(WMMA) The myth that 115lbs is a deeper/better division than 135lbs. (JJs poor competition)

WBW's top 10 looks better to me from #5-9 as well as the top 2.
Eh, maybe a few years ago. I think Cat is shot (and I like her too), and Holm has been vastly overrated because of one win. McMann is pretty underrated though, and she has been quietly improving every fight while a lot of the other fighters such as Davis who were part of the early UFC WBW have stagnated. Carmouche and Bethe are low-end gatekeepers and really shouldn't be ranked in any respectable division.

When I see the top 10 of WSW I see a good variety of fighters still in or entering their prime. Can't say the same for 135. Hoping Aspen Ladd ends up being legit because the talent gap between the two divisions seems to grow every year as 115 gains more prospects while 135 gets older and older.

Eh, maybe a few years ago. I think Cat is shot (and I like her too), and Holm has been vastly overrated because of one win. McMann is pretty underrated though, and she has been quietly improving every fight while a lot of the other fighters such as Davis who were part of the early UFC WBW have stagnated. Carmouche and Bethe are low-end gatekeepers and really shouldn't be ranked in any respectable division.

When I see the top 10 of WSW I see a good variety of fighters still in or entering their prime. Can't say the same for 135. Hoping Aspen Ladd ends up being legit because the talent gap between the two divisions seems to grow every year as 115 gains more prospects while 135 gets older and older.
It depends on what you value more I guess, I find the divisions with more older, experienced fighters in the upper ranks more credible because they're actually proven and not just "entering their prime" now. I wouldn't concern myself too much with the "aging" fighters because 135 and 115 have roughly the same amount of worldwide depth (see Tapology links above) , when it's really time for those older fighters to step down they'll find someone to take their place. UFC just seems less picky about signing SW prospects for unknown reasons, maybe either because they feel the division is more open or they're padding the ranks in preparation for 125.

Carmouche and Bethe are low-end gatekeepers and really shouldn't be ranked in any respectable division.
Also Carmouche crushed Andrade (granted Andrade was very young) and gave close fights to Coenen and Tate, she is also very rarely finished. Jojo is no better in my view, arguably worse given how little of her hype she has lived up to.

I totally agree but its got nothing to do with 115 imo. That division is cleared out because Joanna Champion is an excellent fighter.
115 has several very good fighters and a slew of good fighters. I'm not trying to take shots at them. But you constantly run into this attitude on Sherdog like 115 is stacked and 135 is a wasteland, while they are fairly comparable, and if anything 135 has the slight edge. The real wasteland is of course 145, which has to be the weakest division of all time in any halfway respectable org.

115 has several very good fighters and a slew of good fighters. I'm not trying to take shots at them. But you constantly run into this attitude on Sherdog like 115 is stacked and 135 is a wasteland, while they are fairly comparable, and if anything 135 has the slight edge. The real wasteland is of course 145, which has to be the weakest division of all time in any halfway respectable org.
Besides the Ronda hate aspect, MMA fans are shallow and favor "dynamic" fighters. 115 has more "dynamic" fighters ie. strikers and young prospects willing to take more risks/engage in wild scrambles, 135 has more grapplers and experienced veterans who fight more tactically. Plus the smaller fighters being naturally faster and more agile.

EYES (ie. eye tests which are always biased towards aesthetic styles) ARE OVERRATED, Gay Hugging and um, non-dynamism are underrated. Thank you Frankie for proving that last night, thank you Woodley for beating Wonderboy, thank you RDA for smashing Pettis, thank you Greater Than Great Tate for beating Holm etc.

Gay Hugging ALWAYS!

Last edited:
watch the UFC fights. 115 division fighters have better mma records and put on more impressive mma performances than most of the 135 lb fighters.

Not only that, but 135 division is improving from how it started. It used to be many veteran 135 wmma fighters had poor records and were getting more battle worn.

Ultimately both divisions are growing rapidly and changing. UFC middleweight division has emerged today when it was historically considered a shallow and weak division.

I see quite a few people saying this. Am I the only one who thinks 135 has clearly got better competitors than 115lbs ?

Some people are saying that Joanna's striking is technically one of the best, regardless of weight/gender, in the whole of MMA/the UFC. May I ask WHO she has beaten who has a solid, respectable striking background ?

You missed Calderwood who is probably the best technical striker outside of Joanna (but keeps doing dumb shit like gifting people submissions or she would be a lot closer to a title shot)

As for depth... Esparza, lost to unranked fighter... JAG formerly the top 115'er in the world. lost to unranked fighter.

That suggests to me that there is depth

besides, shit takes time.

there was fuck all depth in mens divisions when they started.. could argue there still isnt at flyweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight

Also Carmouche crushed Andrade (granted Andrade was very young) and gave close fights to Coenen and Tate, she is also very rarely finished. Jojo is no better in my view, arguably worse given how little of her hype she has lived up to.
Jojo is worse than Carmouche? you are fucking retarded if you believe that

Andrade wasn't JJs biggest threat. At 115lbs their is no threat outside of Claudia Gadelha, but she can't seem to bridge the gap to match JJ. JJs threats are at 125lbs if she moves up when they open the division.

Most people who know and understand WMMA knew that Andrade wasnt a huge threat outside of being tough as a bull

Her three wins at 115, Jessica penne who never recovered from the beating that JJ gave her, Calderwood who she was unable to control on the ground but JoJo decided to gift wrap her neck on a place for her, and Angela Hill who took who to a decision.

Angela has improved, but shes nowhere near JJ.

You obviously bought the "Andrade is a monster, shes a huge threat" line...most followers of WMMA knew she was overrated

(But shes very young, she will get much better)

This is MMA, your argument that it's not impressive to beat MMA fighters in an MMA match is ridiculous.

Jojo is worse than Carmouche? you are fucking retarded if you believe that
Now now don't be oversensitive, Carmouche is underrated and I'd think that in general Carmouche fans have felt less disappointment than Jojo fans. ;)

along with Cyborg and Anderson, which is the real fight we need to see in WMMA

No, its really not. Cyborg will beat Megan in under a minute. It wouldnt even be close.

Im no Cyborg fan, far from it, but Anderson really is that limited.

The women's divisions are super shallow in general. JJ good doe.

Now now don't be oversensitive, Carmouche is underrated and I'd think that in general Carmouche fans have felt less disappointment than Jojo fans. ;)
one is 3-2 in the UFC, the other is 3-3

behave

one is 3-2 in the UFC, the other is 3-3

behave
Yes but if you look at the fights, Carmouche had the best moment against Ronda prior to Holly and came very close to beating 2-time champion Tate, Jojo got quickly disposed of by both Moroz and Android. Plus TUF although not official was another incident Jojo fans could draw disappointment from.

CARMOUCHE IS STRONG! :D

Yes but if you look at the fights, Carmouche had the best moment against Ronda prior to Holly and came very close to beating 2-time champion Tate, Jojo got quickly disposed of by both Moroz and Android. Plus TUF although not official was another incident Jojo fans could draw disappointment from.

CARMOUCHE IS STRONG! :D
and yet Carmouche is a curtain jerker and Jojo is a co-main event

again, behave

and yet Carmouche is a curtain jerker and Jojo is a co-main event

again, behave
That's cause Jojo still has more marketability (popularity/Scottish/is not a "boring" Gay Hugger)

WAR Feber (female Faber)!

Back