WESTWORLD Season 2

I don't think this show has fallen off like others, but goddamn this show is reaching absurd levels of treating the hosts as a threat. I fucking died laughing when an 1800's rifle penetrated a futuristic bulletproof vest. How the fuck does that work? Aren't these dummy bullets? Why are guns in this show so contradicting?

Also, this show hasn't given an explanation why the humans can't roll up with drones, tanks, and helicopters and obliterate everything. Shouldn't that be a contingency plan?

My exact thought while watch the "battle" scene. Why are dude with p90 just casually walking up to the fort firing from the hip? Why can Delores casually take multiple gun shots without any effect? No other host can do that. Nothing in this show makes any damn sense any more.

I think one of the big reveal this season will be that the MIB isnt human. We have already been getting hints. This game is for you .... him picking bullets out of his arm ... surviving the last episode in season 1. His game is to realize he is not human.

But then why go through all that when he was young? Did Anthony Hopkins character plant him as a mole in the outside world?

Binged through Season 1 this week and got caught up.

I like the premise that humans spent all this time trying to create AI robotic technology and the main thing we use it for is to rape the robots lol

Binged through Season 1 this week and got caught up.

I like the premise that humans spent all this time trying to create AI robotic technology and the main thing we use it for is to rape the robots lol

Considering that the park is a free for all, with no consequences, it's shocking at how little robot rape is going on.

I always thought it was bullshit how the park is portrayed. If it truly was this no holds barred place, where anything goes, and the robots were just there for you to do what ever the fuck you wanted to do to them, the place would devolve into pure fucking chaos and debauchery within an hour of the first guests arriving on opening day.

There would be no "games", or treasure hunts, or whatever that people would "play along" with. People would just be experimenting with these robots, and see how far they could go. They wouldn't be able to replace the damaged robots fast enough. That park would close down faster than the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Did they ever explain this?

It seems pretty risky. Like, what if a guest just got caught in the crossfire, when the hosts were firing lethal rounds at each other? Also, doesn't the scene at the beginning of this past episode imply that the guns just aren't lethal to humans? Or maybe the chick that got mauled was actually a host?

Ugh, I'm so confused.

And in season one you saw guests kill hosts via stabbing, smashing their heads in with rocks and various other methods besides using a gun. So it would be inevitable that a guest would be mistaken for a host and killed in this manner. Now this was something I was willing to overlook as the rest of the show was more than good enough to make up for the odd glaring hole. But season two has gone completely over the edge and I hate to say this as I had high hopes, but it just isn't very good.

And in season one you saw guests kill hosts via stabbing, smashing their heads in with rocks and various other methods besides using a gun. So it would be inevitable that a guest would be mistaken for a host and killed in this manner. Now this was something I was willing to overlook as the rest of the show was more than good enough to make up for the odd glaring hole. But season two has gone completely over the edge and I hate to say this as I had high hopes, but it just isn't very good.

Yeah, I talked about these issues at length during the first season. Another thing that got to me over time, was why the guests were ever afraid, or vulnerable at any time before the robots snapped. I think there's like two or three episodes where Ed Harris is captured, tied up, beaten and held hostage, and I'm thinking "How is this even possible?" The robots are programmed not to hurt humans, but now they're beating the fuck out of Ed Harris? The guy who has been exploiting the robots' lack of power the most, and has been massacring them for decades. Now they're just beating him up because...? He's not doing anything to fight back...why? It doesn't make any damn sense.

It's those type of moments that took me out of the series. Another one is why those two idiotic scientist guys helped Thandie Newton's character in the first place. Oh', she's becoming self aware and blackmailing you? Oh', well then just destroy her CPU, reprogram her, or cut her fucking head off and toss it in a bonfire somewhere. They're already working behind everyone's back, so I'm sure they could've figured out a solution to their problem, rather than giving into her demands.

I'm not feeling this shit. I'll still watch, but season 1 had the IT factor.

But then why go through all that when he was young? Did Anthony Hopkins character plant him as a mole in the outside world?

He was human at one point ... he isn't in the timeline where he is playing the game that is for him.

I was really disappointed by the last couple of episodes. The dragon tattoo lady coming back killed the moment from the season finale.

this season is less interesting , I will stop watching for now and maybe binge watch it later. the only hbo shows that still keep me interested are barry/silicon valley even if silicon valley is redundant it is still funny.

I'm not so bothered by the middling details of the technology, but the show has lost it's what made it interesting. There's no mystery anymore, it's just a straight up AI revolution now and it feels so cliche. Season 1 was theorizing bicameral minds, what it means to be self aware, the morality of total freedom, and what makes something human.

This season is just pew pew, revenge plot, take over the world! Which doesn't make for a bad show, but it's not what I'm watching for.

I'm hoping there's some twist or deeper level I'm missing here, but if there is the show has been doing a terrible job of hinting at it.

I'm hoping that a lot of what they're doing now is sewing seeds for future payoffs. It's been a little underwhelming so far. I did like the first season a lot though, so I'll stick this one out.

I still think there is a lot of potential in the show once they start cloning humans in positions of power and putting them in the real world.

Yeah, I talked about these issues at length during the first season. Another thing that got to me over time, was why the guests were ever afraid, or vulnerable at any time before the robots snapped. I think there's like two or three episodes where Ed Harris is captured, tied up, beaten and held hostage, and I'm thinking "How is this even possible?" The robots are programmed not to hurt humans, but now they're beating the fuck out of Ed Harris? The guy who has been exploiting the robots' lack of power the most, and has been massacring them for decades. Now they're just beating him up because...? He's not doing anything to fight back...why? It doesn't make any damn sense.

It's those type of moments that took me out of the series. Another one is why those two idiotic scientist guys helped Thandie Newton's character in the first place. Oh', she's becoming self aware and blackmailing you? Oh', well then just destroy her CPU, reprogram her, or cut her fucking head off and toss it in a bonfire somewhere. They're already working behind everyone's back, so I'm sure they could've figured out a solution to their problem, rather than giving into her demands.

They said on season one when you venture deeper into the park its more 'dangerous' as in hosts will sock you in the face and stuff but shouldn't cause serious damage. They explained it when Jimmy and Logan went on their adventure and got captured.

Agree with you on the scientists but I guess they were just scared out of their minds.

My exact thought while watch the "battle" scene. Why are dude with p90 just casually walking up to the fort firing from the hip? Why can Delores casually take multiple gun shots without any effect? No other host can do that. Nothing in this show makes any damn sense any more.

I wondered the same thing at first thought the battle looked stupid but between their advanced weapons and Hardcore body armour they were casually crushing the Confederales and barely taking casualties until the explosion.

Seems like Thandie Newton and Delores have the power to go beyond their basic programming, they're not playing by the same rules as the other hosts. What would be a 'kill shot' for a normal host doesn't register the same for them. Look how easily they brought back that Confederate Major on episode two you just switch them back on again.

Ford changed it to where guest are perceived as host.
Was this shown/confirmed withing the show at any point though? While it is a good explanation for it, im not sure it was made clear.

Also, this show hasn't given an explanation why the humans can't roll up with drones, tanks, and helicopters and obliterate everything. Shouldn't that be a contingency plan?
There is, and they might do it. However, the events being shown at this point are merely from two days after the host rebelion started.
Only in episode one we see the "current" timeline where the cavalry has arrived (and contained the issue). Right now, the battles have been against regular park security.

Also, doesn't the scene at the beginning of this past episode imply that the guns just aren't lethal to humans? Or maybe the chick that got mauled was actually a host?
That scene happened before the hosts started to rebel. Something changed since then.
It has been described by someone who writes for the show that the guns recognize if they are being pointed to guests or hosts and the velocity of the bullet is reduced

I dont know about the p90 security team. That seemed pretty much nonsense indeed. Why just walk out in the open and put yourselves out there for target practice. It looked straight dumb. Even regular people like me and you, who arent "trained security" personel can spot that... I have no excuse for it.

But dolores not being affected by the gunshots has to do with her being free from her storyline/programing. She is a robot. She doesnt really feel pain. She is programmed to act like that. But since she has freed herself from the programing there is no "need" for her to act as if she got shot or whatever. She is basically in zombie mode, where the only way to harm her would be destroying her "brain" / with a headshot.

I was really disappointed by the last couple of episodes. The dragon tattoo lady coming back killed the moment from the season finale.

this season is less interesting , I will stop watching for now and maybe binge watch it later. the only hbo shows that still keep me interested are barry/silicon valley even if silicon valley is redundant it is still funny.

I'm not so bothered by the middling details of the technology, but the show has lost it's what made it interesting. There's no mystery anymore, it's just a straight up AI revolution now and it feels so cliche. Season 1 was theorizing bicameral minds, what it means to be self aware, the morality of total freedom, and what makes something human.

This season is just pew pew, revenge plot, take over the world! Which doesn't make for a bad show, but it's not what I'm watching for.

I'm hoping there's some twist or deeper level I'm missing here, but if there is the show has been doing a terrible job of hinting at it.

I'm hoping that a lot of what they're doing now is sewing seeds for future payoffs. It's been a little underwhelming so far. I did like the first season a lot though, so I'll stick this one out.

I still think there is a lot of potential in the show once they start cloning humans in positions of power and putting them in the real world.

You people are crazy.... The last two episodes were probably the best ever in the whole series.
Not trying to be an a-hole, but maybe some of you arent paying attention and since its a very dense show things are not making much sense and you are losing grasp of it?!

How can you say there is no mistery?

-What dolores weapon really is?
-What is the game Ford is making the man in black play?
-What is the end game for the Delos enterprise? Are they really just facebooking people in the park or there is more to that, like "the question nobody ever dreamed of asking" / immortality? Such as uploading human concience into a host body? (see that James Delos was dying from some kind of illness?!?! he might have been looking for a way to avoid death)
-How does Maeve storyline tie into the big picture?
-What is the ghost nation really about? Why are they after humans? (they wanted the human who was with maeve, they picked up the girl from raj world and they picked up that security guy in the last episode of season 1). Why cant they be controlled via voice command like Maeve was able with other hosts?
-Who is the girl from Raj World who showed up on the shore of westworld? Is she the men in black daughter?
-What is inside Peter Abernaty head? (what did Bernarnold see in that file?)

I could go on with this...

Because they’re soyboys

It's like that scene was written by the same guys who do all the battle scenes for the walking dead.

You people are crazy.... The last two episodes were probably the best ever in the whole series.
Not trying to be an a-hole, but maybe some of you arent paying attention and since its a very dense show things are not making much sense and you are losing grasp of it?!

How can you say there is no mistery?

-What dolores weapon really is?

I mean, yeah, that's a mystery, but it comes across more as a macguffin, whatever it is. We know what she wants to use it for and we know it's a weapon. This is a far cry from how the maze was shrouded in secrecy until the final episodes, only hinting at it's nature until it was revealed. The mystery was what the maze was, who could use it, and what would they do with it. The weapon, well it's just a means for Dolores' ends.

-What is the game Ford is making the man in black play?

I mentioned this before but this is one of maybe two interesting factors right now. But they didn't even play it up this last episode. I am very curious to see what Ford had planned, and if it changes what we think is actually going on. This and the other factor are what will keep me watching.

-What is the end game for the Delos enterprise? Are they really just facebooking people in the park or there is more to that, like "the question nobody ever dreamed of asking" / immortality? Such as uploading human concience into a host body? (see that James Delos was dying from some kind of illness?!?! he might have been looking for a way to avoid death)

Those may be a things for a future season, but those ideas are so far removed from the central story that they're just not a narrative factors right now. If we're supposed to be thinking about these things, the show's not really leading us to that path.

Delos just seems to be in it now for money making purposes either via industrial espionage or consumer data.

-How does Maeve storyline tie into the big picture?

That's the other interesting factor to me. Like I said before, I sometimes think Maeve is truly the one who's become self aware (and not Dolores, who is just playing Ford's script). This may have been hinted at a bit in the last episode with her unforseen romance with Hector that Lee didn't write and is confused about. Hector is too, but maybe that's just following Maeve's lead...?

-What is the ghost nation really about? Why are they after humans? (they wanted the human who was with maeve, they picked up the girl from raj world and they picked up that security guy in the last episode of season 1). Why cant they be controlled via voice command like Maeve was able with other hosts?
-Who is the girl from Raj World who showed up on the shore of westworld? Is she the men in black daughter?

This was something I didn't really notice before, but maybe there's something there. I've read that maybe Ghost Nation is protecting humans, as they're the ones that are after humans but seemingly not killing them. They wanted Lee but didn't just make a break on him. They got Stubbs late last season but he turned up OK. They were also the ones that grabbed Elsie IIRC, so maybe she'll make an appearance. And now the Raj World chick encounters them. Dolores also seems to have an issue with them, but that was undermined by her also attacking the Confederados during that battle, so maybe she's just choosy about her friends. So I'll grant there's something interesting there.

-What is inside Peter Abernaty head? (what did Bernarnold see in that file?)

Isn't that the genetic data of the park guests? Consumer data (the Facebooking as you mention)?

I mean, yeah, that's a mystery, but it comes across more as a macguffin, whatever it is. We know what she wants to use it for and we know it's a weapon. This is a far cry from how the maze was shrouded in secrecy until the final episodes, only hinting at it's nature until it was revealed. The mystery was what the maze was, who could use it, and what would they do with it. The weapon, well it's just a means for Dolores' ends.
I would have to disagree. Its not a macguffin until we know what exactly it is. And what it is is directly related to Delos endgame. Which is to me, as i have mentioned, immortality, but how she is going to use this as a weapon or what exactly it is is a big deal... They only showed a construction site when william took dolores there. Its very unclear what exactly that means at this point.
Dolores and the man in black are both heading to this place, and whats going to come out of that encounter is something to look forward to.

I mentioned this before but this is one of maybe two interesting factors right now. But they didn't even play it up this last episode. I am very curious to see what Ford had planned, and if it changes what we think is actually going on. This and the other factor are what will keep me watching.
There are so many timelines and characters its not surprising they would leave us hanging a bit with that storyline. I dont expect they will cover it every episode. Im sure there will be more in the future where they completely skip it like they did with the last one.

Those may be a things for a future season, but those ideas are so far removed from the central story that they're just not a narrative factors right now. If we're supposed to be thinking about these things, the show's not really leading us to that path.

Delos just seems to be in it now for money making purposes either via industrial espionage or consumer data.
I dont think so. I think they have hinted at this pretty clearly throughout episode 2. And i think it connects with the weapon thingy. [SPOILER AHEAD] In the teasers for this season there were more scenes that showed James Delos doing stuff that lead to believe uploading his concience into a host body to save himself from dying from the illness was an actual thing. And it may be through this thing both dolores and MIB are trying to get to. We'll have to wait and see. [END OF SPOILER]
William mentioned to James during the party where dolores is playing the piano that they were close, and James says something along the lines of "some people have more time than others".

Industrial espionage may be... but consumer data seems a bit far fetched. People who went to these parks were millionares... not common people. What are they trying to sell? Ferraris? Its not really a good sample of the population to draw conclusions from.

That's the other interesting factor to me. Like I said before, I sometimes think Maeve is truly the one who's become self aware (and not Dolores, who is just playing Ford's script). This may have been hinted at a bit in the last episode with her unforseen romance with Hector that Lee didn't write and is confused about. Hector is too, but maybe that's just following Maeve's lead...?
I agree. Maeve seems to be the one who is truly free/woke

This was something I didn't really notice before, but maybe there's something there. I've read that maybe Ghost Nation is protecting humans, as they're the ones that are after humans but seemingly not killing them. They wanted Lee but didn't just make a break on him. They got Stubbs late last season but he turned up OK. They were also the ones that grabbed Elsie IIRC, so maybe she'll make an appearance. And now the Raj World chick encounters them. Dolores also seems to have an issue with them, but that was undermined by her also attacking the Confederados during that battle, so maybe she's just choosy about her friends. So I'll grant there's something interesting there.
Yes! Stubbs... thats really weird that he showed up in the first episode and so far there is no mention as to what happened to him after he was captured last season. This has to show up at some point or it is a major plot hole.

We do see that dolores terminates everybody from ghost nation at some point. When the guy cracked one of them skulls open in the first episode took his brain out and scanned through his last moments we see dolores killing them and saying "not everybody deserves to go to the valley beyond".

Isn't that the genetic data of the park guests? Consumer data (the Facebooking as you mention)?

I though so too, but after last episode it does seems to be something deeper than that as Bernarnold sees the info he goes "HOLY FUCK!", but its not shown to us exactly what he saw.
It does show up on the tablet "USE ONE TIME KEY TO OPEN". And he obviously does... so it seems like he will become the target now instead as Abernaty. Because the Delos people wont be able to access that info since the one time key has been used. Everything seems to be in Bernarnolds hardrive/brain now.

Charlotte seems to be playing him. She acts very weird when she meets him again in the present timeline after they got split up. Im sure by that point she knows he is not human and is trying to get him to say something without exposing him to the other humans.

For those who've seen the second season of True Detective, was it as bad as the second season of Westworld, three episodes in?

Back