100 years ago today, the Ocoee massacre, African Americans just tried to vote.

I never knew about black Wall Street in Tulsa until I watched the Watchman series on HBO, last year. 20 to 50 people were killed, and the leader of the mob became mayor of that city 30 years later.
I don't blame the daughter when there is an armed group of a lynch mob standing outside your house. IF she shot them today in Florida, she would be innocent based on the Castle Doctorine. So now you are anti 2nd amendment. She had every right to defend her home.
I can promise you that everyone from the Tulsa area black or white knows about Black Wall Street. Heard about it plenty growing up. More of what I'm saying, here. I'd go as far as to say anyone from the state of Oklahoma period.

I'm not blaming the daughter just stating a fact. She fired the first shot, it seems. And you're acting like you know what transpired if she did. Like I said, you're invested. You want to believe. Or you would realize there is NO WAY you wouldn't have heard about it previously.

I looked at the link. Will it be right there tomorrow? Front page or whatever? I will check it out.

I understand we are smart however that is irrelevant to the fact that voter ID laws are put in place for the sole purpose of disrupting our ability to vote. That is the only reason the republicans have passed these laws. We do not have a problem of voter fraud relating to lack of voter ID.

Requiring ID is not an insurmountable barrier but it is still a barrier for a significant number of us in NC, in particular for the poor elderly folk that live in rural areas far from a DMV office.
arent Repub voters poor rural whites?

<PlusJuan>
What @Khabib Khanate said

<Dany07>

It was literally Republican Ronald Reagan (then Governor) who signed the Mulford Act in California to literally disarm African Americans in 1967.

I'm sure you thought you were being so clever though.

<{Heymansnicker}>

The Mulford Act was / is an example of piece of shit legislation. It was a knee-jerk reaction to armed Blacks occupying the Capitol in California. It was a co-sponsored bill (Dems and Repubs) that passed the Dem Controlled Assembly and Dem controlled House and was forwarded to then Governor Ronald Reagan to sign. And he did which is a travesty. That affected California and did set an unwanted precedence.

Having said that you ignore what's happened on the National Level for some reason. Ignorance? Not wanting to paint the party of your preference in a bad light?

Who passed the National Firearms Act of 1934? (Forwarded by Dem controlled 73rd Congress, signed into law by Democrat President F.D.R.)

Who enacted the Gun Control Act of 1968? (Forwarded by Dem controlled 90th congress, signed into law by Democrat President L.B.J.)

When a Dem President signs a piece of legislation that the JPFO (Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership) liken to NAZI firearms laws you know you're on the wrong side of history.

In Maryland we had SB 281 pushed through and put into law despite literally thousands of people showing up in person to protest at the state Capital. The Dems introduced it and passed it.

I will give a Dem props for opposing Federal Law. Brian Schweitzer (Former Dem Governor of Montana) signed the Montana Firearms Freedom Act. Beyond that I'd have to scour the internet to find examples of Dems supporting the 2nd Amendment and protecting the rights of citizens to defense of self and property.

arent Repub voters poor rural whites?
No, in NC the majority of republicans here are middle to upper class, about a third of republicans are poor white people. If you have a more liberal definition of poverty then it's around a 50/50 split.

Also the percentage of voter age white people without gov ID is a whole lot less than voter age black people without ID. Which again is why republicans passed the ID laws in the first place.

How are they being targeted? Are they having to do anything different in order to vote?

Been to elections here everyone has an ID. The fact they you don't in the US is nuts.

Dude, Japan is not comparable. The literal infrastructure, and the social infrastructure are completely different from the US. Many of the reasons why many Asian countries are so orderly and compliant would directly fly against the American conservative ideas on freedom , government intervention, and privacy.
The US doesn't have that same infrastructure set up. You don't have to have a law that literally says "Blacks can't vote" in order to make it harder for certain groups to vote.

Taking out all talks of infrastructure and culture and politics, an ID is a perfectly logical requirement to vote. But if we are going to make that a requirement to do something as important as voting, then we should be sure that everyone has the ability to meet that requirement, fairly.
As other posters have said though, this isn't just about IDs, it's racists looking at the patterns and data on blacks to try and make it harder for them to vote. Shit is straight up scummy.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...029-n3k7lqdbafg5re3qwxq2g3wnve-htmlstory.html
The reason I posted this is because I live 40 minutes from the town, and do work in this town for my business. I also went to middle School and High School one county over from this town and did it not hear about the Ocoee Massacre until this week. A whole neighborhood was slaughtered because they wanted to vote, and this important story does not even get taught to students.
The reason people should be angry with voter suppression laws is because men like Julius "July" Perry, knew going back to get his shot gun to vote could possibly end his life, but he did it anyway.
The guy who led the lynch mob, became mayor of Ocoee 30 years later, which probably was his campaign slogan . That dude was so racist, when people came to get him to head the lynch mob, his wife was in labor and killing black voters was more important to him than being there for the birth of his child. Now that is being dedicated to being a racist.

I read that they just passed a law to teach this in the local schools. Hard to imagine 100yrs and never teaching it in the local schools.

Horrible times and sad. Obama is only worse because the population is so much bigger in his day and he literally divided 340M plus Americans with his racist rhetoric and lies.

How about three examples of Obama being racist. Please.

Wow so you're saying that only a little over a life time ago a black person could get killed for trying to vote, and now they can be elected to the highest office in the land?

Yeah, lack of progress as a country is a complete disgrace and we as a nation are completely irredeemable. The woke is right, burn it down!

democrats should have learned by now that the fake voter suppression crap is played out.

So requiring an ID to vote is somehow racist? Am i missing something, i mean who the fuck doesnt have an ID, how is this an issue?

ID cards and driver's licenses are not provided for free by the federal or all state governments. Poll taxes have been abolished by the 24th Amendment of the Constitution.

Having to purchase something from the state in order to vote is unconstitutional.

If they were planning to vote Republican then they weren’t really black

ID cards and driver's licenses are not provided for free by the federal or all state governments. Poll taxes have been abolished by the 24th Amendment of the Constitution.

Having to purchase something from the state in order to vote is unconstitutional.
Resident who are 65 years or older can get an ID free of charge, if you're younger than 65 and still dont have an id then what the fuck are you doing with your life...

Texas just tried to throw out a 100,000 votes..
"The ruling by U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, a George W. Bush appointee, follows two earlier decisions by the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court rejecting similar efforts by Republicans challenging the validity of drive-thru voting in Harris County. Hanen's ruling appears to clear the way for counting the early voting drive-thru ballots on Election Day."

That doesn't sound like "Texas" is trying to through out 100,000 ballots. looks like 3 candidates and an activist brought a lawsuit. Thats not voter suppression.

"The ruling by U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, a George W. Bush appointee, follows two earlier decisions by the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court rejecting similar efforts by Republicans challenging the validity of drive-thru voting in Harris County. Hanen's ruling appears to clear the way for counting the early voting drive-thru ballots on Election Day."

That doesn't sound like "Texas" is trying to through out 100,000 ballots. looks like 3 candidates and an activist brought a lawsuit. Thats not voter suppression.

The point was that it was happening in Texas by Republicans. And that their failed attempt shows that there is reason to be concerned about attempts at suppression.
Texas also made it so there was only 1 drop off ballot box per county. How does that work for heavily populated counties with thousands or millions of people having to drive to one box?

Back