Why isn't Deontay Wilder a household name?

Because he doesn't have blond hair and blue eyes.

source.gif

Foreman
Ali
Frazier
Tyson
Holyfield
Lewis
Holmes
Louis
Liston
Patterson

Anthony is getting there as well.

All these guys had blue eyes and blond hair right? GTFO of here with your bullfuck.<Dany07>

I’ve heard the name but never seen him or care because he must not promote himself or lacks charisma. Ali, Tyson, Roy Jones, Mayweather etc were all household names because they marketed and sold themselves.

Whys this in mma forum? Someone move it quick..

Its a contact sport , but so far from MMA (or entertaining). Had no idea who either guy was until this week, hadn't seen a picture of either one until yesterday. Don't know who GGG is or what it stands for , no idea who this Paulie guy people keep mentioning is. Judging sucks as much as the simple minded sport itself.

Growing up, I heard that boxing was dead in America because there weren't any great American HWs anymore.

The guy is American, young, ripped, good looking, 40-0 with 39 KOs, and has 8 world title defenses. Isn't that a marketer's dream? Why isn't he a household name? Why isn't he bringing American audiences back to HW boxing like Tyson did?

It's probably because he isn't shit talking on Twitter and Instagram non-stop, catering to the typical double digit IQ having, mother's basement dwelling, tough guy wanna be manchild fan- like Conor or Colby.

Tyson’s gonna be hosting the late show after he retires.

Cats golden.

I made this here because I think MMA fans would have a better perspective than boxing fans. Boxing fans are into boxing; they would't know why anyone's not a boxing fan. Whereas MMA fans aren't boxing fans and can explain why they're not boxing fans. And my question is basically why aren't you a boxing fan?
I never said I wasn't a boxing fan. I watched the Fury Wilder fight from start to finish. I also don't mind discussing it in a UFC context.

But that's not what this is. This isn't UFC discussion. This isn't even MMA discussion. And your OP makes no mention of asking why MMA fans are not boxing fans.

This mis-categorizing threads intentionally to draw more attention to your shit is just annoying. It should be a yellow card. I'll stop complaining and log off since it hasn't changed for hours. Either mods are all sleeping or don't care.

But don't act like this is something its not. Its you posting a thread in the wrong forum because you want more page views. And it worked. Kudos.

His best punch is not technically sound and he would windmill punches

Foreman
Ali
Frazier
Tyson
Holyfield
Lewis
Holmes
Louis
Liston
Patterson

Anthony is getting there as well.

All these guys had blue eyes and blond hair right? GTFO of here with your bullfuck.<Dany07>
Your sarcasm detector is broken.

But good job on the list.

Fury won 9 rounds easily imo, pity patter shots.. yep but he avoided most of wilders shots. The knockdown was epic and in all honesty if it got stopped there I doubt ppl would complain. Fury was just the better boxer sorry. All that said I’d actually like to see wilder try MMA, I think his build and power would suit it if he could take s year to try learn the ground
Outboxed is Mayweather v. Canelo or Billy Joe Saunders v. Lemeuix. The rounds were close, and the knockdowns were the most decisive factors. You can’t pitty pat your way to a belt as the challenger if you were almost stopped twice. A draw was the best case scenario for Fury.

Growing up, I heard that boxing was dead in America because there weren't any great American HWs anymore.

The guy is American, young, ripped, good looking, 40-0 with 39 KOs, and has 8 world title defenses. Isn't that a marketer's dream? Why isn't he a household name? Why isn't he bringing American audiences back to HW boxing like Tyson did?
Because he's Alabaman and most of his career was fought in the boondocks in the South. If he was a New Yorker he would've been a household name by now. He does a lot of promotion for "urban" outlets so the black community knows him already. After this fight, his star has risen tenfold so he'll get there.

First time seeing Wilder and I'm a casual fan of boxing:

I thought his style was boring as hell. Barely any combinations, huge looping overhands that almost made him trip over himself several times. 2 knockdowns didn't make up for that. Maybe he looked worse because of Fury's defense though.

I actually spoke some nice things about him, but dude brought race into this fight for no apparent reason a day out from the fight and was trying to intimidate reporters and act like a thug when it was completely unecessary, so yeah, maybe I spoke too soon. I take back thinking he was an alright guy.
Given what some other boxers, MMA fighters have said and done to each other over the years I think Wilder and Fury were actually very civil

Fury won 9 rounds easily imo, pity patter shots.. yep but he avoided most of wilders shots. The knockdown was epic and in all honesty if it got stopped there I doubt ppl would complain. Fury was just the better boxer sorry. All that said I’d actually like to see wilder try MMA, I think his build and power would suit it if he could take s year to try learn the ground

Being the better boxer is only a part of it. Skill is the end all be all if it ultimately yields damage. Tyson did zero damage unfortunately. And as the challenger, you aren’t entitled to the victory if you can’t damage your opponent, and don’t even try to.
Also funny how it was bad when Mayweather fought that way with busted hands, but now fans love Saunders and Tyson for it. To think that Fury got robbed is laughable as well.

I actually spoke some nice things about him, but dude brought race into this fight for no apparent reason a day out from the fight and was trying to intimidate reporters and act like a thug when it was completely unecessary, so yeah, maybe I spoke too soon. I take back thinking he was an alright guy.

You’re just going to ignore the fact that he was saying it in response to Fury’s whole gypsy shtick? That’s not race baiting though, right?

Back