10K Training

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I run to improve my conditioning, and build an aerobic base. In may I'm running in the Manchester 10K race with my university running club, and was wondering how to train for it. The club does lots of different runs, usually about 40 mins of medium intensity stuff once a week, so im looking to try and add something else to my training. Most running programs seem to suggest shorter tempo runs and sprints and such, but my knowledge of MMA conditioning says if I want to get better I should do longer runs. There is also the fact I need to fit this around my boxing training.

Just go running with the university club; do they only run once a week or is that an example of what an average workout is? Are you trying to get a badass time or just trying to get up to running 6.2 miles?

I run to improve my conditioning, and build an aerobic base. In may I'm running in the Manchester 10K race with my university running club, and was wondering how to train for it. The club does lots of different runs, usually about 40 mins of medium intensity stuff once a week, so im looking to try and add something else to my training. Most running programs seem to suggest shorter tempo runs and sprints and such, but my knowledge of MMA conditioning says if I want to get better I should do longer runs. There is also the fact I need to fit this around my boxing training.

That's exactly right. If you're running for 10k you prepare for a 10k. Don't forget to have 'back-off' weeks (at least twice) to let your body recover and gain the endurance you've been working on.

Jack daniels running formula. I believe he has his own site. Ive used this formula and it works.

When i trained for a 10k i did 2 days running 5k, one running 7 and then another running 10, worked real well for me.

Just go running with the university club; do they only run once a week or is that an example of what an average workout is? Are you trying to get a badass time or just trying to get up to running 6.2 miles?

Yeah for now its only once a week. My main focus is and always will be my combat sports performance, but I would like to do as well as I can without subtracting from my other training. What im currently thinking is one high intensity run, one long low intensity one, although that might change.

The approach I am taking with my 5k work is cycling through two long/slow runs (much longer than my 'race' distance), and two speed runs (I am doing tempo runs, basically 5x1km intervals), then doing one under 'race conditions)- an actual timed 5k. It's a very, very basic approach, not optimal, but I am a bad enough runner that I think I will improve.

Should add that I developed my running base over the last 6 months.

If you're in a running club, I would hope that there are at least some members who know what they're doing. Have you asked any of the more experienced guys on your team why you are training the way you are and if he/she has plans to adjust as the race approaches? About the benefits of tempos, fartleks, intervals, hills, etc.?

You definitely want to incorporate more intense sessions (speedwork, races) as the race approaches. Keep building your base in the meantime, but the sooner you can incorporate higher intensity the better.

The approach I am taking with my 5k work is cycling through two long/slow runs (much longer than my 'race' distance), and two speed runs (I am doing tempo runs, basically 5x1km intervals), then doing one under 'race conditions)- an actual timed 5k. It's a very, very basic approach, not optimal, but I am a bad enough runner that I think I will improve.

Should add that I developed my running base over the last 6 months.

You built your base through incline walking didnt you? I spent the summer doing long bike rides for the same purpose, although I didnt spend as much time as you.

10k races are only 10% anaerobic so train accordingly.

Are you planning on running it in a certain time, or just finishing it? Because those would require two very different plans.

Where are you at right now in terms of running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anddrew
Back