Uriah Hall had slight heart attack and mini-seizure?!

He's fine just load up on Powerade and get those electrolytes back up to snuff. Geeze, big whoop.

Unfortunately the reality of it is much more difficult and quite the slippery-slope. "Natural weight class" is not some black-and-white thing that can be enforced. How do we determine that? I weigh 20 lbs less than I did in mid-December, partially from the holiday weight gain I had just before the flu and an injury. Mid-fall I weighed 10 lbs more than I do now, so I went up 10, then down 20. Which of those weights is my natural weight? How would they know when a fighter just simply puts on weight due to age or something else yet they start cutting or dieting to get back?

It starts with someone bulking up a little and cutting a little weight, which wouldn't be noticed. Someone else does it a little more, then someone else, etc. If someone could explain a long-term procedure for determining a person's "natural weight", ensuring they don't go up much in weight so they don't cut weight or diet down. and still maintain hydration without any real chance of them missing weight, then we have an answer. Otherwise it's just a bunch of keyboard warriors demanding a black-and-white answer where one is impossible.
How hard would it be to monitor a fighter's weight 10 weeks from the fight date? Seems like an easy solution to me.

Fedor is GOAT; smaller than all modern MW's, makes the Diaz brothers look huge, never cut a pound, gave 0 f's and had the longest undefeated reign of any modern champion.

IV bags are not good for rehydration. It's not a good way of rehydrating, your body will be compromised.

IV drips are literally for hydration.

Unless there's something else to your statement, I'm confused.

Unfortunately the reality of it is much more difficult and quite the slippery-slope. "Natural weight class" is not some black-and-white thing that can be enforced. How do we determine that? I weigh 20 lbs less than I did in mid-December, partially from the holiday weight gain I had just before the flu and an injury. Mid-fall I weighed 10 lbs more than I do now, so I went up 10, then down 20. Which of those weights is my natural weight? How would they know when a fighter just simply puts on weight due to age or something else yet they start cutting or dieting to get back?

It starts with someone bulking up a little and cutting a little weight, which wouldn't be noticed. Someone else does it a little more, then someone else, etc. If someone could explain a long-term procedure for determining a person's "natural weight", ensuring they don't go up much in weight so they don't cut weight or diet down. and still maintain hydration without any real chance of them missing weight, then we have an answer. Otherwise it's just a bunch of keyboard warriors demanding a black-and-white answer where one is impossible.
How hard is it to make them step on a scale in the arena? If you are 155 pounds on fight night, you are a lightweight.

what a bunch of crap, LOL. "I think"???
He's just pulling a DaDa 5000 to avoid the shame and humiliation: "I literarily died....so you can't make fun of me or give me shit". Anyone that has kids recognizes what is happening here

IV bags are not good for rehydration. It's not a good way of rehydrating, your body will be compromised.
My friend was dying from dehydration because of an illness. He was given IV fluids. Seemed to work. Lol

...i did make weight
... even if i made weight
.... wut?

My friend was dying from dehydration because of an illness. He was given IV fluids. Seemed to work. Lol
yeah this guy dosent know what hes talking about. there a reason hospitols stick you on a drip right away.

Weight cutting shouldn’t be this risky tbh. Kinda ruins the sport when you think about it.

This cutting weight shit is pretty horrible, especially when fighting on TUF with like 3 fights in less than 2 months.

Do high level wrestlers cut 15-25 lbs like this on average for competition?

There is tons of varying data and opinion on it. Fighters need quick rehydration and an IV provides that. Drinking fluids can take hours to be absorbed by your body. IV is almost instant.
IV gets it done faster but the research shows it's safer and more beneficial health wise to rehydrate orally. I've read quotes from trainers who say the IV was just a mental crutch for the fighters. Most of us here care about safety.

I don’t understand the complexity of eliminating extreme and sudden weight cutting, but maybe I’m missing something.

To me would seem easy to just make 4 compulsory weight-ins in the 4 weeks prior to a fight.

1st week - weight must be within 15%
2nd week - weight must be within 10%
3rd week - weight must be within 5%
4th (fight week) - weight of fight +/- 2%

It allows for some bulking up between fights but forces a smaller and very gradual - thus healthy - reduction to fight weight.

That is technically true but they're wonderful for a quick fix.
I had a friend who was a heavy drinker and he would use one in the morning and he would be good as new.

How hard would it be to monitor a fighter's weight 10 weeks from the fight date? Seems like an easy solution to me.

who are you paying to do it and how are you verifying it's legit? USADA costs a shit ton of money for a reason. College wrestling has "hydration tests" and weight checks now, do you think high end programs have any type of accountability for those "tests". It's like assuming D1 football stars are attending class and passing tests on their own.

IV gets it done faster but the research shows it's safer and more beneficial health wise to rehydrate orally. I've read quotes from trainers who say the IV was just a mental crutch for the fighters. Most of us here care about safety.
As long as professionals are administering the IV it is extremely safe. Slight to moderate dehydration is easily solved with oral fluids but fighters who are cutting weight are normally very dehydrated. An IV in that case is easily the best solution, fighters need to get as hydrated as possible as quickly as possible considering what they are expected to endure just 24-36 hours later. If safety was the main concern here IVs would be allowed, they are only banned because of drug testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back