Two hour marathon miss (but damn close)

This is true. At the marine corps marathon in DC I ran the first 20 in 2:39 and completely fell apart and finished in 3:34, total breakdown and bad pacing.

My best was 2:52 back in 2010. Finishing marathons is doable for lots of people but not really easy, I led a 4:45 pace group at rock n roll marathon in 2010 and the pace was easy but running on roads for 4:45 was exhausting. All the people in the group got their PR though and they were pumped.

2:52 is a very solid time dude!

Had a similar experience in my second . Was trying to get a BQ time and it was a little too hot and just not the right day. Instead of readjusting my goal accordingly I tried hang on to that pace like a noob is prone to do and the wheels fell off around 20. I think I was right on the edge of heat exhaustion , was seeing spots and stuff.

So much of running them well is strategic and knowing exactly where that fine line between too much and to little effort it is and walking that tightrope between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
2:52 is a very solid time dude!

Had a similar experience in my second . Was trying to get a BQ time and it was a little too hot and just not the right day. Instead of readjusting my goal accordingly I tried hang on to that pace like a noob is prone to do and the wheels fell off around 20. I think I was right on the edge of heat exhaustion , was seeing spots and stuff.

So much of running them well is strategic and knowing exactly where that fine line between too much and to little effort it is and walking that tightrope between the two.

PIcking a fast course helps too. In the USA, Tucson and CIM are good bets for a PR. My first sub 3 was at Tucson (2:58).

Boston is an awesome course, you should definitely go for a BQ and do it at least once.

PIcking a fast course helps too. In the USA, Tucson and CIM are good bets for a PR. My first sub 3 was at Tucson (2:58).

Boston is an awesome course, you should definitely go for a BQ and do it at least once.

I BQ'd in 2009 but didn't sign up in time. I wasn't qued into the fact that registration filled up in 3 hours , I guess thats why they changed the times

I BQ'd in 2009 but didn't sign up in time. I wasn't qued into the fact that registration filled up in 3 hours , I guess thats why they changed the times

I qualified for it 6 times but only went twice. I just lived so far away and putting down that sort of cash for car rentals, hotels close to the finish, plane tickets and all that just didn't appeal to me after awhile.

I'd like to qualify again at some point in the next few years and go to it but with the job I have now, there's not much opportunity for the type of training I'd want to do to BQ. It's great here for trail running but not so much for getting ready for a fast marathon.

I qualified for it 6 times but only went twice. I just lived so far away and putting down that sort of cash for car rentals, hotels close to the finish, plane tickets and all that just didn't appeal to me after awhile.

I'd like to qualify again at some point in the next few years and go to it but with the job I have now, there's not much opportunity for the type of training I'd want to do to BQ. It's great here for trail running but not so much for getting ready for a fast marathon.

Yeah , it's definitely not a cheap weekend, but for me it not TOO bad since I'm in VA.

My BQ race was my third and last Marathon. I switched jobs / moved / got married right around then and stopped training very seriously. I wish I had kept it up for a little longer and made a good attempt at cracking 3 hours , sometimes I still think about it , but now I'm closing in on 40 , have waaay more obligations and about 20 extra pounds of fat and muscle on me now. Not sure how feasible itd be at this point.

I'll bet Alaska has some great trails , and running with that super redhawk on your hip can only make you faster!

^

exhibit A in examples of what a person doubling down on stupid , because they have too much pride to admit they are talking out of their ass and above their pay grade looks like.

You should have summoned some of that pride when you slunk off the course while Margory blew past you.

You've had multiple people itt correctly and cogently point out why your conclusion is laughable. Maybe go crank out an effort/result that a prime aged male ( not a menopausal woman) should actually be proud off , and then revisit the topic.
but bud there was no course or other runners I was doing it alone. Seems like a dick move to shut down a big chunk of a city so I can win a T-shirt, a banana and one of those 26.2 stickers.

And I thought we were discussing finishing a marathon not being difficult. You're moving the goal post by adding time brackets to it.

http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/06/a...eakest-slowest-and-smallest-human-being-ever/

Those guys are amazing to keep a pace like that. Currently training for a half marathon in December and hopefully a full next year. I would be happy with a 2.5 hour half and a 5 hour full. Hoping to be able to up my calories enough and be smart enough to keep or improve my lifting numbers in that time as well.

Here is a powerlifter that runs marathons, ultra, and triathlons. Anyone know anymore about him?

but bud there was no course or other runners I was doing it alone. Seems like a dick move to shut down a big chunk of a city so I can win a T-shirt, a banana and one of those 26.2 stickers.

And I thought we were discussing finishing a marathon not being difficult. You're moving the goal post by adding time brackets to it.

It IS " difficult ", it's not impossible obviously, but its something that you generally have to train diligently for to do ( hence the part where you broke down )......let alone well. If it wasn't " difficult " why'd you quit exactly ? Just trying to figure out what your threshold for " difficult " is.

Seems to me that your comments/ attitude about that 70% of a marathon run are mainly a roundabout way of sucking your own dick , stroking that ego. Running 19 out the gate is great , I just fail to see the need to extrapolate that into the point you're trying to make..........especially since you quit.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a 2:15 800? A 4:35 mile ? That's " someones" marathon pace as well.

What exactly is the point where it goes from " easy " to you're delusional? I bet somewhere around 600 Meters , unless of course you get lapped by reality before then

All I said was, 400m at this guy's marathon pace would be easy. I am so sorry if that has ruffled your feathers.

It IS " difficult ", it's not impossible obviously, but its something that you generally have to train diligently for to do ( hence the part where you broke down )......let alone well. If it wasn't " difficult " why'd you quit exactly ? Just trying to figure out what your threshold for " difficult " is.

Seems to me that your comments/ attitude about that 70% of a marathon run are mainly a roundabout way of sucking your own dick , stroking that ego. Running 19 out the gate is great , I just fail to see the need to extrapolate that into the point you're trying to make..........especially since you quit.

You get people who cannot run 10k completing marathons after 4-6 months of consistent training, so DoctorTaco would find it incredibly easy by comparison.

i quit because of i injury. I think had I trained "diligently" for a few weeks I would of been fine. I wasn't exhausted or even tired.

My threshold for difficult is something that seems impossible at first without training. This doesn't qualify

I wonder if their energy systems is so far sided (aerobic and parasympathetic tone) with all the endurance they put in to the point were it's difficult elevating their resting HR (due to low power output) and at the same their HR recovery is at god like levels.

i quit because of i injury. I think had I trained "diligently" for a few weeks I would of been fine. I wasn't exhausted or even tired.

My threshold for difficult is something that seems impossible at first without training. This doesn't qualify

You got " injured" because your tender little legs weren't conditioned appropriately due to lack of training, and thus it was impossible for you wasn't it?

You also fail to account for your body types role in this. At 5'10 and less than 150lbs you basically have the build of the prototypical long distance runner . Assuming you are an active male under 40 of that size you SHOULD be able to cover a decent amount of ground.

Conversly , I can bench press 300 lbs with just a basic weightlifting routine because my body is fairly suited to it . I dont make any great effort to be strong ( yes I realize a 300 lb bench isn't that strong for serious lifters) , it just comes relativly naturually to me with modest effort . I wouldn't call that " easy" for the general public though , because there are lots of women , elderly and small people out there. How would you who admittedly can't bench your weight classify benching 1.5 times your bodyweight ?

You see what's happening here is that you have a very you centric notion of the world and your too self orientated to realize it . That attitude is exceedingly typical of an arrogant young man with a narrow world view , you'll probably grow out of it.

All I said was, 400m at this guy's marathon pace would be easy. I am so sorry if that has ruffled your feathers.

You know the drill, post a video of you knocking out a 67 second 400 ON THE TRACK or gtfo. Not saying you can't, it's certainly possible and not an elite time , but I tend to error on the side of " you're full of shit " concerning flippant claims of physical prowess from the anonymous....sorry.

You got " injured" because your tender little legs weren't conditioned appropriately due to lack of training, and thus it was impossible for you wasn't it?

You also fail to account for your body types role in this. At 5'10 and less than 150lbs you basically have the build of the prototypical long distance runner . Assuming you are an active male under 40 of that size you SHOULD be able to cover a decent amount of ground.

Conversly , I can bench press 300 lbs with just a basic weightlifting routine because my body is fairly suited to it . I dont make any great effort to be strong ( yes I realize a 300 lb bench isn't that strong for serious lifters) , it just comes relativly naturually to me with modest effort . I wouldn't call that " easy" for the general public though , because there are lots of women , elderly and small people out there. How would you who admittedly can't bench your weight classify benching 1.5 times your bodyweight ?

You see what's happening here is that you have a very you centric notion of the world and your too self orientated to realize it . That attitude is exceedingly typical of an arrogant young man with a narrow world view , you'll probably grow out of it.
that makes sense- marathons are really tough but because of my scotch/Irish/German genetics I can do one with minimum training.

that makes sense- marathons are really tough but because of my scotch/Irish/German genetics I can do one with minimum training.

You haven't " done one yet " , bro .You ran the easy part of one and tapped out when things were about to get interesting.

Your WASP background has fuck all to do with it , your small stature has EVERYTHING to do with it.

You see , everybody talks about " the wall " , and they always talk about it being in the same place , around 20 miles. That's because that's about how far and long the energy a human has readily available in their muscles to carry them last . It's neccesary to train ( by running long distances) the body to switch tanks so to speak to be able to continue effectively much past that.

Ive never heard someone boast so doggedly about how easy it is to do something that they've not only never done , but actually tried to do and failed.

HA!

You haven't " done one yet " , bro .You ran the easy part of one and tapped out when things were about to get interesting.

Your WASP background has fuck all to do with it , your small stature has EVERYTHING to do with it.

You see , everybody talks about " the wall " , and they always talk about it being in the same place , around 20 miles. That's because that's about how far and long the energy a human has readily available in their muscles to carry them last . It's neccesary to train ( by running long distances) the body to switch tanks so to speak to be able to continue effectively much past that.

Ive never heard someone boast so doggedly about how easy it is to do something that they've not only never done , but actually tried to do and failed.

HA!
i had a biscuit some bacon and bulletproof coffee. 2 pints of water too. Plenty of energy. "the wall" is a myth just like runners high and "just finishing is what matters" apparently.

i had a biscuit some bacon and bulletproof coffee. 2 pints of water too. Plenty of energy. "the wall" is a myth just like runners high and "just finishing is what matters" apparently.

aaaaaaand you didn't......derp

You know the drill, post a video of you knocking out a 67 second 400 ON THE TRACK or gtfo. Not saying you can't, it's certainly possible and not an elite time , but I tend to error on the side of " you're full of shit " concerning flippant claims of physical prowess from the anonymous....sorry.

ok. I don't think you can run either...

I don't get your posts itt. What injury? Not exhausted? Previously you just said your legs gave out... that means exhaustion, right? So which one is it?

When a bunch of people tell you "STFU, you say something is easy yet you failed to do it, do you understand how stupid that makes you sound?", and yet you continue in the same direction unabated, don't you think it's time to take a step back and ask yourself, "Wait, I might be talking out of my ass here..." ?

Back