UFN 119 - Machida vs Brunson - Sao Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great athlete, great clinch, explosive, Anderson said a couple things, alot of bodies at Kings MMA, when you stay active, you keep the rhythm, used to the cage, now more nervous, more anxious, but you have to practice your mind, more than 2 years away from the cage, I have a tough task, then the next step

Jared Gordon
Elizeu DOS Santos
JAred Brooks
Rob Font
Colby Covington
Niko Price

80$ to win 2133$

Is he? He was pretty bad in his last 2 losses and is getting kinda old. Meanwhile Jared Gordon has been ragdolling his opponents. Completely dominated Quinones and was really good vs Algeo (who it sounds like held his own vs Burgos at least in round 1).

Gordon is an ex-addict who sounds obsessed with fighting. Says he devotes 95% of his time to it. He's on the way in, Dias is on the way out, and Gordon may have a little value here.

Were you able to find this fight? Need to see Gordon against better wrestlers than Quin before feeling confident. Overall though seems to have a pretty well rounded game, better hands than I was anticipating, good combos, heavy leg kicks, relentless pressure and pace and mixes up his striking and grappling well. Also it does feel like Dias may have been a victim of USADA, looked good vs elkins and Levan and seems to have fell off vs Cub and Fili (who he especially looked bad against) after it came into effect.

Were you able to find this fight? Need to see Gordon against better wrestlers than Quin before feeling confident. Overall though seems to have a pretty well rounded game, better hands than I was anticipating, good combos, heavy leg kicks, relentless pressure and pace and mixes up his striking and grappling well. Also it does feel like Dias may have been a victim of USADA, looked good vs elkins and Levan and seems to have fell off vs Cub and Fili (who he especially looked bad against) after it came into effect.

Cub and Fili are both dynamic strikers though whilst Elkins and Levan are more of a grinding type. Perhaps it's the style match up.

https://www.alliancemma.com/news/watch-the-fight-that-got-him-signed-jared-gordon-on-cffc-63

His wrestling doesn't look great, Algeo got at least two solid takedowns.

But I found a writeup on Algeo vs Burgos and he scored an early takedown vs Shane as well, and Shane has awesome TDD in UFC. So it may not be the biggest flaw:

http://www.njmmanews.com/shane-burgos-submits-bill-algeo-in-cffc-32-main-event/

I still don't think Dias should be an underdog off what Gordon showed. Just seemed like a pressure-orientated TD/Top-control game against a dude that hadn't really fought outside of the regionals. Fili's not a great loss for Dias, but Gordon V. Quinonez was a fight between 2 dudes who've yet to actually fight a UFC Vet. Hard to read exactly where either of them is without a known quantity. I just don't see enough out of Gordon to make him a logical favorite in this bout.

Cub and Fili are both dynamic strikers though whilst Elkins and Levan are more of a grinding type. Perhaps it's the style match up.

Very well could be, good point to consider. That said, Gordon for sure has better standup than Elkins, need to refresh on Levan.

I still don't think Dias should be an underdog off what Gordon showed. Just seemed like a pressure-orientated TD/Top-control game against a dude that hadn't really fought outside of the regionals. Fili's not a great loss for Dias, but Gordon V. Quinonez was a fight between 2 dudes who've yet to actually fight a UFC Vet. Hard to read exactly where either of them is without a known quantity. I just don't see enough out of Gordon to make him a logical favorite in this bout.

Definitely still some question marks out there on Gordon. That pace though will make it tough for Dias, who slows down in recent fights, to win the 3rd if it gets there. Need to watch more of each before having a real good feel for the fight.

i might take a shot on price after luque gassed in his last fight and is taking this one on short notice.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is Colby went into the Warlley fight with a rib injury

or the fact that this is the third fight for the 39-year-old maia in five months, one of which was five rounds and the second most important fight in his career.

he might not have much left for cody

Watched Gordon vs Alego, negative was his defensive wrestling isn't great, however he showed good get-ups, uses a whizzer nicely and good in scrambles. Pace is again relentless and has heavy GnP. Biggest attributes are definitely his pace and aggression.

Last edited:
i might take a shot on price after luque gassed in his last fight and is taking this one on short notice.
seems like a good livebet fight.. maybe small shot on Luque R1 and livebet Price if it goes out of R1 and Luque is slowing

Yeah I feel Luque has a slight standup edge and advantage on the ground but the way he gassed despite being in control in r1 makes him hard to bet at current odds.

Yeah I feel Luque has a slight standup edge and advantage on the ground but the way he gassed despite being in control in r1 makes him hard to bet at current odds.

i thought he was going to steamroll edwards (who i still think is overrated). like wack3d said, price after r1 might be the best play for this fight.

MAIA IS THE DOG?!! 2U @2.10

Don't forget he was taking heavy body shots from Edwards

Surprised that Brooks is a 2-1 favourite, wasn't impressed with his debut, he ran the whole fight and scored a couple takedowns and tried to stall. Shelton got sharper as the fight went on and that decision could have gone either way. Shelton is a solid fighter but he lacks aggression

Brooks is a tiny flyweight as well, maybe the smallest in the UFC. He's a good wrestler with a powerful shot but but he couldn't do anything to Shelton on the ground. His striking is basic but he uses a lot of movement lateral movement, he wanted nothing to do with the pocket vs Shelton. He was literally do laps of the cage vs Shelton. On the regional scene, when Brooks was fighting bums, he fought much more aggressively but it's different at the UFC level

Brooks will probably try to grind out a decision vs Fig, take him down and stall against the cage, he doesn't want nothing to do with the punches, elbows, knees and kicks. Fig is a big flyweight with big power in his hands and he's clearly a better overall striker than Brooks. 6 inch reach advantage for Fig too

Fig is no slouch on the ground either and his size advantage will be a factor in the grappling. 11/12 of Fig's wins are finishes and he's much more likely to get the finish in this fight. The fight being in Brazil is good for Fig as well, if it goes to the scorecards I'm sure it will be close. Crowd will boo the hell out of Brooks when he starts running, which he will do.

Both guys are undefeated but I do favour Fig to win, he does have many advantages on paper and I'm surprised he's a +160 dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back