News “Coker is killing Bellator!”

Who said Bellator is moving to Showtime? Having to report to the Showtime boss is not the same as Bellator being on Showtime.

It isn't for certain but maybe the writing is on the wall with some of these changes.

Paramount isn't branded at all towards sports and never will be. All you need to ask yourself is how many times has Bellator event been replayed on Paramount, I don't think ever. Showtime has been a long time player in the sports arena and could provide better media outlet to the target audience even though its a premium channel. Hell, Showtime still plays Strikeforce events from years ago weekly. They won't put them on if no one was watching them.

so what I am gettin is if DAZN drops them they are fucked

so what I am gettin is if DAZN drops them they are fucked
They have a good deal now with DAZN so losing it would be a concern naturally. But there are other sports streaming services they could get signed by or major streaming services who might want live combat sports, not to mention many tv channels they could sign with. The CBS/Viacom merger represents some more opportunity in-house where they could end up on network and/or pay tv as well as streaming. Maybe even splitting the rights a couple of different ways since Coker wants to expand to 40-somethng cards by next year if he keeps up the international cards in Europe plus goes to Asia and Brazil as he said recently.

It isn't for certain but maybe the writing is on the wall with some of these changes.

Paramount isn't branded at all towards sports and never will be. All you need to ask yourself is how many times has Bellator event been replayed on Paramount, I don't think ever. Showtime has been a long time player in the sports arena and could provide better media outlet to the target audience even though its a premium channel. Hell, Showtime still plays Strikeforce events from years ago weekly. They won't put them on if no one was watching them.
How many subscribers does Paramount have vs. Showtime? I'd guess more have the non-premium Paramount.

I recently got back Showtime and I'd rewatch an old Strikeforce in HD if it was a good card.

How many subscribers does Paramount have vs. Showtime? I'd guess more have the non-premium Paramount.

I recently got back Showtime and I'd rewatch an old Strikeforce in HD if it was a good card.

It's not even close, Paramount by a landslide. But Paramount attracts a very different kind of audience than what Showtime does and that is where Bellator may capitalize on. Not too mention Showtime would do replays and probably do some type of embedded stuff with Bellator on bigger cards. All which may help draw in a bigger audience or new fans.

But like I said in my other post, Bellator's long term success maybe much better off being sold off and the new owners can capitalize on a lucrative US/Canada media deal over being owned by your media outlet. It would make the org much more stable. European expansion is helping but if the DAZN deal disappears it leaves a massive hole in Bellator's revenue. I'm just not that confident Dazn reups Bellator and if they do it will be a at discount. Does anyone really think they have giving them their money's worth so far, I surely don't and doubt DAZN thinks that either. But I suppose in the big picture paying Bellator 35 million a year is pretty cheap in the media world for live sports that people actually watch.

Also helps they pay most fighters peanuts.

Those fighters they pay very little tend to be guys that fight on the regional circuit and wouldn't have the opportunity to fight for a major promotion otherwise and they likely are getting a pay increase as well. Bellator pays about twice as much as the UFC does relative to their revenue.

Lol...baby Slice? He sucks! He is a nobody

He doesn't suck, he's not great but he's good and he's young and at a very good camp and improving a lot every fight I have seen him in.

People keep saying they're not trying to build up younger talent but they are. Not all the pushes are successful (see Pico), but I still get what they've been trying to do with Claxton, McKee, Corrales, Horiguchi, Archuletta, Lima, MVP, Pettis, Ilima-Lei Macfarlane, and many more.

Also I feel like a lot of the Legends talent they're able to bring in is stronger than before. Yeah Fedor should retire, but a main event like Mousasi vs. Machida II or Cyborg vs. Budd is still completely valid in my eyes.

Pico rebounded in his last fight and looked much better at mixing up his striking and grappling. Hopefully he doesn't go right back to fighting guys way more experienced than he is and gradually increases his level of competition.

So when their ratings are big they sign a deal to move half their content behind a paywall on DAZN. The diluted product suffers terrible ratings. Does anyone expect DAZN to pay the same to re-up the contract when their ratings are terrible? Unless their DAZN viewership is amazing or this showtime deal is a game changer it looks like they sacrificed their long term viability for short term gains.

So when their ratings are big they sign a deal to move half their content behind a paywall on DAZN. The diluted product suffers terrible ratings. Does anyone expect DAZN to pay the same to re-up the contract when their ratings are terrible?
I'm figuring DAZN wanted the television ratings to go down.

If they stayed the same it would mean no ones transitioning to them.

I'm figuring DAZN wanted the television ratings to go down.

If they stayed the same it would mean no ones transitioning to them.

Is anyone? I know I'm a sample population of 1, but I dont' know anyone who subscribes to DAZN. They have 8 million subs globally, and 2 different 9 figure deals I'm aware of just between Bellator and Canelo. It still feels to me like everyone is playing a short game here.

Is anyone? I know I'm a sample population of 1, but I dont' know anyone who subscribes to DAZN. They have 8 million subs globally, and 2 different 9 figure deals I'm aware of just between Bellator and Canelo. It still feels to me like everyone is playing a short game here.
My 76 year old dad subscribes to DAZN just for boxing. Many of the gamblers in the betting forum here do as well for Bellator & boxing cards too. I mentioned elsewhere, as a cordcutter who doesn't pay for cable tv any more, $99/year to get every Bellator card plus other MMA & so many boxing cards is reasonable, especially under the annual plan.

Bellator just need talents and less dad bods and Fedor

I hope they can keep it together, it sucks when UFC doesnt have a big promotion keeping a fire under their asses.

Bellator just need talents and less dad bods and Fedor

Fedor brought Nemkov, Tokov, and Moldavsky. Exactly the type of talent Bellator needs.

The DAZN thing will not last. Let them make a few bucks before it's done. That's nice. The product is not very good right now, in my opinion. Still some interesting fights, but not that many.

Back