What am I missing when it comes to Zelda?

Squall Leonhart

SeeD Commander
@Brown
Reaction score
As a long time gamer and HUGE Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Super Mario, etc. fan, I've never understood what makes Zelda games so highly-reviewed. Is it the balance of all the elements below?

Visuals: They aren't traditionally the ABSOLUTE best of their time, but they are good
Story: Vague with little dialogue until now
RPG Elements: Basic compared to the likes of Final Fantasy or other JRPGs
Platform Elements: Basic compared to Super Mario
Adventure Elements: As good as pretty much any game, but not better then the best of other games
Art Style: Good, but we've seen elvish types in other games/media
Music: Very good, but there are other franchises known for even better music

What am I missing? I am not trolling int he least, and I've played a few of these games in the past, but I don't quite get the same feelz as some reviewers

No game is going to be for everyone.

Zelda was originally ground breaking. There was nothing like that game at the time. It was probably the first game that felt like there was a real world to explore and a multitude of secrets just waiting to be found. On top of that it was flat out fun.

At the end of the day the games are just very accessible, fun, and deep at times. They have always done a great job of creating this world that is fun to explore with equal parts puzzle and gameplay.

In terms of how they get perfect scores...there is just nothing really wrong with them at all. Visuals, gameplay, performance, fun factor, longevity, etc... you can't really pick any aspect and say it's mediocre. I think that's how they get such high scores.

For me personally I'd say Breath of the Wild probably deserves the 10/10 but it is nowhere near my favorite game. It's not even my favorite game this year, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a perfect score.

As a long time gamer and HUGE Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Super Mario, etc. fan, I've never understood what makes Zelda games so highly-reviewed. Is it the balance of all the elements below?

Visuals: They aren't traditionally the ABSOLUTE best of their time, but they are good
Story: Vague with little dialogue until now
RPG Elements: Basic compared to the likes of Final Fantasy or other JRPGs
Platform Elements: Basic compared to Super Mario
Adventure Elements: As good as pretty much any game, but not better then the best of other games
Art Style: Good, but we've seen elvish types in other games/media
Music: Very good, but there are other franchises known for even better music

What am I missing? I am not trolling int he least, and I've played a few of these games in the past, but I don't quite get the same feelz as some reviewers

I'm in the same boat as you. I've never understood the crazy praise the franchise receives. The game play is good, but not all that special. I don't see how it does anything better than other games of the same makeup. Besides that though, I don't see what is so amazing about anything. The sound, graphics, level design, etc, are all fine, but I'll never understand what takes this series to that next level.

Last one I played was "Skyward Sword", and that game got a healthy amount of 10/10's. The game was a fucking chore, and got away with shit other games would not be let off the hook for. For instance, the first six or seven hours of a goddamn game, where nothing happens, and you're tediously trying to get past this incredibly long and boring intro/tutorial section. The controls were shit. The pacing was shit. The story was shit. The game doesn't resemble anything remotely close to a perfect game, but it got that same Zelda praise for...reasons.

Don't understand it.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've never understood the crazy praise the franchise receives. The game play is good, but not all that special. I don't see how it does anything better than other games of the same makeup. Besides that though, I don't see what is so amazing about anything. The sound, graphics, level design, etc, are all fine, but I'll never understand what takes this series to that next level.

Last one I played was "Skyward Sword", and that game got a healthy amount of 10/10's. The game was a fucking chore, and got away with shit other games would not be let off the hook for. For instance, the first six or seven hours of a goddamn game, where nothing happens, and you're tediously trying to get past this incredibly long and boring intro/tutorial section. The controls were shit. The pacing was shit. The story was shit. The game doesn't resemble anything remotely close to a perfect game, but it got that same Zelda praise for...reasons.

Don't understand it.

I agree. I see it as a jack of all trades game. You don't get the depth of Final Fantasy. You don't get the platformer in a Mario game. They often reuse maps from game to game (see A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds) and the graphics are not mind blowing.

You just don't like it. No big deal. I think Mass Effect is a bore but that's just me.

I agree. I see it as a jack of all trades game. You don't get the depth of Final Fantasy. You don't get the platformer in a Mario game. They often reuse maps from game to game (see A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds) and the graphics are not mind blowing.

They use the same map because it's the same exact world. Link Between worlds is a direct sequel to A Link to the Past.

If you're a big fan of all those series you listed, then the Zelda franchise should be right up your alley. It seems like it just doesn't click with you, which is fine. Not everyone has to like the same things. IMO the series has had better music than any other series, and constantly make memorable worlds and characters. It also gets the best of multiple genres. The adventuring aspect is always great.

Agreed, after watching a bunch of videos and streams of this game, I have to ask what's the big fucking deal? Seems really boring.

Nintendo console buyers are forced to overhype Zelda because that's all they got.

I think you needed to play them when they came out to really have respect for the series. Zelda, LTTP, and OOT were all amongst the best games ever created when they released. I think the series has been riding off the glory of those 3 titles for awhile. I can't really comment because I haven't played any of the Zelda's after MM.

I also own an Xbone and PS4 and am playing amazing games like Nioh and Horizon. In fact, if I'm playing those two and STILL think Zelda is amazing despite that, that's even more of a testament to how good it is.

I'm certainly not overhyping anything because it's "all I have", lol.

A lot of players grew up on Zelda during the golden age of gaming during the 80s-early 90s. Back then, there weren't millions of games out there; folks usually had just one system that they played for a long time. It's a nostalgia thing. Also, the story is epic: elements of previous games are in the new ones, so there's the continuity thing.

It's the only real game out for the Switch. People have to justify it to themselves so they overrate it.

yeah not everybody is going to like/LOVE "something" even if its heralded as being great. people don't like uncharted series or Last of Us which blows my mind but whatever.. it's not your brand of vodka. I don't like the batman or GTA game series but tons of people love it. if you don't get it or the doesn't feel right then oh well. it's not for u.

Because all those tens on Metacritic...

Did all those people really beat the game already? I'm not sure how anyone can rate a game especially 10/10 when they're still playing through it. Lasting appeal matters.

There's definitely over hype going on right now. The console and game just came out days ago, of course you're going to be playing it over other games you've been already playing for a bit.

I also own an Xbone and PS4 and am playing amazing games like Nioh and Horizon. In fact, if I'm playing those two and STILL think Zelda is amazing despite that, that's even more of a testament to how good it is.

I'm certainly not overhyping anything because it's "all I have", lol.

yeah it's certainly confusing to me. As if we don't play anything but Nintendo games? lol.

I haven't touched a Nintendo game since early/middle life cycle of Wii (and that was with wii sports and Twilight Princess).

Since then its been a steady diet of Playstation 3/4, PC and a sprinkle of Xbox 360 games. But apparently if we think the new Zelda game is damn near or even perfect it is because we need to justify our purchase? I brought my switch to work in hopes of playing it during lunch. it's fukkin addictive. my buddy is playing it at work because he has an office and can close his door (asshole). everyone I know so far who's playing it is addicted to it. like I said.. if u get it u get it.

Did all those people really beat the game already? I'm not sure how anyone can rate a game especially 10/10 when they're still playing through it. Lasting appeal matters.

There's definitely over hype going on right now. The console and game just came out a week ago, of course you're going to be playing it over other games you've been already playing for a bit.

Oh no - I don't pay any attention to the USER reviews. Those fuckers will rate it a zero if they hate a system and a 10 simply because they're fanboys. But that doesn't mean people don't actually like it or are justifying it or whatever. I'm referring more to IGN, Gamespot etc. I think it's safe to assume they finished it.

What big title doesn't have over hype? I'm the biggest GTA fan I know, and whie it delivers, yeah it can be overhyped. Dark Souls 3 was overhyped. Good? Sure. I still play. But it was overhyped. Sure, lasting appeal matters but you can say that about any game. Zelda games have had lasting appeal. Why do you think people still play Ocarina of Time?

There's definitely over hype going on right now. The console and game just came out days ago, of course you're going to be playing it over other games you've been already playing for a bit.

if you read any of those critic reviews, most of them have not beaten the game but they're already racked in 50+ hours and they're all having a blast playing the game. Basically the journey undertaken in the game has already warranted a perfect grade and that's completely understandable to me.

PS - oh yeah.. only critic reviews.. user reviews??? yeah right.. all of them should be taken with a grain of salt. especially 1-3 days after release.. maybe for an easy fast game but not this long epic game. GTFO...

Zelda II is still challenging as hell even today, and it's a fun and rewarding game. I'd say it's underrated.

Link to the Past was the first Zelda game I've played, and it's one of my all-time favorite games.

Majora's Mask has the Bill Murray Groundhog Day time effect which I think is a very unique and cool approach to a video game. People praise Ocarina of Time (which is great) but I've always liked Majora's Mask more.

I dunno, dude. I think Zelda games are pretty fun. I guess they're just not your thing.

Zelda was awesome when I was a kid. I have not been able to get into it since the N64 days.

Back