TrinitronMaximum's Training Log

Smolov Day 4

Squat 10x3x125 - this was fucking brutal! I almost failed the first set! I think my smolov experience is about to come to an untimely end...

After this I tried doing some power shrugs with 100kg. I forgot my chalk though, so it was pretty tough to hang on to. I probably did ~20 singles.

I'm a bit worried about my squat form though. For almost every set, I would get stuck about halfway up on the last rep, fight it, and slowly push it up. I've always heard that a good max lift should look effortless, without any excessive sticking points like this. Every video I've seen of expert lifters just confirm this.

Does anyone know why I have these sticking points, and what I can do to fix them?

Smolov - Day 5

Squat 4x9 @ 112.5 - failed the last rep of the last set . i'm going to continue with the plan as usual for wednesday though. I think I need to work on squeezing my ass and staying tight

Push Press 4x3 @ 75

Farmer's walks 2lap/1.5lap @ 40 - each lap has 2 turns. I'm going to have to find a way to add weight I think...

Ugh that was a big long break. I'm going to try a routine with a little less pressure (2-3 days a week). Here's today:

DL - 4x3 @ 150 - After I finished my last set I realized this was probably way too much weight (for me). I'll pay for it tomorrow

Push Ups 20/15 @ 2 plate elevated (hands)

OH Squats 18xbar, 20xBW - going to do a lot of form work I should have started doing a while ago, so I plan to do lots of OH squats and Front Squats

The first few workouts on this routine:

Day 1
S 8x2 @ 40kg
C 8x1 @ 45kg (forgot to do jerks this day)
FS 5x5 @ 40kg
PP 5x3 @ 95

Felt good today, I supersetted the FS and PP.

Day 2
C+J 8x1 @ 50kg
FS 5x5 @ 55kg (ss)
J 5x3 @ 100 (ss)
S 8x2 @ 40kg

Day 3
J 110 (ss)
FS 55kg (ss)
S 40kg
C+J 50kg

Everything felt awesome today. Afterwards I'm having some posterior shoulder pain. I feel this when I clean a lot. I'm going to keep with it and see if it goes away, as well as doing a more extensive shoulder warmup.

Day 4
FS 57.5kg
S 40kg
C+J 50kg
J 110

Got a little too drunk this weekend, and it showed in the workout. Snatches were terrible, and I missed lifts on over half the sets (this is the same weight I rocked on Day 3). Cleans were easier, but my form was still off and I couldn't coordinate the pulls very well.

Welcome back, dude

Have you been lifting for the last few months?

^No, it's been about 2 months. After my Smolov attempt, I didn't even want to go to the gym for a while, so I just did other GPP stuff.

Do you ever go to the WUSTL gym anymore?

Day 5
C+J 8x1 @ 52.5kg
S 8x2 @ 40kg
FS 5x5 @ 57.5kg
J 5x3 @ 110

Felt pretty good today. Cleans are coming up easy - maybe too easy. I don't know if I'm getting enough hip drive. First set of snatches was PERFECT! I pulled myself right down under the bar and it felt great. Still managed to get them up from there, until set 7 where I had some balance problems.

Day 6
J 5x3 @ 115
S 8x2 @ 40k
C+J 8x1 @ 52.5k
FS 5x5 @ 57.5k

Working on coordinating leg drive with arms in the jerk. Also keeping tight at the bottom of lifts.

Day 7
S 8x2 @ 42.5k
C+J 8x1 @ 52.5k
J 4x3 @ 115
FS 4x5 @ 57.5k

Didn't quite get to finish today. Apparently they shut down the weight room so that they could replace all the weight machines and dumbbell racks. The freeweight area is off to the side and the movers said they didn't mind if I just worked out in there. Of course, near the end of my workout, the manager comes up and tells me to leave. I tell him I only have 5 minutes left and he goes "you have..(looks at watch) three and a half minutes to get out of here". I don't know where he came up with that, but anyway I had to leave :(.

Was having some balance issues on snatches. I watched through the Tommy Kono videos on YouTube and was trying to fix my form. I was able to coordinate my hip drive and shrug on the cleans, which made the bar fly up in front of my face. At this point I was sitting down at the bottom of my squat, and the bar came back down and crunched me :p. Going to increase the weight a little bit next time.

Hopefully I can start putting up some videos!

Do you ever go to the WUSTL gym anymore?

I will be there a couple of days a week. I'm teaching on Monday so I'll bench at school on Monday or Tuesday. I'll be there to squat on Sunday if the gym is open.:icon_conf

^^ I'm sure you'll love our fancy new equipment. It's like a forest of shiny new machines. Of course they didn't buy a single new barbell or bumper plate.

Day 8
C+J 8x1 @ 55k
S 8x2 @ 42.5k
J 5x3 @ 115
FS 5x5 @ 57.5k

Felt slow on snatches today. I need to really focus on pulling myself under the bar. Jerks are kind of painful on the knee that moves forward. Should the front foot move back or the back foot forward?

I took a video of a clean and one of a snatch today. Can't find my video uploader, but they look significantly better than the earlier videos I have up on YouTube. Of course, I'm using significantly less weight...

Day 9
FS 5x5 @ 60k
S 8x2 @ 42.5k
C+J 8x1 @ 55k
J 5x3 @ 115

Uncoordinated on snatches and cleans today. Jerks felt more natural.

Day 10
S 8x2 @ 45k
C+J 8x1 @ 55k
FS 5x5 @ 60k
PP (Push Press) 5x3 @ 100

Switched push press for jerks today. I think I have the jerk form down well enough that I can just do PP for strength for a while. Took some videos to watch form (still can't upload yet).

I'm not getting down as quickly as I hoped on cleans and snatches. I drop very quickly down to about powerlifting legal depth, and then it slows down as I settle into a full ATG position. I'm not sure if this is expected, but I'm a little wary about bouncing all the way down into that bottom position.

Need to remember to keep on my heels! I'm going to buy some olympic lifting shoes over thanksgiving, so that should help with form. Had a couple close calls on snatches where I came forward a few steps while I was rising ;)

where dem sexy vids?

but on a serious note... do you have any oly form clips up?

Day 11
PP 5x3 @ 110
C+J 8x1 @ 55k
S 8x2 @ 45k
FS 5x5 @ 60k

Did an incredibly thorough warmup today, probably 20 easy reps for the clean and the snatch. Form was ok, I didn't get much sleep last night at all, and I felt uncoordinated. The snatches felt heavy.

On the plus side, I got a bunch of videos!

Clean and Jerk

(Sets 3, 5, 8) These look pretty good. Problems I'm noticing:
Bar is coming up in a semicircle
My feet come off the ground, and I'm on the balls of my feet instead of the heels
My feet come up on my toes again after rising out of the squat
I'm not whipping my elbows under as quickly as I could be
I don't maintain back arch when I land in the hole
My back foot is off the ground when I land in the jerk (don't know if this is a problem or not)

<object width="425" height="344"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CQaWmcYNvTU"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CQaWmcYNvTU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"> </embed> </object>

Snatch

(Sets 3, 8) Like I said, these felt surprisingly heavy today. Problems I'm noticing:
The semicircle as the bar comes over my head is very noticeable here. It's almost like I'm rotating around the bar. I'll have to work on pulling and dropping vertically.
My feet come off the ground again onto my toes

<object width="425" height="344"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7A3M_lrWp4"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7A3M_lrWp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"> </embed> </object>

Front Squats
(Set 3) Felt nice and easy so I breezed through all 5 sets. Had some battery life left so I took the video. Problems I'm noticing:
Small buttwink at the bottom

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/peW2gMOy2dA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/peW2gMOy2dA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Enjoy! Comments/advice are greatly appreciated.

nice depth on all lifts! ... very explosive. I'm sure you will iron out any form problems as you progress... I plan on doing the same :)...

P.S. I hate you and your oly platform and bumper plates...

I have to do these with the iron :-(

^^ I'm sure you'll love our fancy new equipment. It's like a forest of shiny new machines. Of course they didn't buy a single new barbell or bumper plate.

I have not been to the gym since the new equipment went in. I'll have that pleasure on Friday around 2:30.

Nice lifting and videos.

PS: Buy some oly shoes.

Thanks guys!

Oly shoes for sure, I just don't know where to find them. You should come closer to noon - I'll be in there before my class at 2.

adidas Weightlifting shoes

this site has some of the pricey ones... but it has some various ones on clearance... not sure what is on clearance ATM or what sizes but those change every so often..

I think I will just be buying the ironwork II's in about two weeks... (I am not a rich man lol)

also... did I mention I wish I had an oly platform and bumper weights? I did... didn't I...

I hate you

adidas Weightlifting shoes

this site has some of the pricey ones... but it has some various ones on clearance... not sure what is on clearance ATM or what sizes but those change every so often..

I think I will just be buying the ironwork II's in about two weeks... (I am not a rich man lol)

also... did I mention I wish I had an oly platform and bumper weights? I did... didn't I...

I hate you

I'll be honest - being able to drop the weights makes olympic lifting about twice as fun :p. And to think I was upset my school didn't buy us new bumper plates when they renovated the weight room...

As for shoes, that site certainly has a lot of good-looking ones. I just don't think I can bring myself to buy a $100+ pair without even trying them on. I definitely wouldn't do it for running shoes - some shoe brands are just uncomfortable for my feet. I'm going to have to find a place nearby that sells shoes where I can go wear them first.

Day 12
C+J 8x1 @ 57.5k
S 8x2 @ 45k
PP 5x3 @ 110
FS 5x5 @ 60k

Felt tired and slow today; knees, elbows, and shoulders a little painful too. Might be due to the fact that I haven't got much sleep the past few days :/.

I checked it, and my warmup does indeed take well over half of my total workout time. It's probably worth putting down what I do, so unless otherwise indicated, this is what I do before every warmup:
20 BW squats
20 BW inclined pushups (real pushups are too hard for me to do 20 :( )
Leg swings and light rotator cuff work
5-10 slow each snatch/clean* with bar plus light wooden placers (start off the ground VERY slow for the first few, then increase speed so that the last one is at full speed)
2 sets of 5-10 SOHP with the bar (do these after cleans)
~5 hang snatch with bar
~10 OH squats with bar

before work sets of snatch/clean 2x bar+20, 2xbar+30, 2xbar+40 ... begin workout

*I finish my warmup practicing whichever lift will come first in the workout (i.e. today i finished with slow bar cleans)

I will add some broomstick work whenever I get around to buying one...

Back