U.S. considers parts of Mexico just as dangerous to visit as Syria and Afghanistan

Hmm interesting. I was definitely planning on an all inclusive and not leaving the resort. The only shady part was going through customs and dealing with corrupt officials and the hour or so ride from the airport to the resort. Maybe I've watched too much locked up abroad

I had no trouble at all going through customs. It was like any airport I've been in.

As for the hour or so ride to the hotel, you usually get a complimentary shuttle from your resort that picks you up. Usually included in the price. You just have to make sure that when you get out of the terminal you get in the right vehicle and ignore all the other guys trying to give you a ride. As long as you follow the instructions and get in your resort's bus or shuttle you're golden.

The actual road is extremely well maintained and patrolled every so often by what I guess is the Federal police or the army, I couldn't tell which. The shuttle goes something like 90 KPH the whole time, except when you have to go through Playa del Carmen.

The cleaning lady (or man) pocketed $60 from one of my bags when I was in Cancun. In her defense, I drank so much tequila that I actually clogged the toilet with puke (weak Mexican toilet) and they cleaned it out completely. So I figured they earned it.

Yeah, thats something that nobody is safe in Mexico and thats being safe from theft.

There was documentary on British TV this week. A female journalist was investigating the Cartels. One of her contacts was a local priest who had tried to make a stand against the Templars. He took the woman to the compound the Templars used as their HQ. Obviously, I don't know this guy from Adam, so he could have been talking complete bullshit. But some of the stories were fucking chilling; child soldiers forced to kill even younger children. One "intiation ritual" in which a four year old girl had her heart cut out and the head of the Cartel eat a piece of it before demanding his Sicaros did the same...

The journalist also visited the relatives of an entire family who were slaughtered by one of the Cartels. The husband and wife and all their children. Including a baby. They were found in a mass grave. Thing is, they were just an ordinary family. No one knows why they were killed.

Not going to lie; it brought the Feels:(
Can you send me the link to this documentary?

I had no trouble at all going through customs. It was like any airport I've been in.

As for the hour or so ride to the hotel, you usually get a complimentary shuttle from your resort that picks you up. Usually included in the price. You just have to make sure that when you get out of the terminal you get in the right vehicle and ignore all the other guys trying to give you a ride. As long as you follow the instructions and get in your resort's bus or shuttle you're golden.

The actual road is extremely well maintained and patrolled every so often by what I guess is the Federal police or the army, I couldn't tell which. The shuttle goes something like 90 KPH the whole time, except when you have to go through Playa del Carmen.

Came here to post this and it is the absolute correct advice. Cancun is a breeze. Been there a few times. Always the same, no issues at all. Also, been to Guadalajara and Queretero. No problem in either place.

My parents drove down for Christmas. Down to Guadalajara and over to Saltillo. They only drove at night and tried to caravan with as many people as possible but didn't have amy issues.

I wouldnt turn down an invitation to vacation in Sinaloa, i would turn down one to vacation in Guerrero or Michoacan.

Although i once spoke to someone from Michoacan and i said i was from Sonora and he said to me if i was afraid from all the violence.

And i was like WTF we dont have militias unlike Michoacan, so i guess it gets more skewed when you dont know a place and judge a place by the news.

Do you eat tacos and drink cerveza all day?

only ever been to Tijuana, shithole of a place, was glad to get back to the US.

Last edited:
Its a good advice, because in a lot of these states the lines between danger and tourism paradise are not that clear and you could walk into a wrong place with ease.

Years ago, mid-1990's, I was driving through Baltimore and took one wrong turn...

Back