(WMMA) The myth that 115lbs is a deeper/better division than 135lbs. (JJs poor competition)

That's cause Jojo still has more marketability (popularity/Scottish/is not a "boring" Gay Hugger)

WAR Feber (female Faber)!
so you like boring gay huggers do ya?

noted

one thing I agree with the TS about is that JJ hasnt fought a good striker yet, thats why I really want the Jojo vs JoJed fight at some point

JoJo might have decent technique, but fights like shit off of the back foot, no head movement and shit striking defense.

I don't see how favoring a dynamic fighter is shallow, but yes, of course fans prefer dynamic fighters to grinders.
I don't mean favor as in liking them, I mean favor as in being biased in terms of one's "quality rating" of them.

As in "Yair Rodriguez is my favorite fighter" vs "Yair is the best FW!"

I came into this thread expecting to disagree but I have to say OP laid out a really solid arguement with some great points.

That said I do believe in Joanna's skills despite an apparent lack of competition.

I don't mean favor as in liking them, I mean favor as in being biased in terms of one's "quality rating" of them.

As in "Yair Rodriguez is my favorite fighter" vs "Yair is the best FW!"

I might agree to a certain extent, though people rated Khabib higher than his resume would warrant based on his superb grappling, so that bias cuts both ways.

you can't really doubt her striking skills or heart. And frankly I'm not convinced 125 or 135 are really that much better in comparison.

I might agree to a certain extent, though people rated Khabib higher than his resume would warrant based on his superb grappling, so that bias cuts both ways.
Khabib is like the one exception though, there are a lot more dynamic fighters who are prematurely rated sky high.

115 has several very good fighters and a slew of good fighters. I'm not trying to take shots at them. But you constantly run into this attitude on Sherdog like 115 is stacked and 135 is a wasteland, while they are fairly comparable, and if anything 135 has the slight edge. The real wasteland is of course 145, which has to be the weakest division of all time in any halfway respectable org.

115 is stacked. We can use our eyes and watch them fight.

115 put on consistently better fights than any other division in Invicta, (where they have 125 also) and will continue to do so in the UFC.

You guys can quote numbers of fighters and credentials until you are blue in the face, but 115 is the shark tank of WMMA. Anyone who has watched for awhile knows this.

What Joanna has done is more impressive than what any champ at 135 has done.... because the competition is that much better.

115 is stacked. We can use our eyes and watch them fight.

115 put on consistently better fights than any other division in Invicta, (where they have 125 also) and will continue to do so in the UFC.

You guys can quote numbers of fighters and credentials until you are blue in the face, but 115 is the shark tank of WMMA. Anyone who has watched for awhile knows this.

What Joanna has done is more impressive than what any champ at 135 has done.... because the competition is that much better.
I have watched for a while, and I can agree that the potential for growth in that division is greater than at 1335, but I'm hard pressed to treat a division that has featured fighters like PVZ in the top ten has Calderwood in the top then or had a champ as weak as Carla Esparza just a few years back as a shark tank.

You have to revert to the dubious "eye test" because otherwise facts just don't stack up in your favor.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Joanna is pretty much the greatest female MMA fighter we've yet seen at this point, and Gadelha is very impressive and Namajunas has a sky high ceiling. My point isn't to shit on 115 so much as to counter the habitual criticism of 135.

*Refers to trademark line about "eyes" and dynamism arguments directly above*

YOUR eyes are subjective.
Are you going to sit here and tell me 135 puts on better fights than 115? Seriously? You know that's not true.

No, its really not. Cyborg will beat Megan in under a minute. It wouldnt even be close.

Im no Cyborg fan, far from it, but Anderson really is that limited.

I have never understood why anyone would think Anderson would be anything other than a squash match. Not particularly quick, no head movement, shit striking defense, got beat up by a 135'er on the ground, and footwork like she is clogging on crystal meth. I may dislike Cyborg somewhat, but she whips Anderson like she is making a meringue.

I came into this thread expecting to disagree but I have to say OP laid out a really solid arguement with some great points.

That said I do believe in Joanna's skills despite an apparent lack of competition.

Thank you buddy.

Hey, I believe in her skills strongly too. She is a legitimate top tier striker. That's why she has been so dominant, she's on a different level to the Women she's been fighting. Her TDD and ability to get back to her feet after being taken down are exceptional also.

Rousey can Judo,her opponents cannot.

I dont have anything bad to say about 135 though. That was Rousey haters. I think Claudia showed that she was always a tough test for Joanna,and though she lost every round i thought Andrade was a dangerous opponent. Joanna had to be perfect to win.

Claudia lost every round to JJ? You even watched their two fights?

The second fight she dropped JJ with a jab in the first exchange and grappled the fuck out of her for the next 2.5 rounds. Claudia is by far JJ's toughest challenge at SW.

Claudia ain't winning no 5 round fight against her though.

EDIT: Whoops. Sorry. Totally misread what you said about Claudia.

Last edited:
Claudia lost every round to JJ? You even watched their two fights?

The second fight she dropped JJ with a jab in the first exchange and grappled the fuck out of her for the next 2.5 rounds. Claudia is by far JJ's toughest challenge at SW.

Claudia ain't winning no 5 round fight against her though.
re read what he wrote... He wasnt talking about Claudia losing every round

I have watched for a while, and I can agree that the potential for growth in that division is greater than at 1335, but I'm hard pressed to treat a division that has featured fighters like PVZ in the top ten has Calderwood in the top then or had a champ as weak as Carla Esparza just a few years back as a shark tank.

You have to revert to the dubious "eye test" because otherwise facts just don't stack up in your favor.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Joanna is pretty much the greatest female MMA fighter we've yet seen at this point, and Gadelha is very impressive and Namajunas has a sky high ceiling. My point isn't to shit on 115 so much as to counter the habitual criticism of 135.

Paige Vanzant was a special flower that was being protected, so let's leave her out.

On top of that, 135 in the UFC has had a couple more years of fights to shake itself out. We are seeing 115 sort out also and the rankings are getting much better as that happens.

From what I've seen, 115 is the epicenter of WMMA. I think 125 can put up a good fight, though.

135 will end up being about the same as 105, which will make massive leaps in the next few years.

145 *might* get to the point 105 is now.

Back