Two hour marathon miss (but damn close)

Anyone who can run a marathon deserves props. These guys deserve a fucking statue. I can't imagine how fucking terrible it must be to keep a 4:35 minute pace for that long. Takes a lot of grit

People talk about marathons like it's low intensity but it's not at least not by the standards of anyone but elite track and field athletes there's nothing low intensity about running 20 kilometers per hour for 2 hours straight.

Thats insane if you think about it

I agree. People tend to think of long distance running as low intensity, and I suppose it is, at least for the first few legs of your run. But when you hit the wall and reach the point where you're fighting for every step to keep going, that's pretty high intensity in my book. You're just running on balls at that point.

Gotta disagree. I just attempted a marathon for the lulz and it wasn't that tough. I box, do sprint intervals occasionally and never run more than 3 miles at a time. I'm slacking on my road work these days and only run about 6 miles a week.

I made it just under 19 miles in 3:10 before my legs physically gave out. Had I actually trained even a little bit for today I could of finished. I wasn't tired or exhausted, but my legs weren't conditioned for the work and just gave out. It's not hard to run a marathon- start running and don't stop til it's over.

Gotta disagree. I just attempted a marathon for the lulz and it wasn't that tough. I box, do sprint intervals occasionally and never run more than 3 miles at a time. I'm slacking on my road work these days and only run about 6 miles a week.

I made it just under 19 miles in 3:10 before my legs physically gave out. Had I actually trained even a little bit for today I could of finished. I wasn't tired or exhausted, but my legs weren't conditioned for the work and just gave out. It's not hard to run a marathon- start running and don't stop til it's over.
It is hard to run a marathon. That's why you couldn't finish.

But yes you could have if you had the necessary preparation. But it still is quite a feat.

It is hard to run a marathon. That's why you couldn't finish.

But yes you could have if you had the necessary preparation. But it still is quite a feat.
if I can get 19 miles with 0 preparation, how hard can it Be?

if I can get 19 miles with 0 preparation, how hard can it Be?
It's more difficult for some than others. My guess is that you have phenomenal cardio and/or you have some running talent at long distances.

It's more difficult for some than others. My guess is that you have phenomenal cardio and/or you have some running talent at long distances.
youre making me blush.

Also I can't bench press my own body weight. I probably got some latent running genetics at 5'10 and 148lbs

that's over a minute for 400m which is definitely doable for the general public.
pretty sure no member of the general public who is not at least competing in athletics as a hobby will be running a 1min 400.

pretty sure no member of the general public who is not at least competing in athletics as a hobby will be running a 1min 400.

21Km/h is over 1 minute. I'm no math expert. Does anyone have a number here?

You were on course to run a time that a 45 year old weekend warrior woman would consider decent and you still quit before you got to the hard part . Go run one in 3 hours or so and get back in here and share your experience.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying.aspx

edit: 50-54 year old woman

Last edited by a moderator:

a hair under 70 seconds, it's. a a good clip that most tubbys would struggle with for a quarter mile. How many dude bros at the gym could run 13+ mph or 21kmh on a treadmill for a over a minute? I'm guessing a minority. It's obviously not an elite time or anything, but most people arent gonna hop of the PlayStation and knock that out with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
The average crossfitter (men) 400m is over a minute.
http://www.cebul.la/how-fast-do-crossfitters-run-the-400m-sprint/

Just for fun - a pregnant track runner completed 800m in 2:32.
Those are " self reported " times also , so much like the guys earning 26k a year or benching 180 don't pipe up in the " How much do make or bench " thread s , I'm guessing the self reported times will give a skewed result. I've trained with LOTS of people from mid 2 hour marathoners to 30 minute 5k people and can tell that the average motherfucker can't run for shit.

It wasn't tough, but you quit before finishing? I get you didn't specificly train for it, but still.

You ran 19 miles, or 30,57 km. It took you 190 minutes. That makes: 30,57 km / 190/60 = a 9,7 km/h pace for three hours and 10 minutes. Or about a 6 mile/h pace. That's not bad considering!

Yeah you definitely have affinity for it, I mean, I couldn't run that long, but then again BW and bodytype matters.

400 m * 60 minutes / 1000 = 24km/h or 14,9 miles/h

Meanin that the pace is 24km/h to run 400 meters in 1 minute. That's fucking fast. not many regular people would be able to do that, especially outside.

if a 50-54 year old woman can do it then why is finishing one impressive at all?

Finishing one well ( which you didn't ) is difficult. You schleped along doing 10 minute miles and fancy yourself to have some relevant perspective ( which you dont)

You did the equivalent of bench pressing 100 lbs 3 times and then claiming 400lbs is no big deal.

If you're an adult you should know speaking with authority about shit when you have limited knowledge makes you look like a tool to those that do.

It wasn't tough, but you quit before finishing? I get you didn't specificly train for it, but still.

You ran 19 miles, or 30,57 km. It took you 190 minutes. That makes: 30,57 km / 190/60 = a 9,7 km/h pace for three hours and 10 minutes. Or about a 6 mile/h pace. That's not bad considering!

Yeah you definitely have affinity for it, I mean, I couldn't run that long, but then again BW and bodytype matters.

400 m * 60 minutes / 1000 = 24km/h or 14,9 miles/h

Meanin that the pace is 24km/h to run 400 meters in 1 minute. That's fucking fast. not many regular people would be able to do that, especially outside.

My best marathon was a 3:09 about 7:11 pace or 8.3 mph I think) @ 190 lbs . It took me a couple years of hard/concerted training to get there , 50 mile weeks, 20 mile long runs, tempo runs , going out and running 5:50 mile repeats x 5 , track workouts ect ect. This fucking plodder ( who should be killing it at 148 lbs ) is gonna claim off a failure that " it aint that hard ) just lo fucking l !

My best marathon was a 3:09 about 7:11 pace or 8.3 mph I think) @ 190 lbs . It took me a couple years of hard/concerted training to get there , 50 mile weeks, 20 mile long runs, tempo runs , going out and running 5:50 mile repeats x 5 , track workouts ect ect. This fucking plodder ( who should be killing it at 148 lbs ) is gonna claim off a failure that " it aint that hard ) just lo fucking l !
3:09 at 190lbs is very good man! High pace for such a long run! Must have been hard work getting to that point.

How did the knees respond to all that running? I am about 205lbs right now and I've just never been much of a runner. My knees can't handle the volume, and my running economy is shit. I've started doing some LISS sessions and I like it, but I don't know if I'd ever try to run a marathon.

Back