What am I missing when it comes to Zelda?

So, what aren't you gettting? Well... Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. But itis deserving of the high scores, from what little I've played and the few opinions I've formed on the game so far.

You saw my breakdown...what I'm saying is there is nothing that stands out about the series. Other franchises do things better on many fronts.

yeah not everybody is going to like/LOVE "something" even if its heralded as being great. people don't like uncharted series or Last of Us which blows my mind but whatever.. it's not your brand of vodka. I don't like the batman or GTA game series but tons of people love it. if you don't get it or the doesn't feel right then oh well. it's not for u.

Uncharted feels sterile and bland.

Thanks for making this post, i don't understand either honestly.

Perfect 10's all of the place and for what?

It looks like a standard open world RPG, i see nothing story wise, gameplay wise etc that one ups even Skyrim from several years ago, or Witcher 3 which i don't even like.

I swear because its Zelda, it just gets higher praise because of nostalgia.

It looks like a fun game, but perfect? And when i watch the gameplay I'm asking myself the same question like why are people making such a huge fuss over this? I'm guessing because its just been so long people have been waiting for it that's why its so hyped, but if the game were called something else it wouldn't get half the attention imo.

Because all those tens on Metacritic...
You are just trying to prop up and defend your purchase on a console with one game. I get that, if i spent $400 for one game i'd be defending that shit too

I'm buying a console for just this one game.

Zelda games are well made and fun, that's the draw. Some people don't find them fun, that's okay too. Huge LOL's though at envious poor people counting another man's money.

You are just trying to prop up and defend your purchase on a console with one game. I get that, if i spent $400 for one game i'd be defending that shit too

I have three games on it, I don't have a Wii U and I want to play Zelda.

And even if it were just Zelda yeah I'd pay 400 to play that now and whatever else comes in the future so fuck off already. And speak when spoken to because I didn't address you.

Last edited:
Thanks for making this post, i don't understand either honestly.

Perfect 10's all of the place and for what?

It looks like a standard open world RPG, i see nothing story wise, gameplay wise etc that one ups even Skyrim from several years ago, or Witcher 3 which i don't even like.

I swear because its Zelda, it just gets higher praise because of nostalgia.

It looks like a fun game, but perfect? And when i watch the gameplay I'm asking myself the same question like why are people making such a huge fuss over this? I'm guessing because its just been so long people have been waiting for it that's why its so hyped, but if the game were called something else it wouldn't get half the attention imo.

The witcher 3 is just different the dungeons aren't as elaborate and don't involve the puzzels that zelda includes. The closest games I can think of that come close to Zelda are the Tomb raider and Uncarted games. Even then they don't quite do it like Zelda does.

I've never been in the Zelda games and have never beaten any of them. I just got OOT for the 3DS, and it's fun, but there are those moments i'm running around like an idiot not knowing what to do. It discourages me and I get bored and put it down after a while.

I'd like to get a Switch, and love the reviews BOTW has been getting, but I'm afraid I won't really be into it.

That's what ultimately killed me off and still does in other games.

Look, i like an open world and i like shit to do, but its gotta have a real pay off, meaning, its either really fun, or you get something that makes doing the story easier when shit gets tough. Typically though, i do mot want to spend a shit load of time doing it.

Ocarina of Time had some extras. I can't remember most of them but i remember fishing a lot. It took forever or immediately to get a big fish. Seemed like luck.

The other thing was getting the pony. You fucking had to get it, but getting it was a bitch.

Maybe the rpg is what im missing, even tho i didnt buy into it when adventure of link first came out.
I ponder this cuz i can play final fantasy 8-10, and they're giant as all hell, but i never mind playing them for hours and always go back.

The witcher 3 is just different the dungeons aren't as elaborate and don't involve the puzzels that zelda includes. The closest games I can think of that come close to Zelda are the Tomb raider and Uncarted games. Even then they don't quite do it like Zelda does.
Haha to me Zelda looks really generic but to each their own.

You saw my breakdown...what I'm saying is there is nothing that stands out about the series. Other franchises do things better on many fronts.
I'm not far enough in to give it a __/10 score. But it looks lovely, the music is great, and I'm having fun with teh little bit of game play I got it last night. It's easy to say, "Other games do (certain thing here) better," but if you haven't played BotW yet, how would you even know? and like I said, most of your points are subjective: story, art direction, music, etc, how you feel about these things are simply your opinion, and and an unpopular one at that. You're neither right, nor wrong, concerning those things. I agree that a full fledged RPG such as Final Fantasy will have more RPG elements--TLoZ games are action adventure games, so of course it will be lighter on the story and role playing aspects. BotW is changing that a bit by adding in dialogue(FOR LINK!!!!).

Anyway, I can't say whether or not its a 10/10, but it for damn sure is a well made game and is deserving of the high scores and praise it is receiving.

I know your question referenced TLoZ games in general, but I'm talking about BotW specifically. I've only ever played completely through OOT, by the way, so I'm not some huge Zelda fan.

If anyone takes the time to review any posts you've ever made about the Xbox 1 around release, they'll get quite the giggle out of this post.

I have three games on it, I don't have a Wii U and I want to play Zelda.

And even if it were just Zelda yeah I'd pay 400 to play that now and whatever else comes in the future so fuck off already. And speak when spoken to because I didn't address you.
Its okay dude we've all had buyers remorse before don't let it get to you so much.

Haha to me Zelda looks really generic but to each their own.

In a way it is. It's not ever really doing anything new or innovative. I think the best way to describe it is like World of Warcraft. WOW was an MMO that never did anything new and pretty much took all it's ideas from the several MMO's that came before it. What it did right though was just make combine all those MMO's into one great game. That's similar to Zelda. It's just a good game, the world is great, it's fun to explore and use all the tools, etc.

If anyone takes the time to review any posts you've ever made about the Xbox 1 around release, they'll get quite the giggle out of this post.
Didn't i say that in my post? I wasn't being sarastic, to be fair both PS4/X1 had more than a single game at release, which is kind of my point.

In a way it is. It's not ever really doing anything new or innovative. I think the best way to describe it is like World of Warcraft. WOW was an MMO that never did anything new and pretty much took all it's ideas from the several MMO's that came before it. What it did right though was just make combine all those MMO's into one great game. That's similar to Zelda. It's just a good game, the world is great, it's fun to explore and use all the tools, etc.
Yeah i mean the art style of the game is one thing that draws me in, i also think the way you always have to find new weapons is cool and unique, just overall when i watch it I'm like meh.

Yeah i mean the art style of the game is one thing that draws me in, i also think the way you always have to find new weapons is cool and unique, just overall when i watch it I'm like meh.

I can understand. Honestly watching a lot of the videos that I've seen it looks boring as hell. They are just showing Zelda move around through the world. Would have been better to show some Dungeons and boss battles (they also do boss battles well). It's only because I've played the other Zelda games that I know it's more then just walking around and flying around.

It's the combination of puzzles, nostalgia, exploration, and combat that keep people coming back to the franchise.

I think the reason for the newest Zelda getting so much praise is the subtlety and openness of the game. Wind strength and direction can affect your arrows and fire. You can't wear metal in a thunderstorm. Your enemies can use a fallen tree branch or your own weapon against you. Just dealing with the environment alone is a challenge, even without enemies. You have a vast array of options for dealing with enemies (take out from a distance, hack n slash, use environmental hazards). You can also take out enemies that are way stronger than you by taking inventive approaches rather than direct conflict. So the difficulty is scalable depending on the player, their creativity, and the unique environment in the situation.

I've only played the game once so far and watched a few different streams, and I quickly picked up on what makes this game standout. There's a reason it's getting 10/10 across the board. The last few Zelda's in the franchise didn't do nearly as well.

I can understand. Honestly watching a lot of the videos that I've seen it looks boring as hell. They are just showing Zelda move around through the world. Would have been better to show some Dungeons and boss battles (they also do boss battles well). It's only because I've played the other Zelda games that I know it's more then just walking around and flying around.
Yeah the actual running around aimlessly is what I've seen the most, some of those dungeons with bosses/puzzles do look cool for sure.

If Mario turns out to be as good as it looks and there are 2-3 other great exclusives by then I'm gonna pick one up. Just can't justify it right now considering I'm not a huge Zelda fan, i mean i liked the ones on N64 but haven't played any of the Wii/Gamecube ones.

I think it's a series where the whole is the better then the sum of its parts. It's not a perfect game in all areas but they are just high quality in all aspects, that they are considered legendary.

Yeah the actual running around aimlessly is what I've seen the most, some of those dungeons with bosses/puzzles do look cool for sure.

If Mario turns out to be as good as it looks and there are 2-3 other great exclusives by then I'm gonna pick one up. Just can't justify it right now considering I'm not a huge Zelda fan, i mean i liked the ones on N64 but haven't played any of the Wii/Gamecube ones.

Not sure how this new mario will be. I just took a look at it today. I don't like this mario in the city type stuff. The thing I always enjoyed about Mario was the unique worlds they always had. Still looks like they have that too so I hope the city stuff I saw is just a small part of the game.

Back