100 years ago today, the Ocoee massacre, African Americans just tried to vote.

We do not have voter ID laws in NC. In fact they specifically say you do not need to show any ID when you show up to the polls.

We still have the law on the books but the courts have issued an injunction preventing NC from actually implementing and enforcing the law because of its discriminatory intent. But the purpose of my post was to show why the law and others like it were passed in teh first place.

By voter suppression, do you mean requiring an ID?

He means thing like the North Carolina GOP specifically altering voting laws to make it harder for blacks to vote

<PlusJuan>
What @Khabib Khanate said

Not to mention
  • Gerrymandering to shoe horn minority communities into just a few districts
  • Purging voter rolls of areas with high minority populations
  • Removing early voting in areas to prevent minority votes
There's a reason why the courts have had to strike down Republicans attempts to disenfranchise black voters multiple times.

How exactly? It seems like you're talking out of your ass since majory municipalities have free or reduced bus fares, polling places are generally at the schools and other major buildings that the people use, and mail-in voting is a thing.

As lonhg as we're playing this game let me add: - And now Democrats do their best to disarm African Americans and restrict their right to self defense. Taxing ammunition to make it unaffordable for the poor among us, requiring costly licensing, and other shenanigans.

<Dany07>

It was literally Republican Ronald Reagan (then Governor) who signed the Mulford Act in California to literally disarm African Americans in 1967.

I'm sure you thought you were being so clever though.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Or remind people of the struggles people went through to vote while conservatives champion voter suppression.

Honestly to be a conservatives at this point is to be a traitor.

I think you need to take a break from TDS and come back well rested and ready to think straight.

I wonder how many of you will be banned by the end of tomorrow night. Lmao

Sherdog might get decimated! Hahahaha

Voting has been open for a month. Who hasn't voted yet? If anything tomorrow is like election cutoff day.

A lot of folks feel as though their vote is less likely to be tampered with if they cast it on Election Day.

Just 100 years ago, the mob of white perpetrators killed 35 African Americans. And 2 whites.

Everyone, including republicans, were already rolling their eyes at that first post and then you came in and one upped him.

Yeah Republicans tend to roll their eyes when minorities try to vote. Nothing annoys conservatives more, as evidenced by the unjust laws they try to pass (only to be smacked down by courts).

Wow there's literally nothing scum like you won't "but Obama".

Did Obama fuck your mom or something? At least there's plenty of space in your head for Barry to stretch his legs out and get comfortable while he occupies your deranged mind.

maybe his sister is a slave in libya?

Everyone, including republicans, were already rolling their eyes at that first post and then you came in and one upped him.

Everyone? In your made up world maybe.

I am rolling my eyes at you... lol

<PlusJuan>
What @Khabib Khanate said

<Dany07>

It was literally Republican Ronald Reagan (then Governor) who signed the Mulford Act in California to literally disarm African Americans in 1967.

I'm sure you thought you were being so clever though.

<{Heymansnicker}>

I don't like irony,
I LOVE it!

You can't carry openly in California, and it's not because of race.

You should change your name to "Mulford Act".

Yes, let's not forget the history of hatred towards Blacks that pervades the Democratic party with their ties to the KKK. What was done to those poor people should NOT be forgotten!!!

"Whatever happened in Ocoee on Nov. 2, 1920, it was just as political. In cities across America the Ku Klux Klan had staged rallies to suppress black voting, which would favor Republicans. Locally, Judge John M. Cheney, with the help of Ocoee's two most prominent black men, July Perry and Mose Norman, registered black voters. Cheney meant to become the first Republican senator from Florida. The Klan took notice."

- https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/dead-wrong/Content?oid=2258296

Today's Dems have the decency to practice a more subtle, closeted racism by treated Blacks like children in need of perpetual assistance. KKK, you've come a long way baby!

Now that is being dedicated to being a racist.

Like the democrats fighting to keep slavery, create the KKK, create the jim crow laws, set up the great society to get blacks dependent on government handouts, tell blacks they ain't black if they don't vote democrat.

The republicans in NC requested data on black voters which showed that many liked to vote early and a significant number didn't have government issue ID. Immediately after learning this they instituted voter id laws and restricted early voting. Its a blatant targeting of black voters and its been happening across the country after the Supreme Court in 2013 struck down much of the voting rights act of 1965. Hell the same day of that decision Texas instituted its voter ID law which had been blocked by the voting rights act because of its discriminatory purpose. There are also other policies republicans have instituted that have specifically targeted black voters such as purging black voters from the rolls and closing down voting sites around black neighborhoods.

Its blatant disenfranchisement.

Honestly, no one who is for fair elections should be against voter ID. It's definitely become a tool by the Republicans to disenfranchise voters, but the response from the Democrats to just continue opposing it as opposed to implementing it properly is dumb. Plenty of countries have shown success with voter ID where the electorate is mailed a polling card and can either use that or a state approved ID to validate their vote. It should be a non-issue but has become an easy talking point to win points with one-another's bases. Republicans use it to talk about rampant vote fraud; Democrats use it to label Republicans as racist.

The COD on his death certificate is probably one of the most conniving things I’ve heard of.

Back