Why I think Woodley is a paper champion

There are things that Woodley can be criticized for but he is not a paper champ. He legitimately beat the champ, and it wasn't controversial. And he has defended it repeatedly against top competition.

TS...

giphy.gif
Until he avenges his loss to Rory and beats GSP he's maybe third best at WW although I'd suggest Thompson and Gas (returning to WW) would be better than him. When you have the belt and you're not the best fighter in the division, you are a paper champion.

Woodley is far from the paper champ, he's easily the best in the division let's get that out of the way....

Right... He's also the most boring personality wise and unfortunately since becoming champ fighting style wise, but it's because of his superiority he's able to be so boring, he chooses to fight safe and there's not a single thing anyone can do about it.
His wrestling means he cancels out other wrestlers, and also stops BJJ guys getting him down, and he's a powerful and accurate striker and managed to do to wonderboy what nobody else could.

But he's just so boring it's impossible to be a fan.

Q: Do you think Woodley is a better WW fighter than GSP or Rory?
Hard to say. No one knows how good GSP is right now. His legacy dwarfs Woodleys and any other wWWs, but that has nothing to do with who would win if they fight this year. Rory beat Woodely in embarrassing fashion. Woodley also easily defeated Lawler, who is 2-0 against Rory.

It's also an irrelevant question to whether or not Woodley is an illegitimate champ. He beat the man to be the man, something Rory could never do.

Woodley is far from the paper champ, he's easily the best in the division let's get that out of the way....

Right... He's also the most boring personality wise and unfortunately since becoming champ fighting style wise, but it's because of his superiority he's able to be so boring, he chooses to fight safe and there's not a single thing anyone can do about it.
His wrestling means he cancels out other wrestlers, and also stops BJJ guys getting him down, and he's a powerful and accurate striker and managed to do to wonderboy what nobody else could.

But he's just so boring it's impossible to be a fan.
You really think he's the best WW on the planet?

Hard to say. No one knows how good GSP is right now. His legacy dwarfs Woodleys and any other wWWs, but that has nothing to do with who would win if they fight this year. Rory beat Woodely in embarrassing fashion. Woodley also easily defeated Lawler, who is 2-0 against Rory.

It's also an irrelevant question to whether or not Woodley is an illegitimate champ. He beat the man to be the man, something Rory could never do.
But Rory already dominated him? You really think Woodley would beat Rory now? Friggin lol

But Rory already dominated him? You really think Woodley would beat Rory now? Friggin lol
You've never seen a fighter who lost one fight badly win the rematch? Friggin really?

You really think he's the best WW on the planet?
Read my whole post, best from a fans perspective, fuck no he's impossible to like, who can beat him though currently?

Until he avenges his loss to Rory and beats GSP he's maybe third best at WW
Then how is Rory better than Lawler and WB if he lost to them more recently than Woodley lost to Rory? Lawler>Rory>Woodley>Lawler?

And GSP hasn't fought in years, he's not currently a relevant WW until he proves he is.

You've never seen a fighter who lost one fight badly win the rematch? Friggin really?
Woodley has done nothing to make me think he'd have anymore than a punchers chance vs a skill set like Rory's.

Tyron Woodley is the recipient of extremely good timing and lucky breaks. Yes, he knocked Lawler senseless in his biggest career win and Yes, he beat Maia in boring fashion but hear me out on why I feel he is a paper champion.

1. Rory Macdonald, who owned him is not in the UFC. If he was, I predict Woodley would have lost a rematch already.

2. He arguably lost to Thompson twice. I had both fights 48-47 Thompson. Thompson is better.

3. GSP, who is the greatest WW of all time is fighting at MW and would probably beat him at WW which means he's not even the best who's competed for at WW in the UFC right now.

4. He's got losses on his record he'll never avenge (Nate, Shields, Rory)

On the planet right now, I suspect GSP, Thompson, Macdonald, Lima, Maia half the time and probably Gasteleum at WW beats him. He's got so much luck riding on his successes lately. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, you're barely top 5.
1. Woodley improved a lot, changed teams, training, diet, etc... since the Rory fight.

2. I thought he won both fights edging Wonderbread via the TDs. But both were pretty close matches.

3. Retired fighters shouldn't matter in declaring who's champions. Even if they come back, you don't just hand them the belt...

4. hundreds of thousands of champions in combat sports history have losses they never avenged. Means jack shit.

Woodley won the title fair and square, and defended it multiple times fair and square.

PS: Matches/styles being boring should not affect the judging of the performance, especially when the other guy looks like a butchery shelf.

Woodley has done nothing to make me think he'd have anymore than a punchers chance vs a skill set like Rory's.

Rory had absolutely nothing for Robbie lawler, Tyrone has better wrestling, striking and power than Robbie as we saw, that's the difference now.

Edit - had nothing was a bit harsh haha, people get me though.

Then how is Rory better than Lawler and WB if he lost to them?

And GSP hasn't fought in years, he's not currently a relevant WW until he proves he is.
1. Woodley improved a lot, changed teams, training, diet, etc... since the Rory fight.

2. I thought he won both fights edging Wonderbread via the TDs. But both were pretty close matches.

3. Retired fighters shouldn't matter in declaring who's champions. Even if they come back, you don't just hand them the belt...

4. hundreds of thousands of champions in combat sports history have losses they never avenged. Means jack shit.

Woodley won the title fair and square, and defended it multiple times fair and square.

PS: Matches/styles being boring should not affect the judging of the performance, especially when the other guy looks like a butchery shelf.
A majority decision and draw are far from "fair" or clear.

Rory had absolutely nothing for Robbie lawler, Tyrone has better wrestling, striking and power than Robbie as we saw, that's the difference now.
Rory blew it in the 5th by being a warrior.

I don't even like Woodley and this thread doesn't make sense. Woodley is legit. Overly cautious to the point of being exasperating, but legit. A very strong wrestler with an excellent sense of his limitations as a fighter and the mental discipline to make the best use of his talents even when it earns him boos.

As soon as he runs into an orthodox wrestler with a good jab his ass is grass, however.

Who the hell is Woodley going to fight next? Lawler again? The WW division is weak and needs some energy.

Rory blew it in the 5th by being a warrior.
Rory doesn't stand a chance now, Tyrone came into his own, Rory stagnated as a fighter and contender, he was missing that edge and was always going to be GSPs understudy, good fighter but just lacked something.

I think Rory beats him 9/10 but he is not in the UFC, so Woodley is the legitimate UFC WW champ

Also, what would you say if Lima beats Rory? Lima is the lineal UFC champ? You can't apply mmath in everything

Last edited:
He is legit.
He is boring, and was lucky from time to time.
He is still legit.

Ts just say that maia beats him?

I really wish they'd make that fight. I'd really like to see what would happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back