• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

1000 Pounds by 40

Rob Battisti

HR for HR
@Steel
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Haven’t posted in this sub in AGES.

Figured I’d get some accountability on my goals though.

Having injured and rehabbed my back over the last 1.5 years I’m finally getting back into barbell lifting. My current regiment is mostly kettlebell work and calisthenics. However, missing the feeling of the bar on my back and in my hands is really gnawing at me. So — I’m getting back to it.

I am hoping to finally reach a goal of mine of a 1000 lbs total and am curious how folks feel about shooting for totals like this.

My lifetime best PRs are:

Squat: 335
Deadlift: 345
Bench: 235

However, these are long since past and with my back injury I don’t even know what my singles would be at this point.

Likely:

Squat: 225
Deadlift: 225-245
Bench: 205 or less

I’m hoping to hit the 1000 pound total by 2025 or before to get it in under my 40th.

Anyway, always appreciated this sub and wish me luck!

Very doable.

Find a proven program that works for you and stick to it and you'll make it with plenty of time to spare.

Last edited:
Good luck . Attaboy setting goals

Are you mainly focusing on those 3 or mixing it up with KBs and body weight throughout

Focused on growing those 3 as well as overhead press. I’ll continue to KB work and body weight work.

Good luck, @Rob Battisti Smash it!:)

Just want to be prepared when I have my moment to earn my way into Valhalla :cool:

How much do you weigh?
Lost about 15 pounds over the last 2 years. I’m down to 180 which is the lowest I’ve been since my late twenties. Used to fight at 170-180 in local smokers but walked around 180-185 usually. So I’m basically my old fighting weight but low on functional muscle.

Lost about 15 pounds over the last 2 years. I’m down to 180 which is the lowest I’ve been since my late twenties. Used to fight at 170-180 in local smokers but walked around 180-185 usually. So I’m basically my old fighting weight but low on functional muscle.
I have zero doubt that you'll hit your goal well before 2025 as long as you keep at it and don't get hurt. I basically didn't lift from my early 20s to late 30s and it took me right at a year to get 1000lbs on the big 3. Someone else already said it, but if you find a program that works for you then you'll hit your goal for sure.

You might consider starting a thread in the training log section. I kept a paper log for several months before I started a thread there. It's cool to be able to easily scroll through and reference previous workouts and see how you are progressing.

I have zero doubt that you'll hit your goal well before 2025 as long as you keep at it and don't get hurt. I basically didn't lift from my early 20s to late 30s and it took me right at a year to get 1000lbs on the big 3. Someone else already said it, but if you find a program that works for you then you'll hit your goal for sure.

You might consider starting a thread in the training log section. I kept a paper log for several months before I started a thread there. It's cool to be able to easily scroll through and reference previous workouts and see how you are progressing.
Will do! I need that accountability

You can get that in a year or year and a half of consistent training fairly easy. Solid goal. Good luck, dawg.

Is it much harder to do good gains post 40?

If you are consistent, as in, you don’t miss sessions often and train at least 3x/week with any decent program, I think you could get there way before 2025. Good luck brah.
I was thinking the same thing.

Plenty of time to turn those #'s into working sets with proper consistency and discipline.

Good luck. I have the same goal this year and also haven't been here in forever.

Good for the goal and consistent work. I, too, need to quantify my goals more than just beating my old PRs and slimming down a bit... I'm only on a 1 day a week lifting right now though. As long as I can keep that, up, I think it's possible to hit my goals by the end of next year. Thankfully I was pushing some new PRs a couple of years ago. Just need to be consistent again.

Good for the goal and consistent work. I, too, need to quantify my goals more than just beating my old PRs and slimming down a bit... I'm only on a 1 day a week lifting right now though. As long as I can keep that, up, I think it's possible to hit my goals by the end of next year. Thankfully I was pushing some new PRs a couple of years ago. Just need to be consistent again.
Good luck!

Back