Why I think Woodley is a paper champion

lol TS you're so biased that I don't know where to start.

If Rory would have won the title against Woodley...he would have been a paper champ because Lawler beat him twice?
This thread makes no sense.
You just don't understand the definition of a paper champion. At least my interpretation of what one is.

*Punchers Chance* Obviously Woodley has that against any man at WW.

Ok. Then what are you debating exactly?

the fact that ts thinks Maia beats him half the time is a joke.

also Rory lost his title fight then his #1 contender bout vs Wonderboy so who knows if he could even get another title shot.

Woodley is a great heel. I don't hate him, but I love to hate him.

If you really hate him then just be patient. It will be that much sweeter when his time comes.

Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

4. He's got losses on his record he'll never avenge (Nate, Shields, Rory)

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.
How the fuck can you think Thompson won that first fight?

A majority decision and draw are far from "fair" or clear.
It's not clear(didn't use that word), but it's fair. No need to try and rewrite the rules of the game for fantasy outcomes. Draws don't lose you titles, and an MD/SD win are wins.

If you had either of the Thompson fights scored for Thompson then you have absolutely no clue as to what you are watching.

Neither of those fights were hard to score. And Woodley won both.

I actually think the first one should've been for Woodley and the second one a draw (because it wasn't even a fight.)
Nonetheless, he retained his 2 titles because Wonderboy did nothing, he has to engage the champion if he wants to win, not try to counter the fighter with the least-output in welterweight title fight history.

TS

he beat a legit champ and successfully defended 3 times

he outstruck WB

and maia aould not take him down

he´s not a paper champ

also, racist threda

Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.

Didn't Woodley already best gasteleum pretty convincingly?

Nah, he is super legit. It still hurts to have someone not named Robbie Lawler as
a champ but what can you do.

First response is someone crying about Conor haha Jesus people can we please have one discussion without Conor please.

I may not like Tyrons fighting style but there is no way he can be classed as a paper champ dude has fought albeit reluctantly everyone the UFC has put in front of him.

I'm not a fan of Woodley but he won both Wonderboy fights based on the fact that he actually did something, the same can't be said for Wonderboy.

This. Not enough people see this.

If it were the other way around you better believe people would be hailing the knockdown damage powerkick of Thompson.

First response is someone crying about Conor haha Jesus people can we please have one discussion without Conor please.

I may not like Tyrons fighting style but there is no way he can be classed as a paper champ dude has fought albeit reluctantly everyone the UFC has put in front of him.

Another thing, there is a popular myth that Woodley is soo reluctant to fight contenders. He said he wanted money fights, as many champs seem to be doing now, but if he didnt get it okay, he'd fight the contenders, leaving aside whether he deserves a choice or not, every top fighter is taking chances in the game.

Paper Champion means that a person is only champion due to a technicality.... like a technicality you would find in paper work.... Basically an Interim Champion, or a champion that won the belt only because another fighter was stripped of the belt.

Theoretical discussion aside, he has one of the better recent resumes of champions in the UFC. Better than Cody, Bisping, Conor at 155, Cyborg, arguably Holloway, and depending on how you view WMMA possibly Nunes and JJ.

He has beaten the best grappler at WW, arguably the best strikers at WW (outstriking them with a wrestling base!), and Mexico's greatest hope.

He is the TRUTH.

#CHESS

Fight Finder fan is weaker then Aesthetics fan.

I have been very critical of Woodley in this forum, but not for his fighting credentials. If he has losses on his record, he has used them to improve his game. He beat the champ fair and square at his own game. Defended three times already while other belts have gone undefended. I don't like Woodley, but he's no paper champ.

Back