Why do you like Pulp Fiction?

images

This man alone. Jules was just cool as shit. I wanted QT to make a Jules movie of him walking the earth like a modern day Kung Fu. That would have been the coolest movie ever, like a foul mouthed combo of Kwai Chang Caine and Clint Eastwoods "man with no name" character. That and I like to say fuck a lot, so he was relatable.

Cool stylish movie with awesome dialogue. I agree though QT has done better tho

images

This man alone. Jules was just cool as shit. I wanted QT to make a Jules movie of him walking the earth like a modern day Kung Fu. That would have been the coolest movie ever, like a foul mouthed combo of Kwai Chang Caine and Clint Eastwoods "man with no name" character. That and I like to say fuck a lot, so he was relatable.

Again that does highlight that beyond the coolness there is actually some depth to most of QT's films. People often look at him "ennobling" genre cinema as merely improving the quality of production/writing/acting yet beyond that he also tends to add a good deal more dramatic depth.

I mean if you look at something like Guy Ritchie's Snatch for example I would say not only isn't it as well written/acted/filmed as Pulp Fiction but its almso considerably emptier, basically an amusing jape were the badguy gets his just desserts in the end.

I dont think its fair to compare snatch to pulp fiction. Yes its influenced by pf but i dont think its trying to be that movie either.

Again that does highlight that beyond the coolness there is actually some depth to most of QT's films. People often look at him "ennobling" genre cinema as merely improving the quality of production/writing/acting yet beyond that he also tends to add a good deal more dramatic depth.

I mean if you look at something like Guy Ritchie's Snatch for example I would say not only isn't it as well written/acted/filmed as Pulp Fiction but its almso considerably emptier, basically an amusing jape were the badguy gets his just desserts in the end.
I look at Guy Ritchie, Robert Rodriquez and Taratino as very similar. Ritchie though basically told the same story in Snatch and Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels, after that he went more main stream with the Sherlock Holmes movies. Oddly I think he's the least talented of the three, but had the most "mainstream" success. Honestly I think Robert Rodriguez is the most talented of the three. Though he gets brownie points for bringing us Danny Trejo into our cultural lexicon.

Yup.

Deathproof was a huge dissappointment to me. Planet Terror was far superior, now that's a fucking entertaining movie.

Funny, I thought deathproof was far superior to planet terror...

I look at Guy Ritchie, Robert Rodriquez and Taratino as very similar. Ritchie though basically told the same story in Snatch and Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels, after that he went more main stream with the Sherlock Holmes movies. Oddly I think he's the least talented of the three, but had the most "mainstream" success. Honestly I think Robert Rodriguez is the most talented of the three. Though he gets brownie points for bringing us Danny Trejo into our cultural lexicon.

I'm not sure Robert Rodriguez is quite the same as the other two, if Taratino is looking to do genre cinema but with smarter/deeper writing and better acting then Rodriguez is I think a more traditional pulp director with his main strength being visual originality.

Richtie for me is much more clearly following on from Tarantino but with far less talent.

I'm not sure Robert Rodriguez is quite the same as the other two, if Taratino is looking to do genre cinema but with smarter/deeper writing and better acting then Rodriguez is I think a more traditional pulp director with his main strength being visual originality.

Richtie for me is much more clearly following on from Tarantino but with far less talent.
I think Tarantino had the advantage of gaining more of a mainstream cult following than Rodriguez, but I can see where you're coming from. I still think Rodriguez has done some great stuff, I think another thing that has worked against him is he has added a little more camp to some of his stuff not taking himself as serious as Tarantino does. Listening to Tarantino talk it just seems so much like he wants to be accepted, hence when people complain about him using the N word and all I don't think it's so much him being a racist than him wanting to be accepted and feeling like "see, I'm just like you guys" he seems like the kind of guy that would walk into a party and walk up to a group of black people and just blurt out "I love black people, I mean I just love soul food, R&B, did I mention Samuel Jackson is a friend of mine? So we're cool, right?"

Funny, I thought deathproof was far superior to planet terror...
It's funny, I went in thinking Planet Terror was going to be the stronger of the two, but Deathproof ended up being the better movie. Although, I do think a lot of it was the strength of the cast as well. Kurt Russell was great as Stuntman Mike but the girls in the second half turning the tables on him was pretty awesome. I loved the one black stuntwoman "you know I gotta tap that ass one more time"

Cool as fuck characters, actors, dialogues, humor. GOAT soundtrack. The unusual way the plot develops, with the apparently unrelated stories all linking up, in an unconventional chronology. The opening scene. The ending scene. I must have watched this film over 30 times, and I like it a little more each time. True masterpiece.

I think Tarantino had the advantage of gaining more of a mainstream cult following than Rodriguez, but I can see where you're coming from. I still think Rodriguez has done some great stuff, I think another thing that has worked against him is he has added a little more camp to some of his stuff not taking himself as serious as Tarantino does. Listening to Tarantino talk it just seems so much like he wants to be accepted, hence when people complain about him using the N word and all I don't think it's so much him being a racist than him wanting to be accepted and feeling like "see, I'm just like you guys" he seems like the kind of guy that would walk into a party and walk up to a group of black people and just blurt out "I love black people, I mean I just love soul food, R&B, did I mention Samuel Jackson is a friend of mine? So we're cool, right?"

Again though I think the difference is that Tarantino helped to invent a certain kind of cinema, smartly written modern drama that makes strong references to genre cinema of the past. Rodriguez is less about taking elements from genre cinema and building them into something new as he is making the modern equivalent to it. That's why I think he took to the Grindhouse concept much more successfully, he's all about coming up with interesting new ideas for pulp cinema. QT trying to do the same thing wasn't as successful, that kind of originality isn't his strength and actually making pulp cinema was dumbing down his style.

Again though I think the difference is that Tarantino helped to invent a certain kind of cinema, smartly written modern drama that makes strong references to genre cinema of the past. Rodriguez is less about taking elements from grindhouse style cinema and building them into something new as he is making the modern equivalent to it. That's why I think he took to the Grindhouse concept much more successfully, he's all about coming up with interesting new ideas for pulp cinema. QT trying to do the same thing wasn't as successful, that kinds of originality isn't his strength and actually making pulp cinema was dumbing down his style.
I can see that, I just think it's interesting that Resevoir Dogs and El Mariachi came out the same year. So it's not like one had a leg up on the other, other than Tarantino obviously had more budget to work with.

It's just a masterpiece of cinema. Maybe the best movie soundtrack of all time. I quote lines from the movie all the time and it's almost 25 years old. The acting, the dialogue, and the way it was shot was just glorious. This will be the movie that Tarantino will be known for the day he decides to give up directing. The chemistry between Jules and Vincent, Vincent and Mia, Butch and Marcellus is damn near unmatched.

Here's my Tarantino films ranked:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Resevoir Dogs
3. Jackie Brown (his most underrated work)
4. Django Unchained
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Kill Bill Vol. 1
8. The Hateful 8
9. Death Proof

Honestly, he hasn't made a movie I disliked. Death Proof wasn't great but I still enjoyed it. Kurt Russell and some fine ass women. Can't hate on that.

Last edited:
I'd go
1. Inglourious Basterds (avatar check)
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill vol. 1
4. Jackie Brown
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Django
7. Kill Bill vol. 2
8. Hateful 8
9. Death Proof

That's in order of favourites, but in terms of quality/best film I'd probably agree with Pulp Fiction being #1.

Back