Media Volk Emotional on ‘Need to keep busy’ driving him to take fights

Using competition as a distraction from depression is an incredibly common symptom in men. The exact way that Volk described how he feels, how his head is done in when he isn't in camp or preparing for a fight; if he said that to a psychiatrist, they would immediately be under the assumption that he was was outwardly exhibiting symptoms of a chronic depressive condition. Would they immediately diagnose him? Of course not, but that would 100% be a focal point of their diagnoses, or at the very least, a path to one.
There have been multiple studies on the use of competitive behavior as a way to battle against internalized feelings of inferiority.
This ties in to one of a few leading theories on the reasons for depressions existence, Rank Theory of Depression, which was put forth by Anthony Stevens in Evolutionary Psychiatry: A New Beginning, 2000.
Rank Theory proposes that depression promotes the survival of genes, an adaptive response to losing status (rank) and losing confidence in the ability to regain it. The adaptive function of the depression is to change behaviour to promote survival for someone who has been defeated. According to rank theory, depression was naturally selected to allow us to accept a subordinate role. The function of this depressive adaptation is to prevent the loser from suffering further defeat in a conflict.
To further build on that, at a conference I attended a long time ago, I listened to a theory from a Rank Theorist that the most hyper competitive among us, the people like Volkanovski or Jon Jones or GSPs, or his actual examples like Michael Jordan or Gary Kasparov were in all likelihood among the most depressed people on the planet that simply had a genetic malfunction that caused them to constantly fight or persevere (restoration of rank, winning) instead of accepting defeat. In a way, that hyper competitive perseverance is the exact opposite of a survival instinct, it is in fact a self destructive one, the opposite force of what biologically makes sense, yielding and giving up to live another day (this is called Involuntary Defeat Strategy, IDS).
I don't know whether you're right or wrong about Volk, only he knows that, but this would not be a new development or theory about people that are in GOAT discussions from any walks of life.
Sorry for the blog post, I just feel like depression is still a horrifically misunderstood mental condition, and especially for men, there is a certain stigma around it.
To any Sherbros that read this and feel down, it's a normal part of your brain chemistry that each and every one of us will deal with at one point or another. You're never alone, and temporary problems never require permanent solutions. 100% of bridge jumpers that survive tell psychiatrists and hospital staff that the very moment they left the ledge, they regretted it. That is because it's there as a survival mechanism left over from our Lower Paleolithic days where an argument over berries would lead to your head being bashed in with a rock.
<{spoogebab}>
Stay classy, Sherdog.

Thank you for this post. that is fascinating and depression being a form of coping to better handle submission/being in a subordinate role makes a lot of sense.

with that said, i think a lot of depression in men stems from the fact that, some more than others, would be happier living in a time "where an argument over berries could lead to your head being bashed in with a rock". life was more simple: you hunt, you eat, you fight, you fuck, you shit, and you sleep. or you get your head bashed in with a rock or killed by large game or any random thing

grown men are now allowed to cry in 2023.

imagine my dad or grandfather - both war veterans - openly and publicly crying after a set back...

they would both have beaten my ass to this day if i cried like a women in public. i wasn;t even allowed to show those emotions at home. made a man out of me

Sounds like being very insecure in your masculinity.

I understand what he’s going through sadly. As an all time great combat sports athlete, when im not winning belts and knocking people out I go into a dark place

grown men are now allowed to cry in 2023.

imagine my dad or grandfather - both war veterans - openly and publicly crying after a set back...

I guarantee you if they're both war veterans, they've both cried in front of other men.

they would both have beaten my ass to this day if i cried like a women in public. i wasn;t even allowed to show those emotions at home. made a man out of me

Ironic, because you sound like an edgy teenager.

You can’t be too masculine cuz that’s “toxic”
But you can’t cry either
It’s a tightrope

on a side note I’ve seen some workaholic types that when they retire it turns them crazy as shit cuz they always need to be on the go. I felt that a bit too with my goof health limiting me all the time. I miss working every day.

You can’t be too masculine cuz that’s “toxic”
But you can’t cry either
It’s a tightrope

on a side note I’ve seen some workaholic types that when they retire it turns them crazy as shit cuz they always need to be on the go. I felt that a bit too with my goof health limiting me all the time. I miss working every day.

stoicism my friend. keep it under your stetson

and that is what Volk needs to do. find a hobby. work on his house. volunteer in the community. get a part time job. always get something done every day, learn something, etc.

I don't like when he said i should of trained more.

Some of y’all are so fucking soft.

I’m all for mental health awareness but what other indication do you even have for this? Even if that were true a man has to work and work is often therapy. Especially when talking about man like Volk. He’s out here having a high profile fighting career and he seems to absolutely enjoy that shit. Sure he got head kicked but he just wants to keep going and is indicating he feels fine after getting knocked out. Medical examination will decide if he’s fit to fight.

he’s not depressed, he’s a fucking competitor.

I don't think he's depressed either

but I do think he'd get depressed if he didn't stay active
...or after he loses to Topuria, and his belt

Andre Arlovski was reportedly suicidal after a few of his losses. i honestly think some guys are wired to fight to the death and either win the fight, or die trying. many warriors throughout history lived that way

I’m all for mental health awareness but what other indication do you even have for this? Even if that were true a man has to work and work is often therapy. Especially when talking about man like Volk. He’s out here having a high profile fighting career and he seems to absolutely enjoy that shit. Sure he got head kicked but he just wants to keep going and is indicating he feels fine after getting knocked out. Medical examination will decide if he’s fit to fight.

It’s the ones you never suspect mate

Volks always trying the hardest to make everyone laugh, make everyone feel comfortable. He’s obviously a very mentally strong guy, but sometimes there are no signs

Andre Arlovski was reportedly suicidal after a few of his losses. i honestly think some guys are wired to fight to the death and either win the fight, or die trying. many warriors throughout history lived that way

the solution to fighter depression is to just fight to the death

It is depression.

I've had the same sort of depression as he has plenty of times. Mine was over a lack of something creative on the go, while Volk's is competitive fighting, but it works all the same. Plenty of people get thrown out by this sort of thing.

It's weird because once I'm back filling that void with what I thought I needed, I always looked back at those times and think, "what the fuck was I so upset about? The break wasn't so bad."

It's strange shit.

He should do joo jitsu or wrestling comps during his down time

probably not violent enough for him, plus you’d have bjj dorks bragging they beat Volk in a “fight” if they caught him in a submission

It is depression.

I've had the same sort of depression as he has plenty of times. Mine was over a lack of something creative on the go, while Volk's is competitive fighting, but it works all the same. Plenty of people get thrown out by this sort of thing.

It's weird because once I'm back filling that void with what I thought I needed, I always looked back at those times and think, "what the fuck was I so upset about? The break wasn't so bad."

It's strange shit.

for some athletes, being an athlete is their identity. without it, they don't even know who they are

for other athletes, it is just something they do to give them better circumstances in their actual life. this is true not just professionally, but even in high school as being an athlete improves social status which leads to more success with friends and girls

Back