Media Volk Emotional on ‘Need to keep busy’ driving him to take fights

I hadn’t seen him at the press conference at the time of posting my statement and I admit my opinion has changed a bit after watching that. I admit I went a little too hard with the some of y’all are so soft line, my apologies.

looking at the situation now I do believe there’s a little smoke there and it’s good that Volk expressed himself the way he did. I’m still not certain if he’s being emotional mainly because he lost or because he really does feel a void when he’s not competing - time will have to tell. It seems to me like like Volk has a solid team around him with people that care about him and will check up on him following his statements.

His identity is that of such a driven athlete and competitor that I can imagine him being on the sidelines can make him feel depressed but again, feeling depressed and having a depression are different things.

When I had a legitimate depression I did not feel any emotions at all and every time I talk to people that have a depression, they say exactly the same thing. You’re not particularly sad, nor are you happy/upbeat; you just don’t feel anything at all. At my lowest point I slept for 16 hours a day and had no energy to do anything. It seems inconceivable to me that Volkanovski would experience similar states of being, but then again, every situation is different, so perhaps I’m just being ignorant.

I do believe the “depression” label is overdiagnosed though. Often, the person’s life just sucks and he/she has to make some thorough changes for the “depression/feeling depressed” to go away.
Good post

I hadn’t seen him at the press conference at the time of posting my statement and I admit my opinion has changed a bit after watching that. I admit I went a little too hard with the some of y’all are so soft line, my apologies.

looking at the situation now I do believe there’s a little smoke there and it’s good that Volk expressed himself the way he did. I’m still not certain if he’s being emotional mainly because he lost or because he really does feel a void when he’s not competing - time will have to tell. It seems to me like like Volk has a solid team around him with people that care about him and will check up on him following his statements.

His identity is that of such a driven athlete and competitor that I can imagine him being on the sidelines can make him feel depressed but again, feeling depressed and having a depression are different things.

When I had a legitimate depression I did not feel any emotions at all and every time I talk to people that have a depression, they say exactly the same thing. You’re not particularly sad, nor are you happy/upbeat; you just don’t feel anything at all. At my lowest point I slept for 16 hours a day and had no energy to do anything. It seems inconceivable to me that Volkanovski would experience similar states of being, but then again, every situation is different, so perhaps I’m just being ignorant.

I do believe the “depression” label is overdiagnosed though. Often, the person’s life just sucks and he/she has to make some thorough changes for the “depression/feeling depressed” to go away.
Sorry to hear you suffered from depression man, its truly awful
Are you depression free now?
Any advice on how you managed to get rid of it or made it more manageable if you don't mind me asking

I figured you just hadn’t seen the clip yet, was all. Way to own your mistake, even if very small and understandable given that you just weren’t working w the full info yet
<MikeP1>

Sorry to hear you suffered from depression man, its truly awful
Are you depression free now?
Any advice on how you managed to get rid of it or made it more manageable if you don't mind me asking
No worries brother. Yes, I have been depression free for a long time now.

My situation was basically doing a job I hated, being in a dysfunctional relationship, adapting to new medication for a condition I have and having other pressures at the same time. The way I “got out” of depression was cutting away all of the things that weren’t working for me one at a time and replacing them with healthier ones. Talking to a psychologist helps a lot to guide you through the process, but the “real work” has to be done by yourself. It is a slow process, too.

Oddly enough, I feel like the experience of having a depression was the best thing that ever happened to me, as it taught me a lot about myself, things I still use every day. It can kill a man but it can also give you incredible mental strength if you manage to overcome it. It’s also why I have no problems talking to people about it, there is 0 shame here.
<{JustBleed}>

No worries brother. Yes, I have been depression free for a long time now.

My situation was basically doing a job I hated, being in a dysfunctional relationship, adapting to new medication for a condition I have and having other pressures at the same time. The way I “got out” of depression was cutting away all of the things that weren’t working for me one at a time and replacing them with healthier ones. Talking to a psychologist helps a lot to guide you through the process, but the “real work” has to be done by yourself. It is a slow process, too.

Oddly enough, I feel like the experience of having a depression was the best thing that ever happened to me, as it taught me a lot about myself, things I still use every day. It can kill a man but it can also give you incredible mental strength if you manage to overcome it. It’s also why I have no problems talking to people about it, there is 0 shame here.
<{JustBleed}>
Glad you are depression free brother! Thanks for the advice man! Yeah depression is bad but positives can come out of it, like teaching a lot about yourself and putting yourself into a position where you work harder on self improvement
Appreciate it

Yeh, as I think you're understanding now: depression comes in so many different ways, that most of the time you can't even tell someone is depressed because what's causing it isn't even something you personally can fathom.

Like I said in my post, whenever I got depressed like Volk it was because of no creative projects on the go, specifically I wasn't writing anything at the time when I was so used to always having something. To get depressed over something so seemingly simple as not having a story on the go would sound absolutely stupid and trivial to lots of people, but then, whatever depresses them might sound the same to others.

And in a lot of cases, that person's life doesn't suck and changes don't make a difference.

If Volk is suffering from depression or has it to some degree, I hope he can find a way to cope with it or to deal with it. It's not easy to overcome something like that when it's like around you like dark clouds hovering. So I wish him good health.

It's as if you're not allowed to feel negative emotions without it being a condition. Humans are allowed to feel happy, mad, sad, etc. That's part of life. But I do see younger children having big behavioral problems all the time now.

Well they're running over-time now. It's a good thing that mental health is taken serious now and people can get the help they need, more than ever before.

But talk about overtreatment. Everybody is put into boxes now and labelled for life, and seemingly just by simple methods like filling in a simple questionnaire which hardly seems like a bulletproof method. Then they get meds which they might not need, and those might give them other problems they wouldn't have had.

With the way they do it today I wonder if there are any humans who don't have any sort of depression, bipolarism, narcissism, ADHD, autism etc. Or the other 1000 isms. If you look long enough everybody can be labelled with an ism. You can't be a normal person anymore.

I think taking a fight on short notice is
different to being active. Previous to him taking this fight I was under the impression that he wouldn’t be available for quite some time to fight again because of the surgery.

Appreciate your reflection here and having the stones to own the mistake instead of doubling down and getting super-defensive. For my part I recognise I was harsh in response but due to my personal experience of friends who've taken their own lives I react hard on stuff like that.

I also maybe shouldn't have said depression specifically in my original post - it could be what he's experiencing are feelings of anxiety or dissociation or whatever, its too little info to take much other than it seems like he's describing some form of mental struggle when not able to focus his mind on fighting.

FWIW I do also believe that the language of mental illness has been co-opted to describe situations that are just within the normal bounds of human experience. This book is very good on this particular topic - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Losing-Our-Minds-Mental-Illness/dp/184792638X

Yeh, as I think you're understanding now: depression comes in so many different ways, that most of the time you can't even tell someone is depressed because what's causing it isn't even something you personally can fathom.

Like I said in my post, whenever I got depressed like Volk it was because of no creative projects on the go, specifically I wasn't writing anything at the time when I was so used to always having something. To get depressed over something so seemingly simple as not having a story on the go would sound absolutely stupid and trivial to lots of people, but then, whatever depresses them might sound the same to others.

And in a lot of cases, that person's life doesn't suck and changes don't make a difference.
Us humans “create” our own personal problems based on who we are and want to be. That helped a lot for me to keep in mind.

Your case seems another one that’s very heavily linked to your identity - if you are unable to express yourself creatively, you are not fulfilled and aren’t finding meaning. The same is true for all creative people - if they can’t create, they wither on the vine. Volk being a martial ARTIST seems to have a similar “problem”.

hope you’re good now though brother!

Us humans “create” our own personal problems based on who we are and want to be. That helped a lot for me to keep in mind.

Your case seems another one that’s very heavily linked to your identity - if you are unable to express yourself creatively, you are not fulfilled and aren’t finding meaning. The same is true for all creative people - if they can’t create, they wither on the vine. Volk being a martial ARTIST seems to have a similar “problem”.

hope you’re good now though brother!

Yeh, that's exactly it, and I feel for Volk as his thing is fighting at the highest comp level, which isn't something he'll be able to do into his 40s. At least with writing or something you can.

And yeh, I'm doing good now, mate. Over the last few years I've slowly shrugged off a lot of the things I thought I needed and replaced them with a degenerate MMA gambling addiction. As terrible as that sounds, it's been great for me lol.

Back