Two hour marathon miss (but damn close)

Finishing one well ( which you didn't ) is difficult. You schleped along doing 10 minute miles and fancy yourself to have some relevant perspective ( which you dont)

You did the equivalent of bench pressing 100 lbs 3 times and then claiming 400lbs is no big deal.

If you're an adult you should know speaking with authority about shit when you have limited knowledge makes you look like a tool to those that do.
You sound salty. A runner like
You should keep a better balance on your electrolytes

400 m * 60 minutes / 1000 = 24km/h or 14,9 miles/h

Meanin that the pace is 24km/h to run 400 meters in 1 minute. That's fucking fast. not many regular people would be able to do that, especially outside.

400 meter run in 1min 14s when running at 21km/h. Which I was just sayin is doable for the general public (OK, maybe the general somewhat athletic public). Some guy mentioned that he could run 21km/h consistently around a 400m track and I was telling him that it wasn't all that impressive.

Every runner I know that has done marathons finds the first 20 or so miles easy then the last 6.2 is the difficult bit, General consensus is that 20 miles is the halfway mark

You quit quite early on in marathon terms and are still saying its easy...i struggle to comprehend that

Also running 74 second 400m isn't easy for 95%+ of people. I reckon i could just about get round and have been running for a couple of years (5'9 170ish lbs)

3:09 at 190lbs is very good man! High pace for such a long run! Must have been hard work getting to that point.

How did the knees respond to all that running? I am about 205lbs right now and I've just never been much of a runner. My knees can't handle the volume, and my running economy is shit. I've started doing some LISS sessions and I like it, but I don't know if I'd ever try to run a marathon.

Yeah , like I said it took a lot of time and suffering to get there ( and my times aren't even remarkable) , so it's easy to take a little umbrage at someone trying to minimize that casually.

I was fortunate to never have any real issues/ injuries, but its definitely very common among the high volume crowd. Slowly and methodically building your base is the best way to avoid that , and also knowing when to back off.....just like anything else. The more you run to , the more your mechanics/ economy will improve on my experience, barring some anatomical reason like being knock kneed or something.

I have no real desire to go that far again man
, mostly because it takes so much time to train for properly . It's easy for a single dude to get off work and go run 10 miles , not so much a married dad. Plus all the fit single chicks id meet training with running groups was a big perk then and would be a liability now!

I'm not even sure marathons are all that good for you anyhow , I think sprints once or twice a week mixed in with a couple 3 -5 mile runs are probably optimal for just being feel/look good fit.

400 meter run in 1min 14s when running at 21km/h. Which I was just sayin is doable for the general public (OK, maybe the general somewhat athletic public). Some guy mentioned that he could run 21km/h consistently around a 400m track and I was telling him that it wasn't all that impressive.
It's very fast for me. I don't know if I could do that even in 70 seconds, but again it's all relative. I have class with a girl who ran track, 200, 400 and 800 meters. Her best 400m is near the minute mark. She is insanely fast, she was one of the fastest youths in the country a few years ago. Never seen someone run like that.

In HS I ran sub 1min pretty regularly. I think my best was about 54-55 seconds. That's almost 20 seconds faster than a guy running 21 km / hr. The fastest HS student in Ontario (my province) ran a sub-50 second 400m. I still think 1:20 ish 400m is doable for people.

In HS I ran sub 1min pretty regularly. I think my best was about 54-55 seconds. That's almost 20 seconds faster than a guy running 21 km / hr. The fastest HS student in Ontario (my province) ran a sub-50 second 400m. I still think 1:20 ish 400m is doable for people.
That's really good NK.

Sure its doable for most active and athletically inclined non overweight males on the right side of 40....probably 30 realistically. You aren't considering just how feeble the typical person is physically though. Id wager if you picked a 100 random names out of a hat in Anytown , USA you'd get 5 people or less that could throw down 10 or 12 mph for a lap.

Using times a trained 140 lb 17year old that gravitated to track can run is useless in relation to the general public

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think you'd be able to pick many people at random (even if we narrowed it down to healthy 20-40 year olds) that could run that. With some training added in for sure though.

You're right, running for 400m at someone else's marathon pace is not so impressive.

What about a 2:15 800? A 4:35 mile ? That's " someones" marathon pace as well.

What exactly is the point where it goes from " easy " to you're delusional? I bet somewhere around 600 Meters , unless of course you get lapped by reality before then

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are " self reported " times also , so much like the guys earning 26k a year or benching 180 don't pipe up in the " How much do make or bench " thread s , I'm guessing the self reported times will give a skewed result. I've trained with LOTS of people from mid 2 hour marathoners to 30 minute 5k people and can tell that the average motherfucker can't run for shit.

Despite the problem of self reporting, I think 75s 400m is an achievabke goal for men <35yr in average shape. I didn't use to run at all and had bad cardio (didn't realise how bad until I started running) until the past few years and only got serious about setting some running goals (sprints and 1 mile time) more recently.

I recently found out that I have a problem with 'butt activation' and need to work on drills which explains why I suck at running/plyos in general despite being in 'gym shape'. A marathon is still on my bucket list and I'll probably walk part of the way and finishing in 6hrs. Oprah's time of ~4:30 sounds too formidable for me.

Despite the problem of self reporting, I think 75s 400m is an achievabke goal for men <35yr in average shape. I didn't use to run at all and had bad cardio (didn't realise how bad until I started running) until the past few years and only got serious about setting some running goals (sprints and 1 mile time) more recently.

I recently found out that I have a problem with 'butt activation' and need to work on drills which explains why I suck at running/plyos in general despite being in 'gym shape'. A marathon is still on my bucket list and I'll probably walk part of the way and finishing in 6hrs. Oprah's time of ~4:30 sounds too formidable for me.

Yep , definitely achievable and should be within reach of most people. The most issue I had was with people somehow thinking that the average soft as play doh office worker that constitute the typical everyman these days is gonna jump up and do it. What do you figure a 100 random 35 year old run a mile in .......10 minutes? Most people outside of adolescence just don't have much going on physically in my observation.

As a side note , most people will likely try this on a treadmill which is NOT the same thing as running outside. If you're gonna do that you need at least a 2% grade to make it a fair substitute.

If you're gonna do it man get on a program and follow it closely , maybe try to join a training team. You might be surprised at what you can do with properly applied training and progression.

Every runner I know that has done marathons finds the first 20 or so miles easy then the last 6.2 is the difficult bit, General consensus is that 20 miles is the halfway mark

You quit quite early on in marathon terms and are still saying its easy...i struggle to comprehend that

Also running 74 second 400m isn't easy for 95%+ of people. I reckon i could just about get round and have been running for a couple of years (5'9 170ish lbs)

This is true. At the marine corps marathon in DC I ran the first 20 in 2:39 and completely fell apart and finished in 3:34, total breakdown and bad pacing.

My best was 2:52 back in 2010. Finishing marathons is doable for lots of people but not really easy, I led a 4:45 pace group at rock n roll marathon in 2010 and the pace was easy but running on roads for 4:45 was exhausting. All the people in the group got their PR though and they were pumped.

Gotta disagree. I just attempted a marathon for the lulz and it wasn't that tough. I box, do sprint intervals occasionally and never run more than 3 miles at a time. I'm slacking on my road work these days and only run about 6 miles a week.

I made it just under 19 miles in 3:10 before my legs physically gave out. Had I actually trained even a little bit for today I could of finished. I wasn't tired or exhausted, but my legs weren't conditioned for the work and just gave out. It's not hard to run a marathon- start running and don't stop til it's over.

It's not hard but you DNF'd.....lol.

Squatting 600lbs isn't hard, I failed at 415 though.

It's not hard but you DNF'd.....lol.

Squatting 600lbs isn't hard, I failed at 415 though.
if I rolled off the couch and hit 415 without any training then it wouldn't be all that impressive either.

if I rolled off the couch and hit 415 without any training then it wouldn't be all that impressive either.

^

exhibit A in examples of what a person doubling down on stupid , because they have too much pride to admit they are talking out of their ass and above their pay grade looks like.

You should have summoned some of that pride when you slunk off the course while Margory blew past you.

You've had multiple people itt correctly and cogently point out why your conclusion is laughable. Maybe go crank out an effort/result that a prime aged male ( not a menopausal woman) should actually be proud off , and then revisit the topic.

Back