Why isn't Deontay Wilder a household name?

It’s because he dresses like a villain from bleach anime

He also got 2 knockouts in 1 fight. Very shady ref with the 15 counts.

The stage was set for a Rocky story that everyone and promoters wanted and Deontay upset it with the knockouts but was very gracious not to sour the narrative that people paid for

Many reasons - some because of him, some because of other factors. First off - he has a padded record. Secondly - despite him being a KO artist, I don't think he's that entertaining to watch to be quite fair. Then there is the whole factor of HW boxing being pretty dead overall.

Many reasons - some because of him, some because of other factors. First off - he has a padded record. Secondly - despite him being a KO artist, I don't think he's that entertaining to watch to be quite fair. Then there is the whole factor of HW boxing being pretty dead overall.
This has truth to it. For a guy with so many KO's he's boring as hell.

Sure as shit no Mike Tyson.

Tyson Fury has more potential to be a household name, he is a unique character, has good mic skills and is relatable. Deontay is just the stereotypical pro athlete, dime a dozen.

Not denying his power, but e got completely out boxed

Outboxed is Mayweather v. Canelo or Billy Joe Saunders v. Lemeuix. The rounds were close, and the knockdowns were the most decisive factors. You can’t pitty pat your way to a belt as the challenger if you were almost stopped twice. A draw was the best case scenario for Fury.

Because boxing moved away from free tv, people have other sources of entertainment, has too many belts and a ton of shitty judges.

Because he doesn't have blond hair and blue eyes.

source.gif

He's terrible. Fury danced around him. He can punch. But that's all he's good for. Fury > Deontay.
You mad?

Fury won. They gave Deontay the points to tally up to a draw to sell a rematch.

Fury showed heart and outclassed Deontay.

You CLEARLY know nothing about the sweet science.

A draw was absolutely the right decision.
It doesnt matter if Fury won more rounds with dancing, he never seriously hurt Wilder or threatened to put him away.

Wilder almost finished the fight twice.

You simply cannot 'win' a HW title when your flat on your back and literally half a second count from being KOd with your eyes rolled back in your head before you miraculosly recovered.

Wilder lacks textbook boxing but if Fury was really capeable of exposing his boxing holes he shouldve been able to stop or finish him, Wilder does not have the greatest chin. But he couldnt.
People will hopefully have more respect now for Wilders unorthadox non technical fighting..

All in all, a great fight. Worthy of a rematch and Wilder will now get some acclaim.
He has all the looks of a superstar but MMA replaced boxing as the premier combat sport a while ago.

Fury needs to finish Wilder in the rematch. Otherwise the same thing happens, if you cant put Wilder away he is just a split second away from finishing you.

Because Wilder sucks lol. Somebody on Youtube once wrote that he was "the best worst boxer they'd ever seen." I'd say that's pretty much accurate.

Plus you need more than skills or a long stack of wins to get over with a mass audience anyway. You need a certain amount of charisma and aura and such, and those things are intangible.

Last nights shit doesn’t help him. Not through any fault of his but Fury and Joshua should arrange to fight and let Wilders belt be irrelevant in the corrupt American boxing scene.

If you're even a mild boxing fan, wilder is a household name but i get what you're saying..If you're a sports fan , you should know his name and sadly not the case.

Because Boxing is Boring. When I was stationed overseas, we had AFRTS and the only sports of any kind was boxing. I loved boxing, hell my older brother was a SAAU heavyweight champion in 1966!...But MMA is so much more entertaining than boxing. IMO...:)

Back