What am I missing when it comes to Zelda?

Didn't i say that in my post? I wasn't being sarastic, to be fair both PS4/X1 had more than a single game at release, which is kind of my point.

PS4 had shit games for launch, but I still bought it at launch because I could. Took 6+ months before good games started coming out for it.

Not sure how this new mario will be. I just took a look at it today. I don't like this mario in the city type stuff. The thing I always enjoyed about Mario was the unique worlds they always had. Still looks like they have that too so I hope the city stuff I saw is just a small part of the game.
That part of it definitely looks odd, but the rest of the environments looked pretty cool, will have to wait and see.

PS4 had shit games for launch, but I still bought it at launch because I could. Took 6+ months before good games started coming out for it.
It had games though, Killzone, Knack, Call of Duty, NBA, Madden, Assasin's creed etc and a bunch of indies too.

Switch has Zelda, and overpriced Bomberman

Didn't i say that in my post? I wasn't being sarastic, to be fair both PS4/X1 had more than a single game at release, which is kind of my point.
Saying there is only one game is being dishonest. There is one game with a lot of hype around it. But in fact there were 21 games at release, in the West. I think that is right around the number that X1 and PS4 had, each. X1 had Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct, PS4 had Killzone and Warframe. Switch has Zelda.

I don't have and wont buy a Switch for a while. There is a theory that the Switch will also be, in addition to a home console and portable console, a VR and AR machine as well. I'll probably buy one when New Fire Emblem and SMT 5 release for it, but we'll see. I'm my PC and 3DS, and I'm contemplating picking up a PS4 soon for the fantastic games that have been dropping lately. I'm saying all this so that it's clear I have no horse in this race.

Nintendo Switch launch games
For UK prices, consult our eShop games and prices news story.

US only:

PS4 launch titles
Angry Birds Star Wars [2] Rovio Retail
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag [3] Ubisoft Retail
Battlefield 4 [4] DICE Retail
Blacklight: Retribution (Beta) [5] Zombie Studios PSN / F2P
Call of Duty: Ghosts* Infinity Ward Retail
Contrast [6] Compulsion Games PSN / PS+
DC Universe Online* Sony Online Entertainment PSN / F2P
DiveKick [7] One True Game Studios PSN
FIFA 14* EA Sports Retail
Flower (Cross-Buy) [8] ThatGameCompany PSN
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition [9] NetherRealm Studios Retail
Just Dance 2014 [10] Ubisoft Retail
Killzone Shadow Fall [11] Guerilla Games Retail
Knack [12]
SCE Japan Studio Retail
LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes* TT Games Retail
Madden NFL 25* EA Sports Retail
NBA 2K14* Visual Concepts Retail
NBA Live 14* EA Sports Retail
Need for Speed: Rivals [13] Ghost, Criterion Retail
PlayRoom [14] Sony Pack-in
Resogun [15] Housemarque PSN / PS+
Skylanders Swap Force* Vicarious Visions Retail
Sound Shapes (Cross-Buy) [16] Queasy Games PSN
Super Motherload [17] XGen Studios PSN
Trine 2: The Complete Story [18] Frozenbyte PSN
Warframe [19]
Xbox 1 Launch Titles
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
  • Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
  • Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)
  • Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
  • Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
  • NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
  • Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoe Mode, Majesco)

Saying there is only one game is being dishonest. There is one game with a lot of hype around it. But in fact there were 21 games at release, in the West. I think that is right around the number that X1 and PS4 had, each. X1 had Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct, PS4 had Killzone and Warframe. Switch has Zelda.

I don't have and wont buy a Switch for a while. There is a theory that the Switch will also be, in addition to a home console and portable console, a VR and AR machine as well. I'll probably buy one when New Fire Emblem and SMT 5 release for it, but we'll see. I'm my PC and 3DS, and I'm contemplating picking up a PS4 soon for the fantastic games that have been dropping lately. I'm saying all this so that it's clear I have no horse in this race.
Number of actual games you have a point, but lets be honest a lot of those Switch games are shovelware shit or ports of super old classics, I'm talking physical release of triple a quality.

And I'll give you this that Zelda might be the actual best launch game ever, most of the exclusives for both x1 and PS4 were bad (although DR3 was good imo) so the Switch definitely has that.

I'm just shocked that the lineup when you get down to it is so sparse, like why didn't it get Mass Effect which comes out in a few weeks? Or Ghost Recon? Surely it could run those games at lower settings than the other consoles.

The wiiu at least had ports of Madden and Call of Duty, It just doesn't look good at all for 3rd party support which i think most Nintendo fans don't care about but it does matter since that basically limits you to wait for exclusives to come out if you want something to play on it.

I'm not even saying i like the typical Assasin's Creed, Madden's or Cods but if its not getting the popular 3rd parties like that it worries me.

Quality over quantity i guess, bu i think the launch games of the other systems were still overall much better and had much more variety.

It had games though, Killzone, Knack, Call of Duty, NBA, Madden, Assasin's creed etc and a bunch of indies too.

Oh trust me I bought some of those games because I was desperate to play some games, but they were not that good, especially when compared to the XB1 launch games. I also got an XB1 at launch.

Uncharted feels sterile and bland.

I enjoyed the series.

But it's all opinions u see. Different strokes for different people.

But as I am playing Zelda right now games like unchartered, witcher 3, skyrim all seem bland to me right now. It's just not as mentally stimulating. With Zelda I could be stuck in a village trying to figure out this riddle and when I do it's really satisfying. Or try to beat a group of monsters in a different way. Shall I sneak up on them through the tall weekday and tenchu every one of these bitches, hit a red barrel and send them to the moon, hit n retreat with bombs, or charge head along kamikaze style? U can hoard/farm items so u can make different foods to heal or boost stats for unique situations (fight, climb swim whatever). There is way too much things to do with this game and it's all fun.

I enjoyed the series.

But it's all opinions u see. Different strokes for different people.

But as I am playing Zelda right now games like unchartered, witcher 3, skyrim all seem bland to me right now. It's just not as mentally stimulating. With Zelda I could be stuck in a village trying to figure out this riddle and when I do it's really satisfying. Or try to beat a group of monsters in a different way. Shall I sneak up on them through the tall weekday and tenchu every one of these bitches, hit a red barrel and send them to the moon, hit n retreat with bombs, or charge head along kamikaze style? U can hoard/farm items so u can make different foods to heal or boost stats for unique situations (fight, climb swim whatever). There is way too much things to do with this game and it's all fun.

Correct, they had that in Metal Gear Solid 2 back in 2001 tho. Do I knock on the door, hide in a locker, then sneak up behind him when he wonders what that noise was? Or Grand Theft Auto (any). Or Skyrim/Oblivion. And some of these games the story, or customization, or graphics trumped Botw's...and the sense of exploration has been around before with the likes of old games like Shadow of the Colossus, with enemy scale unseen before. Sure the world is more alive, but this is a natural trend in gaming that worlds feel more alive as time goes on because the technology to support this sort of thing is increasingly there.

Yeah i mean the art style of the game is one thing that draws me in, i also think the way you always have to find new weapons is cool and unique, just overall when i watch it I'm like meh.

I can get that. At the same time, there's plenty of games that I love to play that are boring as hell to watch other people play.

Number of actual games you have a point, but lets be honest a lot of those Switch games are shovelware shit or ports of super old classics, I'm talking physical release of triple a quality.

And I'll give you this that Zelda might be the actual best launch game ever, most of the exclusives for both x1 and PS4 were bad (although DR3 was good imo) so the Switch definitely has that.

I'm just shocked that the lineup when you get down to it is so sparse, like why didn't it get Mass Effect which comes out in a few weeks? Or Ghost Recon? Surely it could run those games at lower settings than the other consoles.

The wiiu at least had ports of Madden and Call of Duty, It just doesn't look good at all for 3rd party support which i think most Nintendo fans don't care about but it does matter since that basically limits you to wait for exclusives to come out if you want something to play on it.

I'm not even saying i like the typical Assasin's Creed, Madden's or Cods but if its not getting the popular 3rd parties like that it worries me.

Quality over quantity i guess, bu i think the launch games of the other systems were still overall much better and had much more variety.
I don't disagree about the quality of the games. I'd literally only play, other than Zelda, Bomberman. But not at 60$. And looking back, the X1/PS4 had sports games as well as the CoD and Battlefield ports too. And to be fair, Zelda also released for Wii U. I do have hope that the system will kick ass and get loads of fun games. This year's line up actually looks solid.

I can get that. At the same time, there's plenty of games that I love to play that are boring as hell to watch other people play.
True, i guess i was just extra critical seeing all the perfect 10's its getting I'm asking if i missed something.

I don't disagree about the quality of the games. I'd literally only play, other than Zelda, Bomberman. But not at 60$. And looking back, the X1/PS4 had sports games as well as the CoD and Battlefield ports too. And to be fair, Zelda also released for Wii U. I do have hope that the system will kick ass and get loads of fun games. This year's line up actually looks solid.
Yeah i think it will do well initially because of the hype, then might slow down a bit until some bigger games come out.

When Mario, MK8 (never played on Wiiu) and say Splatoon are all out along with Zelda that will be the time I'll pick one up. I just wish the dock didn't look so cheap since i mainly will use it as a home console, i think as long as you get a screen protector (which tbh everyone should) you'll be fine.

One nice thing i just learned that i didn't even think about before is yeah it has only like 26 gigs of storage available to use, but unlinke the PS4/X1 you don't have to install every game to the hard drive so that saves it a bit IMO. I have a 2tb Xbox One S and having 46 physical games i don't like having them all installed at once because that's just ridiculous so usually have about 10 at a time.

True, i guess i was just extra critical seeing all the perfect 10's its getting I'm asking if i missed something.

I'm still skeptical about it being "perfect" myself, but i give it high marks so far. The actual gameplay experience is rewarding and definitely a huge step forward for the series. Things I thought would be annoying are actually a lot of fun in practice.

I wouldn't tell anyone to buy a Switch for it. But if you own a WiiU it's a must have imo.

Why don't they port over Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby, and others to bulk up the list a bit?

Also, They NEED a new Metroid game.

I had actually never played a Zelda game until about 10 years ago when I bought the game that came out for the Nintendo DS. And it was awesome. It was super fun and super polished. A coworker just brought his Nintendo Switch to work today and showed me the new Zelda game and it looks great. I think the way Nintendo makes the most out of their relatively limited hardware specs and delivers very polished gaming experiences is amazing.

Oh no - I don't pay any attention to the USER reviews. Those fuckers will rate it a zero if they hate a system and a 10 simply because they're fanboys. But that doesn't mean people don't actually like it or are justifying it or whatever. I'm referring more to IGN, Gamespot etc. I think it's safe to assume they finished it.

What big title doesn't have over hype? I'm the biggest GTA fan I know, and whie it delivers, yeah it can be overhyped. Dark Souls 3 was overhyped. Good? Sure. I still play. But it was overhyped. Sure, lasting appeal matters but you can say that about any game. Zelda games have had lasting appeal. Why do you think people still play Ocarina of Time?

Since when was IGN and Gamespot scores something to actually go by? They give every Call Of Duty a great score and I'm supposed to think their opinion on Zelda matters?

Your confusing overhype with overhype because there's only one game to play.. There's a big difference here. Zelda fan boys is pretty much what it is.

if you read any of those critic reviews, most of them have not beaten the game but they're already racked in 50+ hours and they're all having a blast playing the game. Basically the journey undertaken in the game has already warranted a perfect grade and that's completely understandable to me.

PS - oh yeah.. only critic reviews.. user reviews??? yeah right.. all of them should be taken with a grain of salt. especially 1-3 days after release.. maybe for an easy fast game but not this long epic game. GTFO...

Says the guy who claimed it was the best game you ever played 3 hours into it.... You've proved my point that this overhype is because of Zelda fan boys.

Go be Nintendo police somewhere else you goof

I had actually never played a Zelda game until about 10 years ago when I bought the game that came out for the Nintendo DS. And it was awesome. It was super fun and super polished. A coworker just brought his Nintendo Switch to work today and showed me the new Zelda game and it looks great. I think the way Nintendo makes the most out of their relatively limited hardware specs and delivers very polished gaming experiences is amazing.
Ask your friend if he'll give his to me. Tell him we are sherbros, he'll do that shit.

Back