Which peak LHW fighters ever you would favor over peak DC?

I'd say the toughest matches would be Machida, Shogun and Lil Nog. The former obviously having great takedown defence and dangerous kicks/knees to the body and the latter two not easy to dominate on the ground with incredible cardio. I could see for example a couple of rounds of Cormier repeatidly taking Pride era Shogun down before finally tiring and getting TKOed.

In descending order of likelihood:
1. Chuck
2. Shogun
3. Randy
4. Hendo
5. Wand

Jones is the only I'd bet against dc on.

Best chances imo otherwise would be prime rampage possibly although I still think dc could smother him. And maybe prime usada free Frank. Frank was an absolute monster late 90's but that dude was totally jacked.

No one aside Jones. Rampage would've been a good match-up. Better inside boxing with counters and power, great TDD particularly from the clinch and pretty good at getting up from the bottom. But getting up vs DC would be too tough and mess with his timing on the feet. Drain his punching power. 2 rounds for Rampage to get it done.

Chuck was among the best ever at using the fence to get up, and had the power and counters from distance to make it dangerous. But I don't see him doing well from boxing range, once DC gets past the rear straight.

No one aside Jones. Rampage would've been a good match-up. Better inside boxing with counters and power, great TDD particularly from the clinch and pretty good at getting up from the bottom. But getting up vs DC would be too tough and mess with his timing on the feet. Drain his punching power. 2 rounds for Rampage to get it done.

Chuck was among the best ever at using the fence to get up, and had the power and counters from distance to make it dangerous. But I don't see him doing well from boxing range, once DC gets past the rear straight.

The problem for Chuck would IMHO likely be cardio as we saw in the first match with Randy and Cormier would be much tougher to one punch KO than Couture was in the rematches.

The problem for Chuck would IMHO likely be cardio as we saw in the first match with Randy and Cormier would be much tougher to one punch KO than Couture was in the rematches.
he would be tougher to KO, and how many times Chuck could get up while still having energy to land big would prolly give him 2 rounds to get it done.

Off the top of my head, Randy was the best wrestler that Chuck ever fought. Maybe Tito. Cormier would dump both of them on their heads. Chuck too.
Ehh. Chuck had really good distance control and made most wrestlers scared cause of his strikes. I still favor prime chuck

Peak Liddell destroys every single lhw in UFC history .. now Liddell vs jones though would be fun but Liddell would catch jones and put him to sleep..
Peak Liddell was smashed by Rampage twice bud.

Chuck easy. I don't see D.C. Taking him down and chucks striking was legendary in his prime. D.C. Would go doen
Babalu twice, Randy Couture twice, Tito Ortiz twice, Jeremy Horn, Kevin Randleman, and MURULO BUSTEMANTE!! Chuck Liddell is SO IN THE ZONE!!

Prime Rashad would have been interesting. I think he could keep it standing and maybe outbox DC.

only the guys with HUGE KO power. MAYBE the absolute best version of Rampage that ever walked the planet. Gus on his very best day. Chuck on his very best day.

And I still wouldn't actually favor those guys to get the best of DC on any kind of regular basis. IMO, it looks pretty convincing that he's the second greatest LHW in history.

Lol at Rampage.

Dude had good TDD against the double leg, particularly against the fence.

He had embarrassingly bad TDD against good single leg attacks- AKA Cormier's go-to attack.

If you think any version of rampage keeps it standing against Cormier you're an idiot.

I think LHW of the past at peak performance could beat DC, but I would pick DC in most of those fights. Even with Chuck, its interesting. DC avoided being KOed by Rumble, so he has good striking defense. Yet it is quite possible that Chuck actually has better TDD than Rumble does, and that he could keep that fight standing long enough to catch DC.

Actually, I think Randy is the most difficult match up for DC (42 year old Randy, right around when he beat Gonzaga), really, Randy was a lot like DC in some ways. This is the only match I wouldn't really favor DC in, even though I'm not sure I would favor Randy either.

Wanderlei in Pride maybe, he was ferocious, at one point he could bulldoze anything, then later he could bulldoze very little. Rampage is another guy who could beat DC, but I would pick DC most of the time over Rampage to be honest. Even Lil Nog in Pride is interesting, with even higher level BJJ, and excellent striking.

Last edited:
I think LHW of the past at peak performance could beat DC, but I would pick DC in most of those fights. Even with Chuck, its interesting. DC avoided being KOed by Rumble, so he has good striking defense. Yet it is quite possible that Chuck actually has better TDD than Rumble does, and that he could keep that fight standing long enough to catch DC.

Actually, I think Randy is the most difficult match up for DC (42 year old Randy, right around when he beat Gonzaga), really, Randy was a lot like DC in some ways. This is the only match I wouldn't really favor DC in, even though I'm not sure I would favor Randy either.

Wanderlei in Pride maybe, he was ferocious, at one point he could bulldoze anything, then later he could bulldoze very little. Rampage is another guy who could beat DC, but I would pick DC most of the time over Rampage to be honest. Even Lil Nog in Pride is interesting, with even higher level BJJ, and excellent striking.
I think D.C. Would "hendo" Randy couture and throw him around

The key here is understanding how to hurt DC. Recall that Anderson Silva had him hurt and panic wrestling with just a good kick and knee to the body, 2 hits and DC was in trouble.

So, fighter #1, Overeem. Even at LHW he had vicious knees to the body and he wasn't easy to take down, DC would be in deep shit after eating a couple uber-knees. Next is 2005 GP Shogun, he broke Rampage's ribs with knees & body shots, and back in those days he didn't stay down when you took him down, plus he had an unlimited gas tank. Shogun at his peak was a goddamn killing machine, Jones would be the only one who could stop him back then.

Back