UFN 119 - Machida vs Brunson - Sao Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised that Brooks is a 2-1 favourite, wasn't impressed with his debut, he ran the whole fight and scored a couple takedowns and tried to stall. Shelton got sharper as the fight went on and that decision could have gone either way. Shelton is a solid fighter but he lacks aggression

Brooks is a tiny flyweight as well, maybe the smallest in the UFC. He's a good wrestler with a powerful shot but but he couldn't do anything to Shelton on the ground. His striking is basic but he uses a lot of movement lateral movement, he wanted nothing to do with the pocket vs Shelton. He was literally do laps of the cage vs Shelton. On the regional scene, when Brooks was fighting bums, he fought much more aggressively but it's different at the UFC level

Brooks will probably try to grind out a decision vs Fig, take him down and stall against the cage, he doesn't want nothing to do with the punches, elbows, knees and kicks. Fig is a big flyweight with big power in his hands and he's clearly a better overall striker than Brooks. 6 inch reach advantage for Fig too

Fig is no slouch on the ground either and his size advantage will be a factor in the grappling. 11/12 of Fig's wins are finishes and he's much more likely to get the finish in this fight. The fight being in Brazil is good for Fig as well, if it goes to the scorecards I'm sure it will be close. Crowd will boo the hell out of Brooks when he starts running, which he will do.

Both guys are undefeated but I do favour Fig to win, he does have many advantages on paper and I'm surprised he's the a +160 dog

Listened to a Brooks interview yesterday, says he walks around at 131lbs. Also says he plans to ground Fig and thinks Figs cardio is lacking

Fyi Dias/Gordon is at LW as both missed weight by 3-4 pounds last fight. Gordon was already on the smaller end of FW, and Dias was a large FW.

Can someone explain my why the greatest BJJ practitioner in UFC would lose to a guy who's game only focuses on getting the fight down?

Can someone explain my why the greatest BJJ practitioner in UFC would lose to a guy who's game only focuses on getting the fight down?

Bc Maia has struggled with wrestlers in the past, and Colby is much younger, stronger, and more athletic. He has legit ragdolled 4 guys in a row. Maia is a different beast, but it's just as likely that he's physically overmatched as it is that Colby is technically ovematched.

I still am skeptical that Maia should be the underdog, but this is likely close to a coinflip.

I'm toying around the idea of betting Price, but aren't people worried that if suckass Morono can rock Price a couple of times in round 1 that Luque can too?

And even if Luque doesn't get the round 1 KO, he could score a 10-8 or 10-7 round at home.

I also believe Edwards is a tougher opponent than Price, and Luque all things considered wasn't that bad that fight. Still super young, still improving. This fight really could go either way, I'm not sure who should be favored.

The thought is that he's going to execute the same game plan as Woodley. Hypothetically he's capable of it but looking at his other fights, I'm not seeing much evidence to back that up. Woodley's TDD was a proven commodity coming in, Colby's defensive wrestling hasn't really been tested yet. I'm also not sure his striking game is evolved enough to stay on the outside and chip away. If he chooses to grapple with Maia I believe he's making a mistake, but that remains to be seen.

I'm toying around the idea of betting Price, but aren't people worried that if suckass Morono can rock Price a couple of times in round 1 that Luque can too?

And even if Luque doesn't get the round 1 KO, he could score a 10-8 or 10-7 round at home.

I also believe Edwards is a tougher opponent than Price, and Luque all things considered wasn't that bad that fight. Still super young, still improving. This fight really could go either way, I'm not sure who should be favored.
Didn't you say in another post that you've only been watching MMA for 2 months? Taken colllectively, your posts show a level of knowledge far deeper than 2 months of watching will get you.

Why not bet Luque ML or Luque round 1 pre-fight and live bet Price if the situation warrants it.

just playing devils advocate here. What if CC straight up out-wrestles an aging Maia to end up on top for 3 rounds....

CC doesn't need to attempt subs he only needs to secure a dominant position for 3 rounds to grind the W. CC will find a willing grappling partner in Maia.

just playing devils advocate here. What if CC straight up out-wrestles an aging Maia to end up on top for 3 rounds....

CC doesn't need to attempt subs he only needs to secure a dominant position for 3 rounds to grind the W. CC will find a willing grappling partner in Maia.

BJJ scout does a good job of outlining how that would go.

Didn't you say in another post that you've only been watching MMA for 2 months? Taken colllectively, your posts show a level of knowledge far deeper than 2 months of watching will get you.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment

Why not bet Luque ML or Luque round 1 pre-fight and live bet Price if the situation warrants it.

Bc I can't get any substantial money down on live betting or props. Successfully predicting ML with no hedges is the only way to truly make loads of money betting MMA.

Also I believe Price round 1 finish is possible

If he does this then I will lose my money and tip my cap to cc. I don’t even think maia has to get him down. If they clinch up against the cage Maia can just grab him keep stuck to him and take his back like an anaconda. As a dog I truly believe Maia is the right play. If cc can out grapple or keep the fight standing and pick him apart then nothing more to do but tip your cap. I think odds are better they grapple and Maia does what he does and nobody really knows how good he is until he has a hold of you. I think cc will find this out.

If he does this then I will lose my money and tip my cap to cc. I don’t even think maia has to get him down. If they clinch up against the cage Maia can just grab him keep stuck to him and take his back like an anaconda. As a dog I truly believe Maia is the right play. If cc can out grapple or keep the fight standing and pick him apart then nothing more to do but tip your cap. I think odds are better they grapple and Maia does what he does and nobody really knows how good he is until he has a hold of you. I think cc will find this out.

CC is just crazy strong and a good wrestler so I see this being really close. Of course I still need to favour Maia the Anaconda but still...

I think CC presents a unique challenge compared to some other guys Maia has just sliced through.

i dont think there is anything to suggest that colby is a better striker than maia

imo, colby covingtons striking is not good at all. its not even ufc caliber. he suppossedly sparred woodley and tyrone quit after two rounds but i call bs along with most everything else that comes out of his mouth

this video is everything that's wrong with humanity.

i love how two extroverted feminine girly boys, matt sera and dana white, criticize a real man for having a "flat" personality just because he doesn't scream and dance like a 12 year old girl when invited to the ufc.

dancing monkey's are revered and stoicism is spit upon.

hope gordon goes out and dominates.

Surprised that Brooks is a 2-1 favourite, wasn't impressed with his debut, he ran the whole fight and scored a couple takedowns and tried to stall. Shelton got sharper as the fight went on and that decision could have gone either way. Shelton is a solid fighter but he lacks aggression

Brooks is a tiny flyweight as well, maybe the smallest in the UFC. He's a good wrestler with a powerful shot but but he couldn't do anything to Shelton on the ground. His striking is basic but he uses a lot of movement lateral movement, he wanted nothing to do with the pocket vs Shelton. He was literally do laps of the cage vs Shelton. On the regional scene, when Brooks was fighting bums, he fought much more aggressively but it's different at the UFC level

Brooks will probably try to grind out a decision vs Fig, take him down and stall against the cage, he doesn't want nothing to do with the punches, elbows, knees and kicks. Fig is a big flyweight with big power in his hands and he's clearly a better overall striker than Brooks. 6 inch reach advantage for Fig too

Fig is no slouch on the ground either and his size advantage will be a factor in the grappling. 11/12 of Fig's wins are finishes and he's much more likely to get the finish in this fight. The fight being in Brazil is good for Fig as well, if it goes to the scorecards I'm sure it will be close. Crowd will boo the hell out of Brooks when he starts running, which he will do.

Both guys are undefeated but I do favour Fig to win, he does have many advantages on paper and I'm surprised he's a +160 dog

I agree. This is the weirdest fucking line. Brooks seems pretty worthless outside of his ability to go for takedowns and control the fight on the ground.

Fig OTOH seems nice. Long, athletic, powerful, has both KO power and is BJJ black belt. The only question mark is how is his wrestling.

Part of me wants to jam on Fig, another part is terrified that he has weak takedown D and Brooks is going to turn this into a wrestling affair and control it on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back