Why I think Woodley is a paper champion

Jon Stark

King in the North
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

4. He's got losses on his record he'll never avenge (Nate, Shields, Rory)

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.

He's not Conor Mcgregor type shitty fighter. He did not handpick his opponents. He defended his belt three times against dangerous elite fighters. What are you bitching about?

Theoretical discussion aside, he has one of the better recent resumes of champions in the UFC. Better than Cody, Bisping, Conor at 155, Cyborg, arguably Holloway, and depending on how you view WMMA possibly Nunes and JJ.

He has beaten the best grappler at WW, arguably the best strikers at WW (outstriking them with a wrestling base!), and Mexico's greatest hope.

He is the TRUTH.

#CHESS

I'm anti-Woodley as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't say he's a paper champ.

DC was paper champ because he never beat the champion.

I've been on the fence about ignoring you for the past month or so since I've started to notice your contributions here. Thank you for making my decision easy.

I'm not a fan of Woodley but he won both Wonderboy fights based on the fact that he actually did something, the same can't be said for Wonderboy.

They're all paper champions except Jon Jones

His resume is stacked your crazy.

this is trolling I hope...

He's not Conor Mcgregor type shitty fighter. He did not handpick his opponents. He defended his belt three times against dangerous elite fighters. What are you bitching about?
He does not appreciate chess mastery.

Wow, @Jim , sounds like you're a sour sport.

I love "He's got losses he'll never avenge", like this is criteria for fucking anything. This sounds like GSP kid logic.

Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.

Q57JW_s-200x150.gif

There are things that Woodley can be criticized for but he is not a paper champ. He legitimately beat the champ, and it wasn't controversial. And he has defended it repeatedly against top competition.

TS...

giphy.gif

If you thought Thompson won two fights in which almost nothing happened except the parts where he was knocked on his ass and bloodied, then your opinion on the legitimacy of Woodley's belt is null. Woodley can be maddeningly inactive as a fighter, but he was the better fighter against Thompson in both fights.

Beyond that, and actually address in your argument, it is based entirely on speculation about which fighters you think could beat Tyrone Woodley in a hypothetical fight.

That he's not even close to being the best WW on the planet.

I'm anti-Woodley as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't say he's a paper champ.

DC was paper champ because he never beat the champion.
And woodley never beat GSP or Macdonald. (or Shields and Nate the great)

If you thought Thompson won two fights in which almost nothing happened except the parts where he was knocked on his ass and bloodied, then your opinion on the legitimacy of Woodley's belt is null. Woodley can be maddeningly inactive as a fighter, but he was the better fighter against Thompson in both fights.

Beyond that, and actually address in your argument, it is based entirely on speculation about which fighters you think could beat Tyrone Woodley in a hypothetical fight.
Q: Do you think Woodley is a better WW fighter than GSP or Rory?

Rory smoked him and Thompson should have won 48-47 in their second fight.

Back