18 million views on Ronda's fight so far

Brock's card usually had horrible undercards and he did unbelievable numbers. Ditto for GSP.

That's a cool story bro. GSP was in the UFC for much longer than Ronda to build his name, and Brock had the WWE crossover effect.

And no one is saying those guys weren't great draws, either. Just that disparaging pulling 550k+ with Zingano on that card makes you sound clueless. How much would that card have drawn without Rousey? That's the question you have to ask yourself. Put another female fighter in against Zingano, how much does it draw?

Have you forgotten how shitty the card was after losing Weidman v.s. Belfort, Romero v.s. Jacare, and Bigfoot v.s. Mir?

Who did Brock and GSP have under them?

Brock and Carwin did over a million buys with this undercard:

Chris Leben vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama
Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown
Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
George Sotiropoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino

And GSP usually had a bunch of Canadian nobodies on his cards.

Dude I.m not a WMMA fan but Ronda is popular as shit. I see friends posting shit on facebook about her who I know don't watch MMA.
Same here, this chick has posted a few links related to her in the past few weeks and she hardly posts anything, never mind anything MMA related.
My mother knows that I'm crazy about martial arts. She knows about Cro Cop (even my granny knew about him), Fedor, Stipe and some others, but never really cared to talk much about it when we meet. But last time she asked about Ronda and was curious about my opinion on females fighting. Anecdotes means nothing, but anyway...
I mentioned her to a friend and he told me he saw an interview with her and how he likes her schtick. This is a guy who doesn't really follow the sport, or any sport actually, and he has some idea who she is and how good she is. Ronda is getting popular, though as others have mentioned I think a lot of the people who are interested in her might not be willing to drop $60 especially if they're not normally combat sports fans like many who like Ronda outside our niche community aren't.

That's a cool story bro. GSP was in the sport for much longer than Ronda to build his name, and Brock had the WWE crossover effect.

And no one is saying those guys weren't great draws, either. Just that disparaging pulling 550k+ with Zingano on that card makes you sound clueless.

Don't claim she's a draw if she only drew 550k for a "weak card".

Almost all Brock and GSP cards were weak as shit, and they did over 1 million per fight.

You can make all the excuses in the world, but you just come off sounding like a crying little beeotch.

ronda is right place right time... everyone's seen great male fighters. the female fighting thing is newfangled for the masses and it is intriguing.

she is worth so much money to the ufc. dont worry about ppv buys, she's getting tons of attention for herself and the sport

Brock's card usually had horrible undercards and he did unbelievable numbers. Ditto for GSP.

But was also in the times when UFC and boxing PPV's generally did better numbers.

In boxing Floyd vs Pac is the exemption, others are mostly not even PPV worthy now.

Yeah, a lot of people are talking about her, not even fight fans asking if she is good

But I'm telling them no, her competition is equivalent of a 15 year old boy picking a fight with a 10 year old girl

That's not a true or fair comparison, at all.

Don't claim she's a draw if she only drew 550k for a "weak card".

Almost all Brock and GSP cards were weak as shit, and they did over 1 million per fight.

You can make all the excuses in the world, but you just come off sounding like a crying little beeotch.

Wow. I can't even. You have no idea what you are saying. You sound like you are living in 2007.

I think Ronda could Rondatoss Rickson Gracie and Rondabar him

Plus, people don't buy PPV for undercards.

Jones vs. Cormier had a complete joke of an undercard and did close to a million buys.

There is absolutely no evidence at all that undercards affect PPV buys. Quite the opposite is true, so you can't use that as an excuse for Ronda.

Wow. I can't even. You have no idea what you are saying. You sound like you are living in 2007.

Connor did close to a million buys a few weeks ago, kid. Jones vs. Cormier did the same last year with an even weaker undercard.

What's your next excuse?

Both sides of this debate are idiots.

Ronda is a moderately good draw on fight night, but she also appeals to a wider base of people than just fight fans and so she's damn good - much better than her PPV numbers would suggest - for the UFC promotion.

I have no reason to shill for Rousey. I don't like or watch WMMA, and when the UFC first started promoting women's MMA I didn't think it would be a draw at all.

But the numbers don't lie. Ronda's proven she's a moderately good draw.

On the other hand, she's still no GSP or Brock Lesnar on fight night, and I see no reason to believe Dana's bullshit when he says UFC 190 is trending better than UFC 189. Rousey's PPV numbers have always been highly respectable but not record-shattering, and there's no reason to think last night was different for some reason.

Connor did close to a million buys a few weeks ago, kid. Jones vs. Cormier did the same last year with an even weaker undercard.

What's your next excuse?

Once again... do you even understand the context of what you are saying? I don't think you do. This is the rare occasion where I'm going to back away from a conversation slowly and be thankful I didn't lose too many brain cells reading.

Ronda's PPV numbers in the UFC up until last night:

UFC 157 - 450,000

UFC 168 - 1,025,000 (Weidman v Silva II)

UFC 170 - 350,000

UFC 175 - 545,000

UFC 184 - 590,000

All of those numbers are respectable. Even the 350K for UFC 170 is a good number for a relatively new division.

Clearly, however, the million PPVs for UFC 168 were driven primarily by fans curious to see whether Silva could take back his belt from the only serious competition he'd faced in the Octagon.

They didn't promote this PPV nearly as much as 189, held it in another country with a bunch of TUFers from a season that wasn't even shown on TV here, yet it still probably did well, PPV-wise. I saw my uncle posting about how he bought it to see Ronda fight; I've never seen him post about MMA in my life.

Ronda bless.

I'm loving this but. ...hmm.
You think she out sold Connor? I loved that card. A lot better than last nights.

Ronda's PPV numbers in the UFC up until last night:

UFC 157 - 450,000

UFC 168 - 1,025,000 (Weidman v Silva II)

UFC 170 - 350,000

UFC 175 - 545,000

UFC 184 - 590,000

All of those numbers are respectable. Even the 350K for UFC 170 is a good number for a relatively new division.

Clearly, however, the million PPVs for UFC 168 were driven primarily by fans curious to see whether Silva could take back his belt from the only serious competition he'd faced in the Octagon.

A few points worth mentioning, though.

• UFC 168, while it definitely was propelled largely by Silva/Weidman, was also going to be Rousey's biggest card. It was the one Rousey fight that people were most interested in and it got the TUF lead-up for it. Rousey did very little promotional work after TUF for the fight, however, because of that whole show fiasco if you will recall. We sort of got robbed of seeing what Rousey might have been able to do as the headliner on that card. I think it would have been Rousey's best card at the time.

• UFC 170 was an extremely quick turn around, just a month after people already financially and emotionally invested in UFC 168, as well as Rousey herself. To me, that fight being as quick a turn around as it was, was a PR move by the UFC to show Rousey is committed to fighting. At the time there was a ton of talk that Rousey might not even love the sport, and might walk away to do movies. UFC 170 was also notoriously poorly promoted by the UFC, and there were complaints about it well in advance. They also went with the "Olympian vs. Olympian" approach, during the Olympics, which ended up just making it sound like white noise and actually decreased its significance, rather than elevating it. If you look at Rousey's PPV history this event is clearly an outlier, and there are a lot of reasons why. Still, though, she out-drew better cards both before and after it in the year until the Jon Jones fight.

Yeah, a lot of people are talking about her, not even fight fans asking if she is good

But I'm telling them no, her competition is equivalent of a 15 year old boy picking a fight with a 10 year old girl

That's awesome the way you try to talk people out of supporting WMMA and therefore MMA.

Sherdog...where the shittiest fans in the shittiest fan base of any sport come to save money on therapy

lol, this place is a trip. I think there are like 20 of you that should take over a trailer-park and just sit around a burning trashcan talking shit all day

:)

would pay PPV price to watch you mauled to death by a 115 lb woman. Wouldn't be disgusted by witnessing a death in the cage.

Back