Why isn't Deontay Wilder a household name?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Growing up, I heard that boxing was dead in America because there weren't any great American HWs anymore.

The guy is American, young, ripped, good looking, 40-0 with 39 KOs, and has 8 world title defenses. Isn't that a marketer's dream? Why isn't he a household name? Why isn't he bringing American audiences back to HW boxing like Tyson did?

hqdefault.jpg

Ask the boxing fans. over there.

Boxing isn’t as big anymore ..Plus he never fought a big name until tonight and if it wasn’t for that late knockdown it was a loss .He still lost IMO.

I thought he was. Everyone at work was running home to see the fight.

Because he lost to Charlie Zelenoff

Who’s he fought? Tyson Fury is the only name on his record. If he’d fought Wladimir or Joshua and won he’d be a superstar

boxing ain't what it used to be
soccer, football, basketball control the superstars these days especially basketball for whatever reason

You lost me at good looking

Boxing isnt big because society changed. Most Americans fall under the category of pussification.

Because Europe has controlled the Heavyweight division for so long that Americans lost interest, at least that's how it seems to me. When Mike Tyson was the champion he was everywhere in the media. I think it's good for the sport to have an American on top it seems to generate so much more interest from everyone.

I actually spoke some nice things about him, but dude brought race into this fight for no apparent reason a day out from the fight and was trying to intimidate reporters and act like a thug when it was completely unecessary, so yeah, maybe I spoke too soon. I take back thinking he was an alright guy.

Because his ascent came in a time where HW boxing was dead in the states. So there was no old guard of known guys like Larry Holmes, Spinks, Bruno, etc. for him to humiliate. Nobody in the states knows or cares about Stiverne, Molina, Spiltzka(sp) And he never beat either of the Klitschkos that would’ve helped.

Plus, I’ve been watching Wilder through his entire time in Showtime and honestly, he isn’t that great. Not compared to how Tyson looked during his run. It’s not as simple as having a look or a record. Wilder has excellent knockouts but he doesn’t have the wrecking ball and almost inhuman quality that Mike Tyson had

All that said, he’s getting some buzz now

Hes a hard guy to judge. He obviously has skills but he gets super sloppy in there,even a casual can see that. Those stiverne wins were against a punching bag and even then hes missing these winging punches and looks ridiculous. Hes gotten this far and still does that. But hes got skills and he def got power. Fun to watch but hopefully hes just fighting more names from here on out.

Because his ascent came in a time where HW boxing was dead in the states. So there was no old guard of known guys like Larry Holmes, Spinks, Bruno, etc. for him to humiliate. Nobody in the states knows or cares about Stiverne, Molina, Spiltzka(sp) And he never beat either of the Klitschkos.

Plus, I’ve been watching Wilder through his entire time in Showtime and honestly, he isn’t that great. Not compared to how Tyson looked during his run. It’s not as simple as having a look or a record. Wilder has excellent knockouts but he doesn’t have the wrecking ball and almost inhuman quality that Mike Tyson had
You cant compare anyone to tyson,thats not being fair at all.

It turns gradually from funny to grim as Tyson begins to realize they're not going to sell many PPVs.

Last edited:
Back