U.S. considers parts of Mexico just as dangerous to visit as Syria and Afghanistan

Syria looked nice before the civil war.

And most of Mexico is still a nice place, still i would still issue the travel warnings to avoid people going there on their own.

Stick to whatever the travel agency offers you unless you know a local who can guide you through Mexico.

Post needs more of the word "still"

Also I think this seals the deal on my trip to riviera maya.

Also I think this seals the deal on my trip to riviera maya.

Riviera Maya is level 2, just like western europe.

Quintana Roo state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel in Quintana Roo state, which includes tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya.

These gangs thrive because government is weak as fuck.

Is it true the Knight Templar Cartel no longer exists? I heard it fell apart after it's leader was killed.

Is it true the Knight Templar Cartel no longer exists? I heard it fell apart after it's leader was killed.

They got stomped out when the self-defense militias were formed and thus created an international scandal which prompted the federal government to act, and the federal government only action of course is to take out the big names and let the cartels sort out the rest.

So their territory was taken over by rival cartels.

They got stomped out when the self-defense militias were formed and thus created an international scandal which prompted the federal government to act, and the federal government only action of course is to take out the big names and let the cartels sort out the rest.

So their territory was taken over by rival cartels.

There was documentary on British TV this week. A female journalist was investigating the Cartels. One of her contacts was a local priest who had tried to make a stand against the Templars. He took the woman to the compound the Templars used as their HQ. Obviously, I don't know this guy from Adam, so he could have been talking complete bullshit. But some of the stories were fucking chilling; child soldiers forced to kill even younger children. One "intiation ritual" in which a four year old girl had her heart cut out and the head of the Cartel eat a piece of it before demanding his Sicaros did the same...

The journalist also visited the relatives of an entire family who were slaughtered by one of the Cartels. The husband and wife and all their children. Including a baby. They were found in a mass grave. Thing is, they were just an ordinary family. No one knows why they were killed.

Not going to lie; it brought the Feels:(

There was documentary on British TV this week. A female journalist was investigating the Cartels. One of her contacts was a local priest who had tried to make a stand against the Templars. He took the woman to the compound the Templars used as their HQ. Obviously, I don't know this guy from Adam, so he could have been talking complete bullshit. But some of the stories were fucking chilling; child soldiers forced to kill even younger children. One "intiation ritual" in which a four year old girl had her heart cut out and the head of the Cartel eat a piece of it before demanding his Sicaros did the same...

The journalist also visited the relatives of an entire family who were slaughtered by one of the Cartels. The husband and wife and all their children. Including a baby. They were found in a mass grave. Thing is, they were just an ordinary family. No one knows why they were killed.

Not going to lie; it brought the Feels:(

Wouldnt know, but wouldnt surprise me either, the Templars had the Governor in its pocket so they literally could do whatever the fuck they want.

Have you ever watched the series Vikings? the level of normalcy when it comes to violence seems to have reached that level.

Some Blood Eagle level shit going on down there.

Wouldnt know, but wouldnt surprise me either, the Templars had the Governor in its pocket so they literally could do whatever the fuck they want.

Have you ever watched the series Vikings? the level of normalcy when it comes to violence seems to have reached that level.

Some Blood Eagle level shit going on down there.

Saw the first two seasons, so yeah, I know what you're referring to.

I'm surprised the Militias had such an impact; armed civilians against sicaros. I always thought the Cartels could just hire more guns.

According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel in Quintana Roo state, which includes tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya.

I hear ya and I know you're probably right but at the end of the day it comes down to why risk it?

Saw the first two seasons, so yeah, I know what you're referring to.

I'm surprised the Militias had such an impact; armed civilians against sicaros. I always thought the Cartels could just hire more guns.

These people thrive on the shadows, the militias turned local news into international news.

It made Mexico's federal government look bad in the international eyes and it risked the federal government monopoly on violence (citizens arming themselves).

So the federal government did what the federal government does and thats exert its monopoly on violence, by disarming and buying out the self-defense militias and then attacking the cartel that prompted the people to rise in arms.

Also the cartels did bought off some of the self-defense militias.

I hear ya and I know you're probably right but at the end of the day it comes down to why risk it?

You take a risk everytime you go out of your house, its up to you whether a risk is worth it or not.

I can assure you that far more tourists (like easily 100x more) have died (from violence) in the recent terrorist attacks in Western Europe than in the Yucatan peninsula.

These people thrive on the shadows, the militias turned local news into international news.

It made Mexico's federal government look bad in the international eyes and it risked the federal government monopoly on violence (citizens arming themselves).

So the federal government did what the federal government does and thats exert its monopoly on violence, by disarming and buying out the self-defense militias and then attacking the cartel that prompted the people to rise in arms.

Also the cartels did bought off some of the self-defense militias.

Yeah, that was part of the documentary too. The government recognised the Militias as a legitimate law enforcement agencie. But they had to allow the Army to test-fire and register their weapons, and take fingerprints to match with each gun. A lot of Militia guys were unhappy about that.

i'm genuinely worried that my sister, her husband and my young nephew are going to SoCal for a month.
MlVlVZj.jpg

Last edited:

I vacationed at the Riviera Maya a month ago. The place is beautiful and I can assure you that at no time did I feel unsafe.

If it will calm your nerves just do what I did and stick to one of the all inclusive resorts and you don't have to even deal with Cancún. They have tours that take you in air-conditioned buses from the resort to all the ruins and other tourist attractions.

It is so convenient that I'm considering going again in June*.

* Full disclosure: A big factor is the direct flight from Lima to Cancún. It's convenient and cheaper if I fly in Avianca. I looked into other similar resorts in the Caribbean (Punta Cana, Jamaica, places like that) and the price is around the same but I've spend considerably more time and money getting there.

I vacationed at the Riviera Maya a month ago. The place is beautiful and I can assure you that at no time did I feel unsafe.

If it will calm your nerves just do what I did and stick to one of the all inclusive resorts and you don't have to even deal with Cancún. They have tours that take you in air-conditioned buses from the resort to all the ruins and other tourist attractions.

It is so convenient that I'm considering going again in June*.

* Full disclosure: A big factor is the direct flight from Lima to Cancún. It's convenient and cheaper if I fly in Avianca. I looked into other similar resorts in the Caribbean (Punta Cana, Jamaica, places like that) and the price is around the same but I've spend considerably more time and money getting there.

Hmm interesting. I was definitely planning on an all inclusive and not leaving the resort. The only shady part was going through customs and dealing with corrupt officials and the hour or so ride from the airport to the resort. Maybe I've watched too much locked up abroad

Hmm interesting. I was definitely planning on an all inclusive and not leaving the resort. The only shady part was going through customs and dealing with corrupt officials and the hour or so ride from the airport to the resort. Maybe I've watched too much locked up abroad

Custom agents usually harrass and extort illegal immigrants coming from the South since they know they wont press charges.

What about Puebla?

Dont know Puebla myself, but the risk of earthquakes and volcanoes would make me reconsider living there.

The cleaning lady (or man) pocketed $60 from one of my bags when I was in Cancun. In her defense, I drank so much tequila that I actually clogged the toilet with puke (weak Mexican toilet) and they cleaned it out completely. So I figured they earned it.

Back