Why I think Woodley is a paper champion

Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

4. He's got losses on his record he'll never avenge (Nate, Shields, Rory)

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.
I don't have to read this trash to tell you that you are wrong and I hope no one else does either.

Even if I don't like his last 3 fights, he's won 4 title fights in 1 year.

That's the way to be an active champ.

He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.
But Thompson barely did anything, he never hurt Woodley.
The rounds Thompson won were barely worth anything in my eyes cause no damage was dealt, compared to the rounds when Woodley actually knocked Thompson down.

People need to stop questioning Woodley's elite status. He decisively eliminated a highly dominant striker and bjj black belt, both of whom already cleared a majority of the division. The dude is fast, technical, and could likely go 30 rounds if they made him.

It is very rare that 99% of SD agrees on something, but TS made that happen lol

Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.

I'm a fan of Woodley, but liked the OP because this is some solid trolling.

7.8/10

SOrry, but that's some far reaching straw-men argument.
1) Rory left. Can't blame him for that.
2) He didn't lose to Thompson. Actually he beat Thompson twice. Blame Thompson for doing fuck NOTHING and almost getting KO'd in the process. If he was not so fucking afraid to lose, he might have attempted to win.
3) No one knows how GSP will fare in his return. CLaiming you know he is better than Woodley is asinine at best.
4) Anderson SIlva lost before becoming a champion. GSP fucking lost as well. The only champions (worth mentioning) without losses were Fedor and Barao. They both lost since.
5) GSP (as noted) is unknown.
Thompson lost. Being in denial does not make your argument any stronger.
Rory left.
Maia Lost
Lima is not in the UFC. Hard to gauge how he would fare.

Bottom line: You have absolutely no point.

Woodley must call out GSP and beat him to be the best ..beings GSP is actually the greatest WW of all time and currently is active .. Lets see him get out wrestled and out struck .. Maybe second best ..def not THE best

Multiple wins (or hell even really close losses) against a variety of top fighters is more solid evidence of being top tier than looking great against lesser competition or even looking great against one or a couple of top fighters. Look great against 1 or 2 good opponents and you could just be a bad style matchup for them or even have caught them on an off day or gotten "lucky" in the worst case scenario (like Sokoudjou), having solid performances against multiple top opponents>>>

Woodley beating Maia, Wonderboy, Lawler, Condit and Gastellum and even having a close fight with Shields>>>(credibility wise) anyone who has fought a single proven top opponent (eg. Cody). He's shown he can fight against a variety of styles and adapt/not flounder except the one time against Rory, that's as legit as it gets short of dominating against all those styles.

#DepthOfResume

<Kpop775>

Aesthetic matters more then you give it credit.

That's how you judge fighters not from looking up fight finder.

<Kpop775>

Aesthetic matters more then you give it credit.

That's how you judge fighters not from looking up fight finder.
"Looking better" often ends up being more about what style you prefer hence for many fans the aesthetics-based judgment gets unreasonably biased. Like when Tate and Woodley's wrestling was completely ignored by many when judging their chances against Holm and Wonderboi or how much more hyped Pettis was than RDA even though RDA by the time they met had similar level of recent wins.

Or your boy. :cool:

"Looking better" often ends up being more about what style you prefer hence for many fans the aesthetics-based judgment gets unreasonably biased. Like when Tate and Woodley's wrestling was completely ignored by many when judging their chances against Holm and Wonderboi or how much more hyped Pettis was than RDA even though RDA by the time they met had similar level of recent wins.

Or your boy. :cool:

Still on that Tate fight.. my aesthetic clearly tell me she pulled that one out of her behind.

To bad she quit would have loved the rematch, see you all sweating with you fightfinder.

Now, the Borg will assimilate my poor Holly.. damn it.

Until he avenges his loss to Rory and beats GSP he's maybe third best at WW although I'd suggest Thompson and Gas (returning to WW) would be better than him. When you have the belt and you're not the best fighter in the division, you are a paper champion.

No he's best at welterweight
Not all time
But currently Anyway

Still on that Tate fight.. my aesthetic clearly tell me she pulled that one out of her behind.
It was a pretty even fight, if she had gotten the takedown in the 5th but not the sub it would have been a draw (since the 2nd round was 10-8 on all judges' cards). Also Tate LOOKED ;) to have a bigger advantage on the ground than Holm on the feet. For you to extrapolate from that to one fighter winning 9/10 in that matchup is BIAS based on preferring their style (or just the fighter, but your other fighters who you support/don't support suggest otherwise) lol.

It was a pretty even fight, if she had gotten the takedown in the 5th but not the sub it would have been a draw (since the 2nd round was 10-8 on all judges' cards). Also Tate LOOKED ;) to have a bigger advantage on the ground than Holm on the feet. For you to extrapolate from that to one fighter winning 9/10 in that matchup is BIAS based on preferring their style (or just the fighter, but your other fighters who you support/don't support suggest otherwise) lol.

Holly wins 9 out of 10.

:D

Kramer-OMG-WTF.gif

I could write a dissertation on why this thread sucks and OP is completely wrong about Woodley but who am I kidding? It's not like anyone is open to changing their minds. People make up their mind about certain fighters and no amount of information or analysis can sway them. It's not worth the hassle. Good luck with your thinly veiled hate/bash thread.

Even if I don't like his last 3 fights, he's won 4 title fights in 1 year.

That's the way to be an active champ.
Active champ? Absolutely. Paper champ? Absolutely.

I could write a dissertation on why this thread sucks and OP is completely wrong about Woodley but who am I kidding? It's not like anyone is open to changing their minds. People make up their mind about certain fighters and no amount of information or analysis can sway them. It's not worth the hassle. Good luck with your thinly veiled hate/bash thread.
Thank you.

Back