TrinitronMaximum's Training Log

well... that is definitely a warm-up... but I guess if you don't have any real warm-up sets in your workout then your warm-up needs to be a bit longer.

My god - the gym sucks; the new equipment also sucks.

I got a pair of oly shoes on e-bay. You might also want to check out Wichita Falls Weightlifting or adidas Weightlifting shoes (they have some cheap close-outs).

I don't know of anyplace in St. Louis that sells oly shoes, but you want to check out a couple weightlifting clubs in the area to see if they keep shoes in stock.

Snatch comments:

- Arms look like they bend to early
- Use you legs more standing up - you need more forward lean when the bar is at/around your knees, you shoulders need to be well over the bar at this point
- You appear to be bouncing the bar off your hips, this makes the bar swing out

Snatch comments:

- Use you legs more standing up - you need more forward lean when the bar is at/around your knees, you shoulders need to be well over the bar at this point

When he holds the bar overhead, why does he hold the snatch over his shoulder blades but the C&J looks like it's directly over his head? Is this correct protocol? I am a newb and thought I would ask.

When he holds the bar overhead, why does he hold the snatch over his shoulder blades but the C&J looks like it's directly over his head? Is this correct protocol? I am a newb and thought I would ask.

Yeah, I think that is correct. I guess it has to do with the fact that the torso is more upright in the jerk. You want to have the bar exactly in your center of gravity. With the upright position in the jerk, this happens to be somewhere above your head. With the snatch, you center of gravity is somewhat behind you head, because of the torso forward lean. Assuming you are flexible enough, you can get a feel for where the bar should be in the snatch if you just sit in the overhead position with an empty bar. Some people, especially Chines lifters have a tilted torso in the jerk - in this case the bar will be behind the head.

Snatch comments:

I'll keep working on getting over the bar in the beginning - will hamstring flexibility affect this?

I'm definitely bouncing the bar off my hips, sometimes I hit it too hard and it actually hurts lol. I think I am focusing too much on thrusting my hips forward instead of straightening up.

If I don't bend my arms, the bar will have to swing out to come up, right? Or do you mean I should keep them straight just until the vertical path of the bar causes them to bend?

Thanks for your comments, I will post more vids this week.

Unlucky Day 13

FS 5x5 @ 62.5k
S 8x2 @ 45k
C+J 8x1 @ 57.5k
PP 5x3 @ 110

Today I worked on getting as far over the bar as possible. I really felt it in my lower back - not sure if this is supposed to happen.

I also worked on not bumping the bar with my hips so much on the snatch. All the new techniques really threw off my balance, and the first 3 or 4 sets I was having lots of trouble. One time I actually dropped the bar on the top of my head, which made a nie thunk and was quite painful.

Cleans also felt slow and weak today - this might be due in part to putting front squats first.

If I don't bend my arms, the bar will have to swing out to come up, right? Or do you mean I should keep them straight just until the vertical path of the bar causes them to bend?

Yes. Maybe you can also try to touch the bar lower, i.e. don't try to brush you hips, but rather mid thigh. I always thought snatches should touch at hip level. But today my coach (3rd session or so), told me to touch lower.

^ Hmm I've always read the bar should touch at hip level, but I will give it a try touching lower. How often do you meet with your coach/how did you find one?

There's a weightlifting club in a nearby town that I didn't know of until recently. I've been going there 3 times per week the last two weeks. I don't have an individual coach, but get coaching by whoever is there. The last 3 times it was this old Russian guy.

Yeah dude... I think I need to change up my routine a bit and still do C&J's on saturday but during the week I should split them up... because my front squat is strong (unfortunately I am a vagina and it is stronger than my back squat). So my clean is strong... but my jerk can't keep up with it ya know. I mean cleaning the 175 is an easy power clean... but the jerk is actually quite difficult so during the week I may switch it up to clean heavy... then jerk a lower weight... then do the highest weight I can jerk for the weekend C&J's.

As for the jerks... that is another reason why I want to seperate them during the week. I have only been doing the typical strong leg front jerks... but I SHOULD do both and if I do jerks alone sometime then I would get a chance to switch them up...

Day 14
S 8x2 @ 47.5k
C+J 8x1 @ 57.5k
FS 5x5 @ 62.5k
PP 5x3 @ 110

Snatches felt pretty good and easy today. Cleans felt slow and awkward again, I'm not sure why. I need to make sure to keep the tightness at the bottom of my lifts.

Have some vids coming up as soon as YouTube allows it.

Vids as promised:

Snatch

It looks like I'm getting over the bar more, what do you think take?
I also am getting the hang of not bumping the bar with my hips, and you can definitely notice less arc in the bar's path.

Sets 3 and 8:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDRDYt2J6DU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDRDYt2J6DU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clean and Jerk

Feeling unsteady on the jerks. I also seem to be losing tightness at the bottom of my cleans sometimes.

Sets 3, 5, and 8:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip6gCVPj2KM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip6gCVPj2KM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Front Squat

Feels surprisingly heavy, but I do do the FS and PP sets circuit-style. I'll have to get my max FS up there if I ever want to total 450 :D.

Set 3:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1mx05e3sDA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1mx05e3sDA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You don't seem to be shrugging at all. It might be because the weight is light enough for you that you feel you don't need to. But get into the habit of it for when you do heavier reps.

It just doesn't quite look like you're extending fully. Next time you take a video, grab a shot from the front, too. The plates get in the way from the angle you're using and I can't tell if you are actually shrugging or not. Other than that, looks good.

Snatches are looking very good, but I agree that you need to extend more.

^^Thanks for the advice, I'll get a front shot next week.

I started this routine very light, and I'm trying to focus on getting very good form before increasing weight quickly. When I was working on oly lifts last spring (especially snatches), it was unnerving pulling myself under the bar on heavy lifts. So I really want to train my body to be used to catching in rock-bottom position.

I'm sure you're right that I'm not shrugging or even extending fully. Do you think that will lead to problems when I start lifting heavier, or is that an easier thing to fix?

I'm sure you're right that I'm not shrugging or even extending fully. Do you think that will lead to problems when I start lifting heavier, or is that an easier thing to fix?
Yes, because you get used to not and unless you really think about it probably won't shrug much with heavy weight. Get used to doing it now. It actually makes the catch for both lifts easier as well.

I used to think I shrugged when doing these lifts until I was scolded by western canada's strongest man. After fixing that issue my C+J jumped about 10kg and my snatch about 15kg. By not shrugging I was making the lift a hell of a lot harder.

I have a similar issue and it was caused by thinking too much about the drop after the pull. You could try do power cleans/snatches for a week to focus on full extension.

Ok, so I consciously want to think about shrugging. Is the shrug after or during hip extension?

Also, I'm glad you said something because for some reason I thought you weren't supposed to shrug on snatches.

Back