Woodley Upset He's Not a Draw Like GSP: "I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges"

Who are you a fan of?

• Total voters
All ya'll trying to bring my man down. I hope he rattles off 10 straight just to shut the haters up.

In an age where title reigns are becoming more defined by the money fights a champion pursues than the traditional meritocracy associated with the UFC, Tyron Woodley is something of a throwback. Since winning the welterweight strap at UFC 201 last July, Woodley has defended the belt three times - each time against the top-ranked contender. Which isn’t to say that Woodley hasn’t tried to chase down money fights. Just hours after winning the title Woodley began calling out Georges St-Pierre, Conor McGregor, and Nick Diaz but those fights have so far eluded Woodley, particularly the most appealing one of them, St-Pierre.

. . .

Woodley has been vocal that St-Pierre is moving to middleweight for fear of him embarrassing the GOAT, and on the most recent edition of his The Morning Wood Show podcast, the champ doubled down on his assertions, saying that St-Pierre’s skills are outmoded in the new welterweight order and that he has passed the Canadian already as far as his abilities.

“Some guys have medium speed, medium power, good wrestling, good attacks. I’ve been blessed to have maximum speed, maximum explosion, maximum power, and then [Din Thomas] and Duke [Roufus] have helped me add the other stuff, economy of motion, knowing when to explode, when not to explode, how to fight five rounds. . .

“They don’t want them problems, man. He had a chance to fight me and he said no. . .

“Georges has been away for three years, almost four. By the time he gets in there, it’s gonna be just a few days shy of four years so the sport has caught up. Whatever advantage he had, whatever degree of separation he created by being such a great martial artist, people have played catchup. I think I’ve surpassed him. He was a person I looked up to but skill for skill, mindset, explosion, power, wrestling ability, timing, strategy, all those things, I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges and that’s why I want to go out there to fight him and prove it.”

. . .

But if St-Pierre wins, a McGregor call out becomes odd as the most obvious weight for that fight to happen at would be 170 pounds since McGregor has fought there twice before, but welterweight is a division currently lorded over by Woodley. The welterweight champion says doing that fight in his division while he is reigning would be disrespectful to his title.

“No, that’s a disrespect to me. . .

“[St-Pierre] probably [will call out McGregor], but he’s gonna have to be honest with the fans and say, ‘I’m here for money.” And that’s okay. There’s no shame in that. . . Just know I’m gonna call him out on that. Win, lose, or draw, I’m gonna want to fight the winner of that fight, Bisping or Georges. Then I’m going to want to come back and see all this fresh new talent in the welterweight division and I’m gonna want to show them a lesson too.”

. . .

So yet again Woodley appears to be sitting on the outside staring in as Georges St-Pierre lines up big money fight after big money fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...rre-conor-mcgregor-bout-is-a-disrespect-to-me

Three fights. 1 Draw. 1 close decision against Thompson and 1 boring performance against Maia. That's Woodley's champion resume.

Woodley is to GSP what Bisping is to Anderson

Dry humping is not an accomplishment but, for cucks and guys into that sort of thing, it seemingly is apparently?

The facts remain; GSP ducked Silva the way DJ ducked TJ. Not only did he duck Silva, he ducked TW at WW, ducked a rematch with Hendricks who beat the living shit out of him essentially retiring him for four years he was that fucked up, and now, he returns to fight guess where? MW, a division he ducked his entire career. Why? He was terrified of Silva.

He was asked on sports net about a Silva fight and said he had too much to lose. Thats not GOAT status talk.

Not talking about GOAT...comparing GSP and Woodley.

9 consecutive title defenses. 12 title fight wins. 18 top 5 wins.

Get back at me when Woodley gets anywhere close.

Ya it sucks that he never fought Silva. I wanted that fight more than anybody. But people wanted to see him challenged. Nobody is calling for Woodley to move up because he's boring as shit and nobody gives a fuck.

I was at 214. The crowd was doing the wave for 2 full rounds of his fight...during an MMA fight, let that sink in. He's fucking boring and nobody gives a shit. WW is dead until he drops the belt.

Woodley is the GOAT of delusional champs. Delusions of grandeur run rampant with this one!

Not talking about GOAT...comparing GSP and Woodley.

9 consecutive title defenses. 12 title fight wins. 18 top 5 wins.

Get back at me when Woodley gets anywhere close.

Ya it sucks that he never fought Silva. I wanted that fight more than anybody. But people wanted to see him challenged. Nobody is calling for Woodley to move up because he's boring as shit and nobody gives a fuck.

I was at 214. The crowd was doing the wave for 2 full rounds of his fight...during an MMA fight, let that sink in. He's fucking boring and nobody gives a shit. WW is dead until he drops the belt.

Included in that "title defense" rubbish stat includes the 5rd drumming by Hendrix despite the robbery by corrupt American judges. By title defenses, we got a series of peppering jabs at busted orbital bone Koscheck or a bore fest of dry humping unless your into that?

The nonsense about "defenses" versus actually putting on a entertaining fight, going for the finish, etc are not the samething.

dj can have a million "defenses." It doesn't change the fact that he is ducking TJ and is terrified.I don't care how many defenses GSP had. He ducked TW, he ducked Hendricks rematch, he ducked Anderson his entire career and we are seeing his character or lack thereof fighting Bisping for the MW belt.

To be fair, where does Woodley actually say he's upset he's not a draw like GSP?

don't see that anywhere in the article. He said he's upset by the thought of a GSP/ McGregor match at 170 while he is the champ, and that he wants the winner of Bisping/ GSP.

That seems like a misquote/ lying about what was said.

People on here hate woodley. There's no point in even talking to them about it.

Included in that "title defense" rubbish stat includes the 5rd drumming by Hendrix despite the robbery by corrupt American judges. By title defenses, we got a series of peppering jabs at busted orbital bone Koscheck or a bore fest of dry humping unless your into that?

The nonsense about "defenses" versus actually putting on a entertaining fight, going for the finish, etc are not the samething.

dj can have a million "defenses." It doesn't change the fact that he is ducking TJ and is terrified.I don't care how many defenses GSP had. He ducked TW, he ducked Hendricks rematch, he ducked Anderson his entire career and we are seeing his character or lack thereof fighting Bisping for the MW belt.

I never thought that GSP was very exciting either.

But you are arguing for Woodley, who takes boring to another fucking level. How you can argue for Woodley by stating that GSP is boring is fucking ridiculous.

Whether you thought he was fun to watch or not, GSP was dominant against elite competition. Woodley flat has not done that yet. That's the bottom line.

Skill wise, yea probaly. In terms of popularity or legacy, not even close.

I never thought that GSP was very exciting either.

But you are arguing for Woodley, who takes boring to another fucking level. How you can argue for Woodley by stating that GSP is boring is fucking ridiculous.

Whether you thought he was fun to watch or not, GSP was dominant against elite competition. Woodley flat has not done that yet. That's the bottom line.

I am doing no such thing. I hate that race baiter. It is cowardice to cry racist. It is not an argument unless you are a fat obese green hair woman going nuts after the trump election.

Maybe not but, if tW fights gsp, he beats his ass unconscious hence why GSP is ducking.

Whatever you won't be champion much longer hopefully. Just another forgettable champ after GSP.

I am doing no such thing. I hate that race baiter. It is cowardice to cry racist. It is not an argument unless you are a fat obese green hair woman going nuts after the trump election.

Maybe not but, if tW fights gsp, he beats his ass unconscious hence why GSP is ducking.

Wtf I'm talking about their accomplishments. GSP has accomplished FAR more than Woodley. Tyron has a VERY long way to go.

Of course the current champion would be favored over a guy that hasn't fought in 3 years. That was never the issue.

I like Woodley I can appreciate his fight style but come on.

Woodley does just enough to not let his opponent gain any offensive momentum, GSP completely shut off any offensive.

Woodley would sell out these venues

Gary indiana
Atlanta Georgia
Chicago Illinois
Inglewood California
Watts California

Woodley has surpassed GSP at fighting in a boring way in the last 3 fights.

No he isn't. I don't know how people can compare GSP & Woodley. Woodley is much more exciting fighter and there is always change for knockout in his fights. It's not his problem that people are more scared about his right hand, than McGregor left.

Sells 15k PVPs per fight and he's "surpassed" GSP. Ok.

tenor.gif

wow, old thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back