Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Four

You know what's up with Raul Catinas? He is Romanian kickboxer here was a thread that he retired from kickboxing to focus at mma but he fought just one time in mma. And from what I understand he returned to kickboxing.

Honestly, whenever a high level kickboxer switches to MMA, I will rarely add them to my prospects list. They realize they need to start all over in MMA and generally fall back to kickboxing where they already have a guaranteed paycheck. Pride being the exception, since Pride paid kickboxers with little MMA experience extremely well.

If it were me? I'd throw money at Rico Verhoeven and get him training his ground game and wrestling 24/7.

But back to your question since I really went off topic, I haven't heard anything from Raul aside from kickboxing. Would be nice if Rizin gave him a shot.

yup, boser is a can. arjan should have been the #1 canadian HW but boser and rama are still kicking about getting their asses kicked

James Mulheron signs with UFC.

He was the last UK heavy they needed at this point. Should be interesting to see how him and Godbeer do. Traditionally all the really high end heavies from the UK go to boxing, so their MMA success is usually mixed at best. Hopefully one of those two can break the trend.

After a long layoff Kazbek Saidaliev gets submitted by guillotine in round 3. With his Kadyrov ties and his less than exciting performances, I can't see Saidaliev making an appearance in any big organizations. He's also undersized for heavy, which is what got him in trouble this time.

28 year old Australian heavyweight Jeremy Joiner TKO'd Chris Lokteff in the first round to move to 4-0. Half decent win - know much aboul him Paul L? Can't find any footage myself. Doesn't look particularly athletic judging by pictures, but you can't always tell i guess.

28 year old Australian heavyweight Jeremy Joiner TKO'd Chris Lokteff in the first round to move to 4-0. Half decent win - know much aboul him Paul L? Can't find any footage myself. Doesn't look particularly athletic judging by pictures, but you can't always tell i guess.

I think that loss was more of an indication of where Lokteff is in his career rather than where Joiner is. Joiner likely won't make it off the Australian regionals, he's got a good chin and hits hard, but that can only carry a guy so far on the regional scene.

Main posts have been updated with the flurry of signings, wins, and losses. Profiles will be completed shortly (I know I know, I'm slacking).

Last edited:
James Mulheron - meh, he won't do much. 0-2 and cut I'd imagine, he's just a 'Neil Wain' type UK heavyweight who can brawl decently and hits quite hard.

Good win for Joiner but Lokteff is coming off like, a LONG layoff and doesn't seem committed to fighting.

well you need those fringe guys to prove your guys and well test the truth of it all

people shit on minakov because of his last fight, but he still could be worldclass, everyone has bad fights.

only way to get the best HW fighters is put on lots of 'HW fights

Hoping Smoldarev can be more consistent. Maybe give him Evgeny Erokhin next.
If only Smoldarv started training full time with a big training camp (maybe even with an American one) a few years ago, he just needs a good team to work on his grappling skills and his technique, sometimes he's a bit too sloppy and reckless, training with a good camp could fix most of his flaws.

If only Smoldarv started training full time with a big training camp (maybe even with an American one) a few years ago, he just needs a good team to work on his grappling skills and his technique, sometimes he's a bit too sloppy and reckless, training with a good camp could fix most of his flaws.

Totally agree. AKA or Team Elevation have compiled a lot of heavyweight grapplers, he should make a move to one of those. But yeah, at one point I had him as a close #2 due his potential, but he's looked really bad lately. A fresh camp at a good location would bring him up to a potential top 10 level fighter.

With his age, he has time. A couple years to get his flaws sealed up and he can slide into the UFC.

Richard Luis 0-0 vs. Josh Bonner 0-0
Carlos Ruan 1-0 vs. Junior dos Santos 0-2
Scott Hough 7-7 vs. Abe Wagner 10-8
Mariusz Pudzianowski 10-5 vs. Tyberiusz Kowalczyk 3-0
Marcin Różalski 6-4 vs. Fernando Rodrigues Jr. 11-2
Paweł Rak 2-2 vs. Robert Burneika 2-0
Michał Kita 17-8 vs. Michał Andryszak 18-6
Toni Valtonen 27-15 vs. Yuriy Zakharets 4-3

Not a HW any more but Gokhan Saki has signed a long term UFC deal. Interesting one, wonder how his TDD is.

Carlos Felipe is now 8-0 and has wins against Wagner Maia and Francisco Sandro da Silva Bezerra.
Is he legit?
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Carlos-Felipe-185021

He's legit. But not as a HW. He's MW/LHW. He weighs in at around 240, with a 40 pound gut. If he lost the gut, he could make MW, or if he wanted to not work as hard he could easily do LHW.

The Brazil regional scene at HW is almost amateur level, so he can get away with being a MW fighting at HW. If he fought in a larger promotion, he'd be drastically out-sized almost immediately.

Not a HW any more but Gokhan Saki has signed a long term UFC deal. Interesting one, wonder how his TDD is.

Excited to see them investing in high level kickboxers. There's a few guys at HW I'd like them to do that for too. Jamal Ben Saddik would be a fun one, he's young, has high level striking, has natural strength to supplement wrestling training and takedown defense, and he's just a huge guy with great reach.

Capture.PNG

Andrew van Zyl
14-3-0
ZA-5e7b2f4fff02d6b6944a09f8714d551c.gif

Wessel Mostert
ZA-5e7b2f4fff02d6b6944a09f8714d551c.gif
4-0-0

EFC

Back