Tyrone Woodley:"Maia Told Me He Wanted A Break"

By 'I need a break', he probably said 'I need longer than 9 weeks between my last fight and my title shot'. Which isn't exactly unreasonable.

I throw shade on anything Woodley says.
Maia did fight a month ago. Tyron probably wants to rush Maia. Get him to rush back into a training camp for him not to peak on time.

Smart move on Woodley but a little greasy.

Lol.. another joke of a situation with a 'champ'.

This dude wants to leech of the UFC 214 PPVs from Jones vs DC 2.

And to get Maia on short training camp and while he is a little banged up from the recent fight he had.

Maia wants 2 months extra, that's it.. not a year or some other bullshit.

Such coward behavior and greedy and hypocrite behavior very non champion like.

Maia for sure deserves a break big time. But, Tyrone should not have to wait for him in regards to making some money in the meantime. Besides, one of the biggest issues now is Champs not defending their title in a timely manner (like Bisping).
True but Maia is the most worthy championship contender in ANY division.

If you want to restore the natural order of things - he must have his title shot next or else the whole thing in my opinion is a shit show. Which it already is i guess, titleshots are glorified popularity constants nowadays.

Maia should have never fought Masvidal, he didn't need to. The titleshot was wrapped up but the UFC forced him to because they didn't want him getting the shot. If that fight never happened Maia and Woodley could be booked right now. I blame the UFC for that and so should Woodley.

Woodley is a hypocritical douchebag...Did you expect anything less?

Not the same thing.

Woodley took a break as he waited to not lose his shot at the belt.

Maia has his shot and wants a break.

Did this really have to be explained to you? I hope not.

He fought basically a 15 minute grappling match nand took little to no damage.
True but also the weight cut and camp before Jorge takes its toll. He would have to hurry up and start only like a 5 week camp(On top of getting in his weight in order) soon because 214 is in July. That is really soon. It kinda makes me think Tyron is only saying that because he knows that is too soon to get ready to fight for a world title.

Last edited:
For those who don't understand why Woodley is 'unreasonably' rushing this.

Woodley salary vs. Maia if he fights...
@214 - $500,000 + $1.1million in PPV points = $1.6million (based on 800,000 buyrate)
@215 - $500,000 + $100,000 in PPV points = $600,000 (based on 300,000 buyrate)
@216 - $500,000 + $150,000 in PPV points = $650,000 (based on 350,000 buyrate)

So the difference between Woodley fighting in July compared to August or September is almost TRIPLE the pay for the exact same opponent.

Last edited:
Woodley's just trying to make money by being on a big card. Can't say I blame him, but his approach sucks.

I also get the feeling he's setting himself up with an excuse later for why he can turn down a Maia fight, 'oh, I already offered him a fight and he turned it down.'

I am a fan of both fighters so I see reasons and motives for both.

Maia just fought. He probably does need a little bit longer than UFC 214. Maybe UFC 215 or 216 would be better.

He's in no position to dictate when the fight takes place. I'm hesitant to take Woodley's word on this but if this is true, Maia can go back to the end of the line and take all the time he needs

Lol reading some responses in this topic, my god shedog has more idiots then I imagined.

Yea guys.. screw he just had a training camp, screw that he cut weight and he is like 40.. screw that he is a little banged up, screw that he will have a short camp.. etc etc.

"Just bleeed" no extra months for him.

I need to take note of this special posters I think we can sell them on anything the retardation is that strong in them.

<{anton}>

Last edited:
Woodley always keeps it real, so I believe him.

What is Maia doing? He's about to get a title shot and he's asking for time off. Not a good move imo.

That's why I don't believe it. Maia has been waiting for this for a long time. I think he knows taking a break would risk that title shot.

Tyron Woodley is mentally deranged/downright delusional, and is not to be trusted. I seriously doubt this happened.

Yep.

Tyron has shown us for the past several years that he is deeply irrational and completely dishonest in his presentation of "facts."

The guy also sat out for an absurd amount of time while whining for a title shot he never really deserved after a slew of losses.

Will never be a Cryin Woodley fan.

Yep.

Tyron has shown us for the past several years that he is deeply irrational and completely dishonest in his presentation of "facts."

The guy also sat out for an absurd amount of time while whining for a title shot he never really deserved after a slew of losses.

Will never be a Cryin Woodley fan.

I mention it all the time, but it still needs to be brought up. Tyron Woodley legitimately got upset that people didn't criticize Hunt/Bigfoot for gassing at the end of their fight the same way they criticized Kimbo/Dada5000. He implied there was a racial undertone, and also said the fights "ended the same way."

His opinions for eternity are stupid by default

True but also the weight cut and camp before Jorge takes its toll. He would have to hurry up and start only like a 5 week camp(On top of getting in his weight in order) soon because 214 is in July. That is really soon. It kinda makes me think Tyron is only saying that because he knows that is too soon to get ready to fight for a world title.
I think Tyron just wants to be on a big PPV card and stay active.

Didn't woodley "take a break" for one and a half years before fighting for the belt?
Besides, this is pretty low from TW. Mais noted he had previous commitments right after his fight with Masvidal.
So calling maia out AFTER Maia noted he had a previous commitment is pretty low IMHO.
Doesn't look like he did on his wiki

Maia said on the record he'd prefer the fight in October, and he said in the postfight after Masvidal that he wanted a break as well

Oh wow I'm never listen to post fight anymore except for big fights. What an idiot though. Although that Jorge fight was grueling as fuck they both gassed.

I mention it all the time, but it still needs to be brought up. Tyron Woodley legitimately got upset that people didn't criticize Hunt/Bigfoot for gassing at the end of their fight the same way they criticized Kimbo/Dada5000. He implied there was a racial undertone, and also said the fights "ended the same way."

His opinions for eternity are stupid by default

The guy is a pretty awful personality. I'm amazed fox continues to employ him, given that he's not talented as an on air speaker and is constantly muddying discussions with his complaints about race in circumstances where the topic isn't even relevant.

Fact is, the US today has given some sort of PC get out of jail card for all ethnicities other than whites to stand on street corners just screaming and raving as long as they claim racism has been maliciously set upon them.

As someone who has never judged people by anything beyond their actions and intents, and believes strongly in treating all people with respect and dignity, I find Tryon's crazed and endless rants on racism to be fucking nauseating. Good riddance once he retires.

You don’t think I need a break? I

This is funny. No Tyron, we don't think you need a break. His last fight was his break and if he disagrees and considers that work he is insane...

Back