Why do you like Pulp Fiction?

It honestly kind of irks me that Gump was the best picture winner of that year. I know I shouldn't give two shits as Pulp Fiction is the one considered an all-time classic, but I just feel Pulp Fiction was clearly the best of that crop. I like Shawshank better than Gump as well.

Every single movie nominated that year was amazing. Shawshank, PF, Quiz Show, Four Weddings and a Funeral And Gump. It was a classic year for American cinema.

Imo Gump won because at the end of the day it was a heartfelt feel good movie about someone overcoming the odds life brings certain people. It wasn’t the most original, or ground breaking or most daring but it is what makes people feel good at the end of the day.

Every single movie nominated that year was amazing. Shawshank, PF, Quiz Show, Four Weddings and a Funeral And Gump. It was a classic year for American cinema.

Imo Gump won because at the end of the day it was a heartfelt feel good movie about someone overcoming the odds life brings certain people. It wasn’t the most original, or ground breaking or most daring but it is what makes people feel good at the end of the day.

You’re right. Epic year. And definitely- Gump had that feel good film appeal to it.

The funny one liners and the juxtaposition of different types of characters in the same scene.

My favorite line: "Nah, I'm pretty fucking far from alright".

The funny one liners and the juxtaposition of different types of characters in the same scene.

My favorite line: "Nah, I'm pretty fucking far from alright".
Well, he was just run over and then sodomized.

Samuel Jackson in the end of movie is cool and talk smart and I wish I am smart like him in those situations

I watched pulp fiction for the first time a few years ago. I was really excited because I heard such good things about it.

Was really disappointed tbh.
You probably just didn’t get it.

Amazing characters, actors and story.

It still annoys me that it doesnt show what the fuck is in the motherfucking briefcase
Why?
Whatever it is will never be cooler than not knowing,and it remaining a mystery.

But hes the foot fucking MASTER
I saw a gif in this thread of him doing that, I’m stepping in some hot, steaming piles before I give in to that. Just not my thang.

I saw a gif in this thread of him doing that, I’m stepping in some hot, steaming piles before I give in to that. Just not my thang.
He dont be ticklin or nothin.

I have a lot of trouble ranking his movies. Mainly I think of Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds as my top two but there is so much mobility between the other spots.

Like, for instance, I rank Django, Jackie Brown, Hateful Eight, and Reservoir Dogs so close to each other that any one of them could occupy a 3-6 spot and I wouldn't feel badly about it because I think they're all awesome. Jackie Brown probably takes the award for his most underrated. That is just an awesome movie top to bottom and, interestingly, it's probably the least Taratino-ish while still having a bunch of his sensibilities.

I think Kill Bill movies are fun but never been a huge fan. Death Proof I'd rank as his lowest. It's not without its merits (mainly anything involving Russell), but the first part with Poitier, Ferlito, Ladd, and the initial really creepy scene with Rose McGowan is so much better than the latter half stuff with the second group of girls that it feels really uneven. Also, as much as I laugh hysterically at Stuntman Mike's Looney Tunes-esque scream after he gets out of his car in pain and injured, the axe kick destruction of him seems waaay out there lol. Even for Quentin.

Death Proof also works so much better within the context of Grindhouse. Grindhouse as a theatrical experience was friggin awesome. One of my favorites from the past decade plus. The two movies, the fake trailers, just the whole vibe was great. But separate Death Proof from the (in my opinion) superior Planet Terror and the fake trailers, and it's nowhere near as good.

Personally I think part of the issue is that post Pulp Fiction he's arguably become focused more on individual scenes over films as a whole, Hateful 8 was I felt a return to building across the whole film but the Kill Bills, Ingloruious Basterds and Django definitely feel that way for me.

That might actually make for a more interesting ranking, your top 10/20 Tarantino scenes.

Last edited:
That's like saying "wow, the Terminator is a silly movie. So Kyle Reese goes back in time and sleeps with Sarah and becomes John's father? That's so cliche and overdone"

Or

"Wow. Why do people like the blair witch project? We have seen this camera point of view shit a zillion times and it is worse than a lot of ones I have seen"

When something is a trailblazer for other movies, often kids of today won't appreciate it.

I don't get all the wizard of oz hype either . Wow , a color film......big F'n deal.

I don't get all the wizard of oz hype either . Wow , a color film......big F'n deal.

In this case though really how many Tarantino like films have there been which are near to his quality? again I think it took until the McDonagh brothers arrived for someone to be working on the same kind of level.

The fact that Daniel Day Lewis petitioned hard to get the role of Vincent Vega speaks volumes about the script. And this is before anyone had ever hear of QT (minus Reservoir Dogs).

Back