News “Coker is killing Bellator!”

My 76 year old dad subscribes to DAZN just for boxing. Many of the gamblers in the betting forum here do as well for Bellator & boxing cards too. I mentioned elsewhere, as a cordcutter who doesn't pay for cable tv any more, $99/year to get every Bellator card plus other MMA & so many boxing cards is reasonable, especially under the annual plan.
As a Canadian, we also get every NFL game, which, along with the boxing and MMA, is an unbelievable deal (though we do pay a little bit more, but a yearly sub is equivalent to a month or two of cable)

Seems these days wherever you move in the United States you have to get cable as regular TV is not really there anymore. For cheap guys like me you just get the basic package which includes generally Paramount.

Seems these days wherever you move in the United States you have to get cable as regular TV is not really there anymore. For cheap guys like me you just get the basic package which includes generally Paramount.

Since Showtime is premium it means less houses but a larger percent of people who have it probably watch it and their viewers probably count more.

Probably.

Bellator is dead because nobody outside of hardcore fans Know about it. UFC=MMA

If they don't keep a talent and Future HW Star like Tyrell Fortune.....Bellator will not be around 2 years from now!

Coker needs to invest in the Future, not the past!

Retire all the old paycheck collecting ex UFCers...like Rampage etc and invest it in guys like Fortune, Minkonov, Ruth etc...

Fedor brought Nemkov, Tokov, and Moldavsky. Exactly the type of talent Bellator needs.

You have a point since Viktor Nemkov will fight for the title

When the DAZN deal expires, it most probably will not get renewed.
In my country Bellator was on TV way before the UFC, so I know first hand that they have good worldwide TV coverage, but would this be enough to save their sinking ship?
Bellator as an organization needs fresh, big-mouthed stars to get that rusty machine rolling. Signing washed-out hasbeens doesn't do the trick anymore.
They also need a big army of cherry-picked reporters and media shills which are on a decent payroll, same model as the UFC.

DAZN betrayal will make them rush their work sadly. But they are big enough to survive the pandemic.

Also helps they pay most fighters peanuts.

Now we know why. Its kind of hard to pay people money when you dont have any.

Does anyone know what kept them going during the losses? Did they project a future profit or what? Im having a hard time understanding it because its not like the people in charge of the money are prob huge MMA fans. I imagine theyre in it for the money.

Now we know why. Its kind of hard to pay people money when you dont have any.

Does anyone know what kept them going during the losses? Did they project a future profit or what? Im having a hard time understanding it because its not like the people in charge of the money are prob huge MMA fans. I imagine theyre in it for the money.

I asked in another thread. Apparently they do get a fee from CBS for providing content and they have some international deals and advertisers.

In my country Bellator was on TV way before the UFC, so I know first hand that they have good worldwide TV coverage,

If you don't mind me asking, since Bellator was on TV first do people in your country is Belaltor more well known than the UFC where you are from or is the UFC still bigger??

Also where are you from?

If you don't mind me asking, since Bellator was on TV first do people in your country is Belaltor more well known than the UFC where you are from or is the UFC still bigger??

Also where are you from?
MMA is a very small niche sport where I live. Nobody gives a fuck about it, nobody follows it, and nobody pays money to watch it. People here barely make the difference between Bellator and the UFC.
MMA is only followed by a handful of die hard martial arts geeks and is only practiced by a small bunch of criminals.

Even if Bellator was on TV before the UFC, the UFC is still better known and bigger than Bellator, because it gets more media coverage on the few local combat sport web sites and because it has better known main stream stars (Ronda, Conor, etc).
The UFC is now on paid TV in my country, so this makes them compete directly with Bellator for whatever small viewership there is.

PS:
I am from Eastern Europe.

That what Coker does kills mma orgs lol....hes like the banker from southpark......"we brought on scott coker to fix the compa.....and its gone"

The ufc is cutting 60 fighters, including big names. They aren't doing that because they are killing it.

The reason they are cutting 60 fighters has more to do with the that roster is just to large. They have to offer fighters 3 fights year. You only have so many spots. That is where the majority of the cuts are coming from, guys you barely or never heard of.

Letting go of Yoel for example(and some other names) is nothing more than he has ran his course through the UFC, age, and probably have got what they can out of him for what his pay demands.

P.S.: UFC has been doing this forever. It's also part of how they make other orgs fail indirectly. Gifting high salary named guys who show low return to orgs like the Bellator's of the world. For some of those orgs to sign a guy who is getting paid six figures a fight it sticks out bright red in the books when you go through your numbers for that event. If those guys aren't pulling higher gate numbers and ratings it's hard pill to swallow and justify the pay, over time it adds up especially when you get multiple guys on your roster like that. That is a big part of why Strikeforce went under. The product cost began to well outpace the return. For second tier and below MMA orgs a lot of those cost are in fighter pay.

Interesting seeing this now, knowing that DAZN deal is finished. Looking at that pie chart of potential revenue, you can see that b/c of the pandemic not allowing them to sell tickets and losing DAZN deal combined would mean that ~63% of their revenue is gone. You'd have to imagine some of that 13% brought in by advertisers would also drop, knowing that A. There are no fans in attendance to see said sponsorship and B. They just lost their biggest platform for advertisements. However, I'm sure their CBS Sports deal pays them something, maybe not the full 50% DAZN was bringing in, but it could help somewhat, and that might keep most of your advertisers happy, or at the least bring in some to replace any who left. Then hopefully in 2021 they can bring fans back, but still, judging by the number represented in those tweets, 2021 might be a do or die year for Bellator.

The reason they are cutting 60 fighters has more to do with the that roster is just to large. They have to offer fighters 3 fights year. You only have so many spots. That is where the majority of the cuts are coming from, guys you barely or never heard of.

Letting go of Yoel for example(and some other names) is nothing more than he has ran his course through the UFC, age, and probably have got what they can out of him for what his pay demands.

P.S.: UFC has been doing this forever. It's also part of how they make other orgs fail indirectly. Gifting high salary named guys who show low return to orgs like the Bellator's of the world. For some of those orgs to sign a guy who is getting paid six figures a fight it sticks out bright red in the books when you go through your numbers for that event. If those guys aren't pulling higher gate numbers and ratings it's hard pill to swallow and justify the pay, over time it adds up especially when you get multiple guys on your roster like that. That is a big part of why Strikeforce went under. The product cost began to well outpace the return. For second tier and below MMA orgs a lot of those cost are in fighter pay.

<YeahOKJen>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back