounts of people saying bars are packed to watch it unlike other UFC fights and even I've personally heard mutiple accounts of people being asked about this fight more than just about any other UFC fight they can remember in years. I don't see how all of this interest translates to 500k-600k ppv buys at the end of the day.

Back