Woodley Upset He's Not a Draw Like GSP: "I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges"

Who are you a fan of?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In an age where title reigns are becoming more defined by the money fights a champion pursues than the traditional meritocracy associated with the UFC, Tyron Woodley is something of a throwback. Since winning the welterweight strap at UFC 201 last July, Woodley has defended the belt three times - each time against the top-ranked contender. Which isn’t to say that Woodley hasn’t tried to chase down money fights. Just hours after winning the title Woodley began calling out Georges St-Pierre, Conor McGregor, and Nick Diaz but those fights have so far eluded Woodley, particularly the most appealing one of them, St-Pierre.

. . .

Woodley has been vocal that St-Pierre is moving to middleweight for fear of him embarrassing the GOAT, and on the most recent edition of his The Morning Wood Show podcast, the champ doubled down on his assertions, saying that St-Pierre’s skills are outmoded in the new welterweight order and that he has passed the Canadian already as far as his abilities.

“Some guys have medium speed, medium power, good wrestling, good attacks. I’ve been blessed to have maximum speed, maximum explosion, maximum power, and then [Din Thomas] and Duke [Roufus] have helped me add the other stuff, economy of motion, knowing when to explode, when not to explode, how to fight five rounds. . .

“They don’t want them problems, man. He had a chance to fight me and he said no. . .

“Georges has been away for three years, almost four. By the time he gets in there, it’s gonna be just a few days shy of four years so the sport has caught up. Whatever advantage he had, whatever degree of separation he created by being such a great martial artist, people have played catchup. I think I’ve surpassed him. He was a person I looked up to but skill for skill, mindset, explosion, power, wrestling ability, timing, strategy, all those things, I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges and that’s why I want to go out there to fight him and prove it.”

. . .

But if St-Pierre wins, a McGregor call out becomes odd as the most obvious weight for that fight to happen at would be 170 pounds since McGregor has fought there twice before, but welterweight is a division currently lorded over by Woodley. The welterweight champion says doing that fight in his division while he is reigning would be disrespectful to his title.

“No, that’s a disrespect to me. . .

“[St-Pierre] probably [will call out McGregor], but he’s gonna have to be honest with the fans and say, ‘I’m here for money.” And that’s okay. There’s no shame in that. . . Just know I’m gonna call him out on that. Win, lose, or draw, I’m gonna want to fight the winner of that fight, Bisping or Georges. Then I’m going to want to come back and see all this fresh new talent in the welterweight division and I’m gonna want to show them a lesson too.”

. . .

So yet again Woodley appears to be sitting on the outside staring in as Georges St-Pierre lines up big money fight after big money fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...rre-conor-mcgregor-bout-is-a-disrespect-to-me

Woodley should try harder to be an exciting fighter if he wants big money fights.

I mean... I know his name...

If he didn't cry like a baby and talk shit all of the time he'd probably be a draw tbh.

Woodley has surpassed GSP at fighting in a boring way in the last 3 fights.

What?

7 more title defenses Tyron, then you can start talking about surpassing Georges.

Besides, your last 3 fights were more boring than GSPs and that's saying a fucking lot.

I don't think he's surpassed GSP in terms of legacy or popularity. Skill wise, he's a much more gifted and potentially more lethal version of him though.

To be fair, where does Woodley actually say he's upset he's not a draw like GSP?

don't see that anywhere in the article. He said he's upset by the thought of a GSP/ McGregor match at 170 while he is the champ, and that he wants the winner of Bisping/ GSP.

That seems like a misquote/ lying about what was said.

I don't think he's surpassed GSP in terms of legacy or popularity. Skill wise, he's a much more gifted and potentially more lethal version of him though.

I'd disagree with that. In fact, outside of power and fluidity with the right hand, there are very few attributes about Woodley I'd place above GSP.

For someone whose wrestling is touted so highly, he's barely shown any of it in the entirety of his UFC run.

Obvious most racist thread. Im highly offended by this. Everything offends me. I cant deal with this anymore. Why do people do and say anything. I can take it anymore.

What?

7 more title defenses Tyron, then you can start talking about surpassing Georges.

Besides, your last 3 fights were more boring than GSPs and that's saying a fucking lot.

Maybe you should read what he said instead of just the TS headline.

He said he believes he's surpassed GSP in the sense he would beat him in a fight. Not in terms of accomplishments.

Number 1.....had no clue his podcast was called morning wood

Number 2...
Lets see some of that maximum power and explosion.....or is he building it up to it's "maximum power" like a Kamekameha?

It's been a Chinese New year since he had a win that made a statement (Robbie lawlor)
And before that the last time he was involved in any powerful explosive KO, he was on the receiving end

Also.....in a way isn't the thread misleading??...he says he feels he's passed GSP skill wise due to his time off....not on the list as best welterweight of all time...i feel that should be emphasized....then again that doesn't get the thread views and replys does it?

Last edited:
Back