1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

100 years ago today, the Ocoee massacre, African Americans just tried to vote.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by 44nutman, Nov 2, 2020.

1. 44nutman The Original Nut of Sherdog

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...029-n3k7lqdbafg5re3qwxq2g3wnve-htmlstory.html
    The reason I posted this is because I live 40 minutes from the town, and do work in this town for my business. I also went to middle School and High School one county over from this town and did it not hear about the Ocoee Massacre until this week. A whole neighborhood was slaughtered because they wanted to vote, and this important story does not even get taught to students.
    The reason people should be angry with voter suppression laws is because men like Julius "July" Perry, knew going back to get his shot gun to vote could possibly end his life, but he did it anyway.
    The guy who led the lynch mob, became mayor of Ocoee 30 years later, which probably was his campaign slogan . That dude was so racist, when people came to get him to head the lynch mob, his wife was in labor and killing black voters was more important to him than being there for the birth of his child. Now that is being dedicated to being a racist.

2. Big Nasty Edison Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

And now Republicans seek to do their best to minimize and restrict African Americans right to vote.

3. Fox by the Sea Lighthouse Keeper Platinum Member

...wanted to stir shit one day before election day.

4. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

Lol. First post is partisan name calling, with the rest of the thread literally that, too. This place has never been this constructive.

D3THRONED and Khabib Khanate like this.
  5. Big Nasty Edison Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Or remind people of the struggles people went through to vote while conservatives champion voter suppression.

Honestly to be a conservatives at this point is to be a traitor.

6. Fox by the Sea Lighthouse Keeper Platinum Member

the conservatives say the same shit about liberals.
    the whole america is now basically a "no, you!" kindergarten party

WhitebeltXL, mon, Cwac and 11 others like this.
  7. Teppodama Silver Belt

Well, look at that. Democrats telling African Americans what they can't do when it comes to voting. Shocking I know...

8. 44nutman The Original Nut of Sherdog

You don’t think this story is worthy to be remembered?
    Vote for who like but Julius “July” Perry put his life on the line to vote.
    I have literally spent a majority of my life within an hour and a half from this city and never heard this tragic story until last week.
    I was trying to illustrate voting is important and today is the 100 year anniversary. You can’t erase history.
    Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it
    Kenny Florian

Crazysibop, Ironnik94, IGIT and 6 others like this.
  9. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

By voter suppression, do you mean requiring an ID?

10. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

He means thing like the North Carolina GOP specifically altering voting laws to make it harder for blacks to vote

Falsedawn, AnGrYcRoW, JDragon and 6 others like this.
  11. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

How are they being targeted? Are they having to do anything different in order to vote?

Been to elections here everyone has an ID. The fact they you don't in the US is nuts.

Scerpi likes this.
  12. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

What about the ones that owned slaves?

13. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Did you read the quote? Its not just about IDs, they also reduced the early voting period, got rid of preregistration for high school students and out of precinct voting, and closed two Sunday voting dates. Why? Because the legislature specifically asked for voting data based on race and then limited those methods because blacks disproportionately used them to vote.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  14. Ichibanner Brown Belt

How exactly? It seems like you're talking out of your ass since majory municipalities have free or reduced bus fares, polling places are generally at the schools and other major buildings that the people use, and mail-in voting is a thing.

As lonhg as we're playing this game let me add: - And now Democrats do their best to disarm African Americans and restrict their right to self defense. Taxing ammunition to make it unaffordable for the poor among us, requiring costly licensing, and other shenanigans.

15. gannima Green Belt

The republicans in NC requested data on black voters which showed that many liked to vote early and a significant number didn't have government issue ID. Immediately after learning this they instituted voter id laws and restricted early voting. Its a blatant targeting of black voters and its been happening across the country after the Supreme Court in 2013 struck down much of the voting rights act of 1965. Hell the same day of that decision Texas instituted its voter ID law which had been blocked by the voting rights act because of its discriminatory purpose. There are also other policies republicans have instituted that have specifically targeted black voters such as purging black voters from the rolls and closing down voting sites around black neighborhoods.

Its blatant disenfranchisement.

16. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'd laws aren't disenfranchisement. Thsts silly. Require everyone to have an ID to vote.thst should be the law. It's ridiculous that this is even an argument

17. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

No, I didn't read as I was asking for the information. By that I wanted to know if it was limited to just id's. If it's anything else, I agree it's not ok. But Ids should be a keystone to be able to vote

18. SaiWa Red Belt

<Huh2>

Closing voting on Sunday where a large majority of poor folks only have Sunday off so it is most likely the only day they can get out to vote instead of taking a day off from work?!

Why don't you just close your eyes, ears, and mouth and just go LA LA LA LA!...

19. gannima Green Belt

It is disenfranchisement when they are instituted for the sole purpose of suppressing the black vote.

tonni likes this.
  20. Headkicktoleg Banned Banned

We do not have voter ID laws in NC. In fact they specifically say you do not need to show any ID when you show up to the polls.