What's Your Next Purchase? V5

Those us optics scopes are sweet. Not something I really need but my friend has one that is mounted on some super nice custom sniper rifle he bought.

I'll get something much more powerful than I. Ormally use for my long range build but nothing like a us optics or a night force probably.

I normally go with 3-9 and 4-10 x 36-44 or so, nothing crazy.

For the new rifle I'll go with something bigger.
I want something for this Creedmoor build that tops out in the mid-20s or around 30 because I finally want to go to my local range and be like:
"Yeah, I want to use the 300 yard line please"

Only issue is even with my nice 3-9 Leupold VX-2 on my Weatherby my eyesight is so meh it's hard for me to really see the target clearly and where my shots are going.

I want something for this Creedmoor build that tops out in the mid-20s or around 30 because I finally want to go to my local range and be like:
"Yeah, I want to use the 300 yard line please"

Only issue is even with my nice 3-9 Leupold VX-2 on my Weatherby my eyesight is so meh it's hard for me to really see the target clearly and where my shots are going.

When I'm down at my dads house I have access to a private range that goes out to 800yds, hasn't an archery range and several pistol pits even though I've never seen anybody else there. It's pretty rad.

I shoot hunting rifles with standard scopes out to 300 and can usually manage 400 but i need something that it good for 600-600+ AND 8lbs all loaded out.

When I'm down at my dads house I have access to a private range that goes out to 800yds, hasn't an archery range and several pistol pits even though I've never seen anybody else there. It's pretty rad.

I shoot hunting rifles with standard scopes out to 300 and can usually manage 400 but i need something that it good for 600-600+ AND 8lbs all loaded out.
I'll admit this Creedmoor build is partially me wanting a gun that is pure fun at the range and gravel pit so weight isn't a huge issue for me.

I'll probably end up with a Nightforce of US Optics scope.

Like the ER-25 or LR-17 from US Optics or the NXS 8-32 from Nightforce

Nevermind what I said... Just looking around I am struggling to see anything that's much better about Nightforce, US, or S&B that is past optical clarity.

Think I'll just save up and grab a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP. One of the Gen 1 versions as they are some what less expensive.

The Gen 1 is also near 10 ounces lighter with 4 inches of eye relief. And is $200 less. It's just finding one with the reticle I want is a bitch and a half.

Last edited:
Weatherby is sortnof the ultimate in oonnrange hunting, have you seen the arroyo?

I have, heavy though.

Have you considered a Vanguard backcountry in 300wby? With the right ammo like Hornady 200gr eld-x, Nosler 210gr accubond long range, etc. You shouldn't have a problem taking stuff down out to 800.

Remington SPS in 300 rum and maybe cut it down 2" and add a brake.

I have, heavy though.

Have you considered a Vanguard backcountry in 300wby? With the right ammo like Hornady 200gr eld-x, Nosler 210gr accubond long range, etc. You shouldn't have a problem taking stuff down out to 800.

Remington SPS in 300 rum and maybe cut it down 2" and add a brake.
After reading I've learned that it seems those big magnum rounds past a certain point REALLY lose their "punching power" so to speak because of battling the air

Also, after more looking I think I'll be getting a Gen 1 Viper PST with MRAD adjustments. Now where to get it is the question. On OpticsPlanet for that scope it's near $1000 while Gun Broker I think has it sitting at about $700... at least right now.

Anyone have an idea for the big difference in price?

Last edited:
You can get great deals on gunbroker. Why? No idea. But most of the big sellers on gunbroker are brick and mortar firearms stores, and thus far every single thing I've ordered from those types of sellers (ones with over 1000 reviews) have been brand new and in perfect condition. Depending on the item I usually see about 20% savings on gunbroker.

Opticsplanet is not always the best price, and they definitely have kicked their prices up in the past to make DVOR deals look better.

You can get great deals on gunbroker. Why? No idea. But most of the big sellers on gunbroker are brick and mortar firearms stores, and thus far every single thing I've ordered from those types of sellers (ones with over 1000 reviews) have been brand new and in perfect condition. Depending on the item I usually see about 20% savings on gunbroker.

Opticsplanet is not always the best price, and they definitely have kicked their prices up in the past to make DVOR deals look better.
Think I might make my optic purchase through them then.

Optics planet (I've been told) dosent keep much inventory, it's almost s go between. You order something and they order it from the company.

I've had nothing. It success with gunbroker, I buy most of my guns there.

Optics planet (I've been told) dosent keep much inventory, it's almost s go between. You order something and they order it from the company.

Kinda have my set up in mind.. now it's just a matter of getting everything together:
- Rem 700 SA
- X-Caliber 6.5 Creedmoor barrel (22 inch)
- Ergo deluxe grip
- Magpul CTR stock with hat Magpul cheek riser
- Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with Mil based reticle and adjustments
- Precision Armament M11 Brake

If Donald Trump is willing to gift me about $3000 just for shitsngiggles I'd be down with that

Trying to sell my Viper scope. It's the base one and has mil-dot reticle with MOA adjustments. Damnit Vortex.

I've bought one through there and have put a few up for sale . . . never sold one though. The gunbroker fees are ridiculous. I'm not sure how any dealer makes any real money using the service. Unless they're buying through the dealer promotions where you buy so many and get one similar item for free.

Being home-based I don't keep much inventory on hand and have actually thought about focusing on some of the non-FFL parts and accessories just to remove the transfer requirement and mail stuff directly to customers.

Being home-based I don't keep much inventory on hand and have actually thought about focusing on some of the non-FFL parts and accessories just to remove the transfer requirement and mail stuff directly to customers.
Speaking of......

Do you think there's any chance (not right this instant since I can't afford it) you could get a Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with mil adjustments and a mil based reticle?

Speaking of......

Do you think there's any chance (not right this instant since I can't afford it) you could get a Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with mil adjustments and a mil based reticle?

I can definitely check on that and let you know . . .

Back