Social “Hostile Architecture”

Some of these structures aren’t for the homeless. They preemptively put them up for migrants if there is a shelter nearby.

A society is only as free as it's loiterers. If you aren't free to loiter you are by definition not free. And its not just about protecting the homeless from capitalism its also about protecting community. The idea that you can only be outside if you have someplace to go is perhaps is the biggest non economic reason for the breakdown of community.

Why can't the homeless sleep under bridges? Who does this bother?

I am against government spending and handouts, but it seems we need more public bathrooms and protected shelters where they can sleep. Put them away from city centers.
Terrible idea. Here in Atlanta the last couple years we have had a major highway closed for months because a homeless fire caused an overpass collapse. We also had a semi-major road closed because of a similar fire and bridge incident. The road was finally reopened (after neighboring businesses suffered) and just weeks later it happened again and the road is once again closed.

Terrible idea. Here in Atlanta the last couple years we have had a major highway closed for months because a homeless fire caused an overpass collapse. We also had a semi-major road closed because of a similar fire and bridge incident. The road was finally reopened (after neighboring businesses suffered) and just weeks later it happened again and the road is once again closed.
So maybe build them a covered open aired platform with an open bathroom. Send a trillion less to Ukraine this year and put these in major cities across the US. Just talking a roof type open aired structure with some public bathrooms and water spickets.

This doesn't just affect the homeless it affects regular folks when we want to sit anywhere the public park benches are all uncomfortable. Must be very inconvenient for old folks.

So maybe build them a covered open aired platform with an open bathroom. Send a trillion less to Ukraine this year and put these in major cities across the US. Just talking a roof type open aired structure with some public bathrooms and water spickets.
You then run into NIMBYs playing hot potato with the location. It's the best short term path, but still a very big lift locally.

That may very well. Those types of communal sleeping structures are very common in the South Pacific in countries like Kiritibati.

From the thread title I thought it was going to be about Mediterranean architecture and how it triggered peeps to Spanish colonialism.

I grew up in a city with a shit ton of homeless and I'm all for arm rests that keep them from setting up home on a bench.

- They put some of those here. The thing is, i know plenty of homeless people, that never bothered someone. But on the other hand, we have the drug addicts or criminals, that come here pretending they're simple homeless people.

I'm against those structures. Simply putting them wondt make the people without a home cease to exist. And i live in a city that has plenty of social works to help people. One guy used to be a homeless and with help from some people, he bought a old car, and started selling fruits.

Homelessness is strongly correlated with mental illness and drug addiction as you know. You're quite correct that many people won't help themselves. But some people do and those people should be helped and if that means providing housing then surely its better than not.

I 100% agree
Sure you do, "...but they just keep wanting more and more and you give them a tent, and when they want to move, instead of cleaning up their camp and tents they destroy them and tell the non profit that someone trashed their tent so they can simply get a new one."

There wouldn't be a need for this type of stuff if we adequately adressed the homeless problem.

It is actually not a super hard problem to fix, there just isn't the political will for it.

Neither Democrats or Republicans want to fix it.

There wouldn't be a need for this type of stuff if we adequately adressed the homeless problem.

It is actually not a super hard problem to fix, there just isn't the political will for it.

Neither Democrats or Republicans want to fix it.
What would you do with these criminals?

Would something like a chain gang prison camp work, the likes of Cool Hand Luke?

This doesn't just affect the homeless it affects regular folks when we want to sit anywhere the public park benches are all uncomfortable. Must be very inconvenient for old folks.

When you hurt others you hurt yourself.

Sure you do, "...but they just keep wanting more and more and you give them a tent, and when they want to move, instead of cleaning up their camp and tents they destroy them and tell the non profit that someone trashed their tent so they can simply get a new one."

I can agree with him that homelessness and mental illness and addiction are intertwined as well as some people accepting the help and moving on AND be pissed about the ones that trash up all the hillsides and abuse the shit out of help people give them.

Did you actually think you were getting a good one on me here, ya tool

Give bombs to the homeless

Back