UFC a disgrace (Article from Australia)

Is MMA really still the Worlds fastest growing Sport ?? All my mates care about is Football (Soccer ..but it's really football) and sometimes NBA and Rugby .

I have only 1 mate (plus my girl) who wanna watch UFC with me . They say there just not into combat sport .. Yet will watch any Mayweather fight lol.

But yeah I'm sure it's a retarded article but if MMA is the worlds largest growing sport I'm guessing it's in Asia and South America and Africa where this growth is occuring ? In England and much of Mainland Europe it's still quite Underground . Sky and the BBC very Very rarely ever cover it and they are the biggest stations over here.

Maybe MMA is growing so much around the world that it doesn't matter how much it grows in Mainland Europe ? Would be interested if anyone could educate me on this because I genuinely find it interesting .

And yes Some Sherdoggers do have great Knowledge on many varied aspects of MMA - hence why I ask questions on here occasionally.

Thanks.

its like saying lybia is the fastest growing economy cause of the annual gdp growth rate

Not even worth a serious and thoughtful rebuttal.

Mix one cup of authoritarianism, add a layer of unjustified elitism, and finish it off with a spoonful of douchebag...get Phil Rothfield.

Edit: He also has a very punchable face.

Thank you, sir. You saved me the trouble of writing a long response. It's beyond me how this guy has the temerity to specifically defend rugby as a sport that is beautiful due to the skill displayed. So if we allow guys to kill each other over possession of a ball, suddenly the sport has redeeming social value?

From his definition, it sounds like this guy should only enjoy sports like tennis, golf, soccer, and hockey. Sports like football, boxing, hockey, and rugby should be out of the question. I would imagine that basketball is on the fence.

Wah wah wah. This guy needs to stop fucking whining. If he doesn't like it he can go watch something else.

Boxing is a sport. Kickboxing is a sport. Judo is a sport. Wrestling is a sport.

Combine them and its barbarism? Piss off.

I don't agree with the guy's rant at all, but the one thing I do realize is that MMA is the only sport that allows the striking of a downed opponent. These are big no-no's in traditional martial arts. You do not at any time strike someone when they are down.

Even the same goes with boxing.

I remember Jackie Chan saying that he doesn't endorse MMA because of this very reason.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I can see why some anti-mma enthusiasts could use ground and pound to argue that MMA is 'barbaric'.

I'm just really hoping that there will be no long-term effects of ground and pound. You're basically punching a guy downwards with gravity and body weight and there's no give for your opponent's head because it's being hit straight down into the mat which gyrates the back of the head vigorously.

The good thing is they don't have these knockdowns like boxing so once you're out, it's stopped... you don't keep getting hit after being concussed.

I don't agree with the guy's rant at all, but the one thing I do realize is that MMA is the only sport that allows the striking of a downed opponent. These are big no-no's in traditional martial arts. You do not at any time strike someone when they are down.

Even the same goes with boxing.

I remember Jackie Chan saying that he doesn't endorse MMA because of this very reason.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I can see why some anti-mma enthusiasts could use ground and pound to argue that MMA is 'barbaric'.

I'm just really hoping that there will be no long-term effects of ground and pound. You're basically punching a guy downwards with gravity and body weight and there's no give for your opponent's head because it's being hit straight down into the mat which gyrates the back of the head vigorously.

The good thing is they don't have these knockdowns like boxing so once you're out, it's stopped... you don't keep getting hit after being concussed.

You cant really generate much power behind the punch though, compared to stand up. Dont reply telling me that you can generate power. We know that, but its not much compared to stand up.

too much stupidity in one article to be anything other than trolling/attention seeking from the writer

Heh ... well I guess Dana won't be getting a Christmas card from Phil!

Yet I bet Rothfield never talks about innocent children.being bombed via predator drones under orders from Obama. MMA is a sport of two consenting adults willing to fight one another in a sanctioned setting.

You cant really generate much power behind the punch though, compared to stand up. Dont reply telling me that you can generate power. We know that, but its not much compared to stand up.

When you're standing up your head bounces back. When you're on the bottom, your head is against the mat so there's no give. Don't reply asking me to explain it again. This is really simple.

Yet I bet Rothfield never talks about innocent children.being bombed via predator drones under orders from Obama. MMA is a sport of two consenting adults willing to fight one another in a sanctioned setting.

NO Predator Drones in the Octagon.... EVER! ... Even I have my limits. :icon_evil

"SINCE when is kicking, elbowing, kneeing, punching and stomping an opponent classified as sport?"

Since a few thousand years ago.

Stopped reading there.

another misogynist anti MMA blogger? They must have group meetings.

When you're standing up your head bounces back. When you're on the bottom, your head is against the mat so there's no give. Don't reply asking me to explain it again. This is really simple.

We need some sports science in here for this one. Most people dont get caught flush in GNP, anymore than they get rape choked to submission.

I take your point about the fixed position, but the levels of brain damage in MMA are tiny compared to boxing.

"SINCE when is kicking, elbowing, kneeing, punching and stomping an opponent classified as sport?"

Since a few thousand years ago.

Stopped reading there.

love the fact he added stomping cause without it the response becomes
'erm yeah kickboxing mate look it up'
5 secs on the internet would allow him to find stomping a downed opp isnt permitted under UFC rules so im thinking hes either trolling or a piss poor journalist.

We need some sports science in here for this one. Most people dont get caught flush in GNP, anymore than they get rape choked to submission.

I take your point about the fixed position, but the levels of brain damage in MMA are tiny compared to boxing.

or really so you did the research?

i get when ppl want to defend mma n say its not more dangerous than boxing.

but no need to go full retard n pretend mma is somehow safer

Back