Two hour marathon miss (but damn close)

i had a biscuit some bacon and bulletproof coffee. 2 pints of water too. Plenty of energy. "the wall" is a myth just like runners high and "just finishing is what matters" apparently.

Marathon/ultra marathon distance running is different because those runners have to adapt their bodies for a higher utilization of fats for energy as opposed to mostly glycolysis energy pathway. What happens to many people(who have not adapted) is that their glycogen stores will run out after around 2 hours of running at a good pace and they will "hit the wall". Its science not myth.

Marathon/ultra marathon distance running is different because those runners have to adapt their bodies for a higher utilization of fats for energy as opposed to mostly glycolysis energy pathway. What happens to many people(who have not adapted) is that their glycogen stores will run out after around 2 hours of running at a good pace and they will "hit the wall". Its science not myth.
that makes sense. I stick with a keto diet 90% of the time and use dextrose for glycogen to get through my HIIT sessions

I don't get your posts itt. What injury? Not exhausted? Previously you just said your legs gave out... that means exhaustion, right? So which one is it?

When a bunch of people tell you "STFU, you say something is easy yet you failed to do it, do you understand how stupid that makes you sound?", and yet you continue in the same direction unabated, don't you think it's time to take a step back and ask yourself, "Wait, I might be talking out of my ass here..." ?
i know my body well enough to know that I was on the verge of tearing a muscle. I could keep going and be be fucked up for at least a week, or stop at mile 19 and be sore for a few days.

How long you reckon you could last with a tore muscle?
Nevermind, guess you're not seeing the obvious or changing your mind anyway so...

Gotta disagree. I just attempted a marathon for the lulz and it wasn't that tough. I box, do sprint intervals occasionally and never run more than 3 miles at a time. I'm slacking on my road work these days and only run about 6 miles a week.

I made it just under 19 miles in 3:10 before my legs physically gave out. Had I actually trained even a little bit for today I could of finished. I wasn't tired or exhausted, but my legs weren't conditioned for the work and just gave out. It's not hard to run a marathon- start running and don't stop til it's over.
You didn't finish so how do you know it's not hard to run a marathon.

Ain't never gonna stop, are you?

At what point do you think this kind of reasoning stops working:
- I can run 19 miles w/o training so I can run 27 with training
- I can run 100 meters in 15 seconds so I can run in 10s with training
Have you ever looked at a chart where it was not a straight line but an asymptote? See where I'm going?

Or maybe your definition of hard is just based on a percentage of what the general population can accomplish?

26.2 is a fake, arbitrary distance. Just change the "official" distance and people will doing sub2 marathons in no time.

Ain't never gonna stop, are you?

At what point do you think this kind of reasoning stops working:
- I can run 19 miles w/o training so I can run 27 with training
- I can run 100 meters in 15 seconds so I can run in 10s with training
Have you ever looked at a chart where it was not a straight line but an asymptote? See where I'm going?

Or maybe your definition of hard is just based on a percentage of what the general population can accomplish?

I reckon I could finish a marathon too... Would not like to do 35 miles though.

Those are " self reported " times also , so much like the guys earning 26k a year or benching 180 don't pipe up in the " How much do make or bench " thread s , I'm guessing the self reported times will give a skewed result. I've trained with LOTS of people from mid 2 hour marathoners to 30 minute 5k people and can tell that the average motherfucker can't run for shit.
truth.

go watch a local 5k being ran for charity or funzies (normal people) and its full of people who are near death or who walk over half of it.

26.2 is a fake, arbitrary distance. Just change the "official" distance and people will doing sub2 marathons in no time.
only arbitrary if you don't want to finish in front of the queen's luxury box at the olympic stadium.

Running that distance takes some mental focus.
Get bored running 5K. How do you train for that type of distance, it's not like you can go run for hours every day.

Anything under 6 minute miles is impressive by Average Joe standards

Get bored running 5K. How do you train for that type of distance, it's not like you can go run for hours every day.

If you are running for a marathon you normally only do 1 'long' run a week in training (normally start at around 13 and finish around 20 in the programme)...I find it pretty relaxing and allows me to clear my mind as you aren't racing the clock on your long run you can chill out.

Its more the dedication to run 5-6 times a week for 3-4 months ramping up that scuppers a lot of people..1 tempo run, 3 or so steady ones of 6-10 miles, 1 long run and maybe an interval session

I think 5:XX is really impressive for a pace, 6:XX is good especially when getting to half marathons and above.

Get bored running 5K. How do you train for that type of distance, it's not like you can go run for hours every day .

have different volumes or distance for each session

long, short, medium or

2 longs 1 short 1 medium or 2 mediums 1 short 1 long, what ever works

change up the routes, go indoors ect

Its more the dedication to run 5-6 times a week for 3-4 months ramping up that scuppers a lot of people..1 tempo run, 3 or so steady ones of 6-10 miles, 1 long run and maybe an interval session

I guess high-level competitors run that often (I'm not sure, I don't know much about trail running), but the average guy who gets in shape at 40 yo and after 2 years or so of training wants to challenge himself and run a marathon, will likely blow his knees and maybe ankles running 5-6 times a week.

I have a friend who started doing trails last year, he's always been in shape and a good runner, and he only runs 3x a week. Now he's not a high-level athlete or nothing, but he just ran a 65 km trail in around 7 hours and he finished within the first quarter or close. He might run 20-30km as part of his training but only once a month, if that.

I guess high-level competitors run that often (I'm not sure, I don't know much about trail running), but the average guy who gets in shape at 40 yo and after 2 years or so of training wants to challenge himself and run a marathon, will likely blow his knees and maybe ankles running 5-6 times a week.

I have a friend who started doing trails last year, he's always been in shape and a good runner, and he only runs 3x a week. Now he's not a high-level athlete or nothing, but he just ran a 65 km trail in around 7 hours and he finished within the first quarter or close. He might run 20-30km as part of his training but only once a month, if that.

Anyone looking to run sub 3 hours for a marathon will be running at least 5 times a week. I run around 4 times a week and total around 30 miles a week and am nowhere near doing the mileage to give the marathon the time and effort the distance deserves. Someone in their 40s would start with c25k and then slowly build up as would everyone. Nobody starts running 6 times a week from scratch

I would normally run a 20k on a Sunday a sa steady one as part of my weekly training, some people however are just genetically gifted and ran run long distances with less training than the masses

What particularly blows my mind is when you break it down into 5k times. This is what I got from the Guardian for the first 30k:

5K: 14:14
10K: 28:21
15K: 42.34
20K: 56:49
25K: 1:11:03
30K: 1:25:20

Those are pretty much 14 minute 5ks. 5 in a row. I guess I can relate to it because I've tried to run 5ks.

14:14 - is a very solid 5,000m time alone. The rest are just ludicrous.

Back