“You Cannot Hire American Here”

I've seen this first hand. Not with illegal workers but with peeps from Mexico and Central America on work visas who worked for a few months out of the year during harvest season.

I used to work for a Heinz food processing plant as a safety tech years ago and was put in charge of orienting new hires from the area. A lot of the hires were for the belt lines to sort produce. The majority of the workforce was older women in their 50s and 60s from outta the country and many of them were retiring so they were short on workers.

The company said fuck it and hired a bunch of local kids out of high school ages 18-23 from what I remember. I oriented probably around 25 people and omfg I've never seen such entitlement. The complaints ranged from inability to take multiple lunches, take breaks whenever they wanted, they were upset it was hot in the plant, they wanted to wear headphones instead of earplugs (it was extremely loud inside) and upset they couldn't use their cell phones while working on the belt line.

On the first day I would say about half walked out of work after lunch was over, another quarter left before the end of the day. By the end of the week maybe four stayed and two probably stayed the whole season. The job paid 12 bucks hourly with all the overtime available to take.

Last edited:
We could be such great allies, but instead racism. Hell Canada's white and we barely get along with them. America is just and has always been a country full of assholes let's get real lol.

I've seen this first hand. Not with illegal workers but with peeps from Mexico and Central America on work visas who worked for a few months out of the year during harvest season.

I used to work for a Heinz food processing plant as a safety tech years ago and was put in charge of orienting new hires from the area. A lot of the hires were for the belt lines to sort produce. The majority of the workforce was older women in their 50s and 60s from outta the country and many of them were retiring so they were short on workers.

The company said fuck it and hired a bunch of local kids out of high school ages 18-23 from what I remember. I oriented probably around 25 people and omfg I've never seen such entitlement. The complaints ranged from inability to take multiple lunches, take breaks whenever they wanted, they were upset it was hot in the plant, they wanted to wear headphones instead of earplugs (it was extremely loud inside) and upset they couldn't use their cell phones while working on the belt line.

On the first day I would say about half walked out of work, another quarter left before the end of the day was over. By the end of the week maybe four stayed and two probably stayed the whole season. The job paid 12 bucks hourly with all the overtime available to take.

I wonder if other countries are having the same issues with young adults between 18-23?

Now that we are in the last month of the school year where three months have been done from home, we are about to see millions of high school students receive credit by showing an "attempt" to complete assignments. How will this affect their psyche in the long run? How will if affect their peers who worked hard during this time?

NPR has released an interesting series of articles interviewing business owners from across the country— oftentimes from very Republican places, such as Alabama or Tennessee— about why they employ undocumented workers.

The results are unsurprising: undocumented workers are willing to do jobs that American citizens aren’t, are sometimes willing to work for less or without benefits, and are often harder-working and more reliable.

The latest interview is with a Missouri restaurant owner who says quite frankly what would happen if she could not hire undocumented Mexicans to work in her kitchen for $11-16 per hour with no benefits: “We’d close. I’d sell everything for whatever I could get for it, and we’d close.”

When asked why she didn’t hire American, she was equally frank: “That is the biggest joke. I hear it all the time. We put ads in the newspaper, on Facebook, on Craigslist, in the window. The [American citizens] who come in will show up for one shift. They will not be clean. They will probably not be sober. They will ask for money at the end of the shift and not be back.”

Employers in virtually every field with a high population of undocumented workers— farm work, restaurants, landscaping, construction— give these same answers.

Why do so many people refuse to believe them?

The simple fact is, that much of the American economy, and all the goods and services that we are accustomed to at the prices we are accustomed to paying, is reliant on population of relatively low paid workers with no benefits.

Why on earth do we vilify these people?

So the living wage argument people like you make constantly goes out the window for this argument, and this argument only, correct?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...place-migrant-farmworkers-with-high-schoolers

Here is an interesting story about when the US tried to replace migrant workers with domestic workers. Even in 1964, it was a flop. Imagine how such an effort would work in 2020?
The GOP is conflicted, no doubt about it. Much of their stance is just virtue signaling to the xenophobic portion of their voting base. They aren’t prepared to deal with the realities that would come with shutting down illegal labor and they really aren’t doing anything substantial that will stop it. Hell, Trump pardoned Sholom Rubashkin. That family built an empire on Mexican and Guatemalan illegal labor.

the solution seems simple.

Subsidize the employees to ease the burden on business owners. Free healthcare for residents. Basic income for residents.

This allows the employer to hire more employees that are documented because they are now subsidized and lessen their workload while still staying afloat as a business. simple.

Yeah it's very American to show up drunk and dirty for your first shift and then demand a paycheck that day.

I'm pretty sure that's an exaggeration from a restaurant owner who is taking advantage of the American version of "slave labor". Paying shit wages with no benefits so she can be successful while these people live in poverty with no health or dental insurance. What an American hero she is.
Mandatory E-Verify

that would be one of the quickest ways to take care of that issue

lets not pretend the system isnt setup that way, sanctuary city/state laws.........

all dems and many repubs wag their finger and do the opposite.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=432536&CategoryId=12395
(in 2011)
Last weekend, Brown also signed a law – AB 1236 – that prohibits cities and counties from passing laws that require employers to use the E-verify federal program to determine the immigration status of their employees.

“California again bucks the trend and sets the foundation to not only recognize the important contributions immigrants make to our society, but to also understand the significant role they play in the state that is the eighth-largest economy in the world,” Jeannette Zanipatin, legislative staff attorney with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, said.

California: "Bad employers hire illegals"
California: "bucks the trend and sets the foundation to not only recognize the important contributions immigrants make to our society, but to also understand the significant role they play in the state that is the eighth-largest economy in the world"

of course they're playing both sides when it's convenient

https://www.breitbart.com/radio/201...epublicans-dont-want-e-verify-know-will-work/
“I think [E-Verify] is not being pushed precisely because members of Congress know it will work,” said Jenks. “I think that is exactly the reason it’s not being pushed. Democrats, for sure, don’t want mandatory E-Verify because they know it will discourage illegal immigration, which will discourage the push for the next amnesty. And, let’s face it, the establishment Republicans don’t want it because they know it will be effective and eliminate their cheap labor pools.”

I hired a guy to fix my house. He first had a bunch of illegals working on it. They didnt do shit for 3 weeks and stole my TV and a bunch of tools.

Landscaping is a very decent and a respectable job in my country. As is construction.

We have a lot of occupations in the USA that were once quite desirable and respected where that is no longer the case. Where are you from?
Construction and Landscaping aren’t that lofty here, but you can make a good living doing either; construction more so.

We hope you enjoyed our discussion on what shit workers and lazy zilches American workers are and how businesses would shut down if they couldn't import slaves. Tune in next week when we piss and moan about the same undependable lazy asses not being rich and demand employers double their wages.

The [American citizens] who come in will show up for one shift. They will not be clean. They will probably not be sober. They will ask for money at the end of the shift and not be back.”

The headline of this story makes me think they interviewed the (Chinese) owner of some hole in the wall Chinese place. That first sentence is possible. Second and third sound unlikely. And it's hilarious for a Chinese to claim someone isn't clean. The fourth sounds like a straight up lie. Americans know you get paid a check every 2 weeks and don't paid at the end of a shift in cash which this story implies. That sounds like some illegal working for cash under the table.

If on the off-hand chance this story is true theses Americans who come in are the same people rioting. I'm not even joking.

I've worked the fields and I don't know anyone I grew up with that could endure that to make a living.

It is absolutely brutal.

As a society we haven't really invented a way out of an exploited class of people to harvest. If people were payed fairly the price of food would triple.

Last edited:
The headline of this story makes me think they interviewed the (Chinese) owner of some hole in the wall Chinese place. That first sentence is possible. Second and third sound unlikely. And it's hilarious for a Chinese to claim someone isn't clean. The fourth sounds like a straight up lie. Americans know you get paid a check every 2 weeks and don't paid at the end of a shift in cash which this story implies. That sounds like some illegal working for cash under the table.

If on the off-hand chance this story is true theses Americans who come in are the same people rioting. I'm not even joking.
The people that work low wage jobs in America absolutely show up intoxicated. We have a huge drug problem in this country, particularly among low socioeconomic classes.

Yeah it's very American to show up drunk and dirty for your first shift and then demand a paycheck that day.

I'm pretty sure that's an exaggeration from a restaurant owner who is taking advantage of the American version of "slave labor". Paying shit wages with no benefits so she can be successful while these people live in poverty with no health or dental insurance. What an American hero she is.
Say an employee makes $2000-$3000 a month. How can you reasonably expect a company to provide health coverage for an employee's family that costs more than their entire salary?

They didn't break the healthcare system and it's not their moral responsibility to eat the costs for the system that American voters chose.

the solution seems simple.

Subsidize the employees to ease the burden on business owners. Free healthcare for residents. Basic income for residents.

This allows the employer to hire more employees that are documented because they are now subsidized and lessen their workload while still staying afloat as a business. simple.

the court systems have ruined it too

all workers waiting to file a lawsuit for worker’s compensation etc and milk money out of employer

the court systems have ruined it too

all workers waiting to file a lawsuit for worker’s compensation etc and milk money out of employer
Yeah, I think universal healthcare would probably provide a solution to that. It would probably lead to tighter regulations and such. There being a social safety net outside of the employer wouldn't pit employees against employers as much unless they were endangering the employees. It's almost like it's an employees only recourse so people exploit it.

Back